Industrial Deals Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

15,316
Microsoft Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership (Physical Card)
Subscription Length: 12 Months|Format: Card|Change

on June 23, 2015
I purchased a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership for the first time on Amazon a couple years ago and I love the convenience. I typically use the "Online Game Code" option which provides you with a code you enter on your Xbox or within your Xbox Live account. This allows me to make the purchase and basically instantly redeem the code on my Xbox Live account. It's great if you need to quickly start, reactivate or extend membership without waiting for a physical card to arrive in the mail or without needing to run to the store to buy one. I also like using these prepaid cards or codes to pay for Xbox Live over paying with a credit card or debit card. If you pay with a credit/debit card Microsoft typically automatically renews it when your subscription is up. As a single dad I may not always have the required funds where they need to be when that happens. I don't like surprises and the associated fees that come with them. ;) I prefer not having a credit card linked to my Xbox anyway because it helps prevent fraud and the kids can't "accidentally" purchase something.

WHICH MEMBERSHIP LENGTH SHOULD YOU PURCHASE?
Xbox Live membership pre-paid cards/codes are available in 3 month, 12 month or 24 month subscriptions. I typically buy the 12 month and I'll explain why in a minute.

The 3 months option is good if you're on a tight budget or if you're not sure you'll like Xbox Live. I typically avoid the 3 month option because it costs you much more in the long run. If you pay for 12 months of Xbox Live using the 3 month option at $24.99 you'll pay $99.96 for a year of Xbox Live. For 3 cents more you could have purchased a two year subscription card! (Currently $99.99 That's crazy!

I purchase the 12 month subscription because I know we'll want. . . no NEED . . . Xbox Live all year in our household. The 12 month card saves me money over a monthly Credit Card billed subscription or the 3 month options. In fact if you're patient, I know at least the 12 month memberships go on sale from time to time. I think I scored my first one on Amazon for $39.99 which is about $20 off the normal price.

If you've got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket you can also pony up the dough for a 24 month Xbox Live Gold membership and take advantage of the discount it offers. I'm a bit too cheap and try to hold our household to too much of a budget to justify buying the $99.99 24 month subscription card/code. It does save about $20 vs. buying two 12 month cards but the $19.99 it currently saves me isn't enough to justify the expense. If your'e lucky enough to find these Xbox Live Gold membership cards/codes on sale you can always buy and redeem multiples. You can add them at any time and Microsoft allows you to stack them. I believe you can redeem up to 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold membership credits on your account at any one time.

Since many parents/grandparents/adults may be considering buying this as a gift they might have questions. The information below should be helpful in these cases. If you're not new to Xbox Live Gold, just skip the rest of this review!

WHAT THE HECK IS XBOX LIVE GOLD?:
To any parents, grandparents, adults and gamers that don't know what Xbox Live Gold is: it's basically an extra service that allows video game players to play with other players via the internet. Most of today's games are made to be enjoyed by playing them with and against other players online. The days where you sit on the couch and play with 1-2 other people are pretty much gone. The sad truth is to get the most of their video games, Xbox One and Xbox 360 gamers need Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live also allows players to access other features like online video etc but the main focus and benefit is online multiplayer gaming.

A word of caution: Parents, adults, guardians. PLEASE monitor what your kids are doing. Just like you shouldn't turn your impressionable child loose on the internet without any supervision or guidance, you shouldn't turn them loose on Xbox Live. People can chat and interact with each other via Xbox Multiplayer games, messages and more. Many games allow players to create their own emblems, logos etc. It should be no surprise that many people (adults and children) can't behave themselves. Online interactions on Xbox Live Gold are largely out of the control of Xbox and the game developers. There are rules governing the actions of players online, but for the most part things are on the honor system. Things ARE moderated to a certain extent but for the most part any disciplinary action is reactionary and comes long after violations of the Xbox Live terms of service. For example, if they receive enough complaints, Microsoft/Xbox will take action against anyone who is acting inappropriately. Unfortunately this action is typically taken long after your child has been exposed to language or images you didn't want them to be exposed to. Just know if your child plays online multiplayer games they WILL eventually hear adult language and sometimes worse. If you aren't comfortable with this do NOT let them use Xbox Live Gold. You can supervise your child, change settings to reduce risks slightly, but in the end you can't control what other players say or do.
140 helpful votes
141 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on May 17, 2015
I like how this code is sent with code securely hidden behind a serrated panel you gently peel off a sticker then tear open. Easy to access yet hidden from prying eyes. If it is tampered with then you know it has likely been used. The physical object itself I have little to no concern with. i will open it, enter the code, wait until I verify I have my membership time, then toss the card. Once you enter the code on the xbox site (or on your console) the card here is garbage. For some reason I can usually find the physical card cheaper than the online code. Here on Amazon, you can almost always find it for less than the advertised price on the card.
As for the membership being worth it, if you are a social gamer or want a couple free games (as long as they offer games with gold) then yes. This is more ideal if you have lots of friends who also have gold accounts. If only you have it, it still nullifies the gaming together aspect. There is a lot you can do as a silver member too, so if you are on a tight budget or don't have a good circle of gaming buddies, this might not be worth it. Netflix and other streaming media is now free to use (you pay the service company but you do not need Gold to access anymore) so what used to make this worth it is a bit less. I do recommend paying for a year at a time for the value if you choice to get it. To buy in 3 month increments will cost you nearly double.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on April 25, 2017
I love Xbox live. It's my favorite way of socializing since I'm a major introvert. This does exactly what it says - I put in the code on my Xbox and it registered a year of Gold. The code was emailed to me within minutes and I was able to activate it immediately. If I choose to re-up then I'll use Amazon rather than Microsoft - it seems to be just a tad cheaper for the same product.
on June 20, 2016
Be careful when reading the reviews. I almost didn't buy this because of the negative reviews but it was such a good deal I decided to go for it. Realize that most of the reviews for this are for the actual card that gets mailed to you. This product is a digital code that you redeem directly with xbox.com. Because this was sold through Amazon Digital Services, I figured if I did have a problem, it should be relatively easy to get it fixed or get my money back. There were no problems though. I purchased, got an email about my order and 10 seconds later got an email to redeem my code. You click to redeem it on xbox.com, login to your Microsoft account, and redeem it. It shows right then how long the subscription is active for so there can't be any way that a 12 month subscription expires after 1 month, like has happened with other reviewers. I really think some of the bad reviews are for the same product sold by different vendors. Just be smart when you buy and you should be fine.
on July 11, 2016
Very happy with these they arrived quickly and it's less expensive when you order the card rather then the code through email.
Now, I'm not a gamer my son is & we use this with the Xbox One. I was a little concerned after using this card into the system it stated "thank you for subscribing to Xbox360 live Gold" I had no idea why it said that, but then it continues saying "if you're using this on the Xbox one it was converted over to Xbox one Gold Live and appear in your settings and apps"
I went to his settings and apps looking to see if there was something we needed to do manually to convert it to the Xbox one, but I didn't see anything so I'm always assuming the Xbox one does this on its own. If I'm wrong can anyone explain to me how to convert if I'm using the 360 and not even knowing plmk.
My son has no problems as far as getting free games to try and play with his friends FIFA 16
on November 22, 2015
Normally I would not 'review' a Membership card but this one bears a closer look. Literally. Not because it
did not work. On the contrary, it worked perfectly. It is because it is from, or for, another country. I find that
funny because on this web page it says, "This item is not eligible for international shipping". Simple irony.

