Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

14,647
Subscription Length: 12 Months|Format: Card|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13,837 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14,647 reviews
on December 19, 2006
To start off, I'd like to say that X-Box Live is amazing and worth every penny. Online gaming is incredibly fun and quite a good way to pass time.

That aside, there are downsides to X-Box Live that can be avoided through prepaid cards. Number one, you always run the risk that unwarranted transactions will be made if your credit card information is stored on your X-Box 360 system. It may not happen all that often, but it's best to avoid it all together.

The biggest reason to buy prepaid Xbox Live card is the renewal process that happens when you don't use one. If you order X-Box Live through your system, it'll renew every time your subscription runs out. This wouldn't be a problem except that it's not that easy to cancel. Instead of canceling through your system, you have to go through the hassle of actually calling X-Box Live support. Even then, depending on the representative you get, you may be hassled to keep your subscription because they really don't want you to cancel it. I'm guessing that's part of their job to convince you to keep it, but it still is frustrating to the person that is trying to cancel it.

You'll have to go through this process every time you want to cancel if you don't use a prepaid card. Is that hassle really worth it? I don't think so. Therefore, avoid all of the problems by simply buying a prepaid card. You won't be sorry.

UPDATE: (3/6/2011): I updated this review about a year ago pointing out that you could disable the subscription on X-Box Live's website. As of this update, they've taken that feature away again. I'm guessing Microsoft must have seen a major increase on people who canceled their subscription, thus now forcing you to call their customer service hot-line again to cancel. Even if they add it back, just save yourself the hassle and get a prepaid card. You never have to worry about dealing with customer service that will try their hardest to get you to stay on as a recurring customer. Amazon also gives great deals throughout the year. You could save yourself $20 to $30 sometimes just by checking to see if Amazon has these prepaid cards on sale. What's not to love about that?
5656 comments| 1,246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2015
Normally I would not 'review' a Membership card but this one bears a closer look. Literally. Not because it
did not work. On the contrary, it worked perfectly. It is because it is from, or for, another country. I find that
funny because on this web page it says, "This item is not eligible for international shipping". Simple irony.

Except for the X-Box logo, name, and the word 'GOLD' on the face of the paper package most everything
else, that is in white and green, is NOT in English. There is a white overlay sticker on the section that has
restrictions, directions, system requirements, etc.; also the added bar code sticker is in English. (The bar
code and number were obscured by the reviewer.)

I think it was important to mention since some of you may be getting them and may not want to use them
for fear they won't work. The card worked as promised on my son's old X-Box 360. It has been about 4
days now and there have been no problems of any sort.

So you can take a peek at the photos I've uploaded for your own amusement and be 99.9% assured that
your foreign X-Box Gold card will work in spite of the foreign language. Aren't we just the bon vivant.

So 5 Stars for the foreign Gold card that worked as promised even if they promised in another language!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update April 2016: Absolutely no problems in the past few months of use.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 23, 2015
I purchased a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership for the first time on Amazon a couple years ago and I love the convenience. I typically use the "Online Game Code" option which provides you with a code you enter on your Xbox or within your Xbox Live account. This allows me to make the purchase and basically instantly redeem the code on my Xbox Live account. It's great if you need to quickly start, reactivate or extend membership without waiting for a physical card to arrive in the mail or without needing to run to the store to buy one. I also like using these prepaid cards or codes to pay for Xbox Live over paying with a credit card or debit card. If you pay with a credit/debit card Microsoft typically automatically renews it when your subscription is up. As a single dad I may not always have the required funds where they need to be when that happens. I don't like surprises and the associated fees that come with them. ;) I prefer not having a credit card linked to my Xbox anyway because it helps prevent fraud and the kids can't "accidentally" purchase something.

WHICH MEMBERSHIP LENGTH SHOULD YOU PURCHASE?
Xbox Live membership pre-paid cards/codes are available in 3 month, 12 month or 24 month subscriptions. I typically buy the 12 month and I'll explain why in a minute.

The 3 months option is good if you're on a tight budget or if you're not sure you'll like Xbox Live. I typically avoid the 3 month option because it costs you much more in the long run. If you pay for 12 months of Xbox Live using the 3 month option at $24.99 you'll pay $99.96 for a year of Xbox Live. For 3 cents more you could have purchased a two year subscription card! (Currently $99.99 That's crazy!

I purchase the 12 month subscription because I know we'll want. . . no NEED . . . Xbox Live all year in our household. The 12 month card saves me money over a monthly Credit Card billed subscription or the 3 month options. In fact if you're patient, I know at least the 12 month memberships go on sale from time to time. I think I scored my first one on Amazon for $39.99 which is about $20 off the normal price.

If you've got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket you can also pony up the dough for a 24 month Xbox Live Gold membership and take advantage of the discount it offers. I'm a bit too cheap and try to hold our household to too much of a budget to justify buying the $99.99 24 month subscription card/code. It does save about $20 vs. buying two 12 month cards but the $19.99 it currently saves me isn't enough to justify the expense. If your'e lucky enough to find these Xbox Live Gold membership cards/codes on sale you can always buy and redeem multiples. You can add them at any time and Microsoft allows you to stack them. I believe you can redeem up to 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold membership credits on your account at any one time.

Since many parents/grandparents/adults may be considering buying this