Except for the X-Box logo, name, and the word 'GOLD' on the face of the paper package most everything
else, that is in white and green, is NOT in English. There is a white overlay sticker on the section that has
restrictions, directions, system requirements, etc.; also the added bar code sticker is in English. (The bar
code and number were obscured by the reviewer.)

I think it was important to mention since some of you may be getting them and may not want to use them
for fear they won't work. The card worked as promised on my son's old X-Box 360. It has been about 4
days now and there have been no problems of any sort.

So you can take a peek at the photos I've uploaded for your own amusement and be 99.9% assured that
your foreign X-Box Gold card will work in spite of the foreign language. Aren't we just the bon vivant.

So 5 Stars for the foreign Gold card that worked as promised even if they promised in another language!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update April 2016: Absolutely no problems in the past few months of use.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
96 helpful votes
97 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on July 19, 2015
What is there to say really? Never pay full price for an XBL subscription. Go into your XBL account settings, disable the "autorenew" feature and never pay the full $59.99 for 1 year of XBL again. XBL is an incredible service and worth every penny in my opinion. If you still own your xbox 360 and an xbox one, you get 4 games per month (2 for each console). If you're not taking advantage of this feature, you really should get in the habit of downloading the new games each month. They are yours to keep as long as you download them during the promotional period.

In addition, there are many games that go on sale with exclusive pricing for gold subscribers. Unless it is a big title that I feel the need to get my hands on from day one, you can often wait 2-3 months after a game's release and you're sure to see some heavily discounted games promotions.

If you're not a gold subscriber - it is worth the discounted price for 12 months of service. If you're in need of a renewal, don't ever pay full price. There is always a good deal on Amazon. The card with the code arrives quickly and keep in mind the membership codes DO STACK. What I mean by that is, let's say you still have 3 months on our current subscription, the 12 month subscription code is added onto your remaining subscription, so your expiration will be pushed back 15 months. It does not override your current subscription, but adds to it, just in case anyone was wondering about that.
on April 29, 2017
Loved the digital codes. Instead of putting in my credit cards, we use this. Quicker, easier and safer. Came to my email within seconds of ordering.
2 helpful votes
on April 10, 2016
We get XBOX Live every year because our family loves the free games and online play :)

As a wife and as a mom of 3 kids, I spend a lot of time shopping for deals on the best products out there for my family. It's important to me that if we're spending our hard earned money that we get a top notch product in return. I often rely on the reviews and opinions of others when contemplating purchasing a new product that I haven't tried before myself. Because of that, any products that I buy (whether on Amazon or from a 3rd party) I always make sure to leave a detailed review of the product to help others when selecting items to purchase, as well. My family tests these products fully before forming a solid opinion and writing a review. When I write a review, I keep in mind that those reading are also looking for honesty about the product and want an unbiased opinion to go by. If my review has been helpful to you, please give me a "Yes" vote on my review. Thank you!
on June 23, 2017
Just a Heads Up.. It's Digital so once Bought you'll either receive an Email or be Redirected to the Page and the Code is good till Used and 12 Months of Xbox Live with ALL Live Has to Offer is Pretty Great especially because You Don't have to wait for Shipping!

- BruhMonJee (YouTube - DJ - BRUHcorp.)
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.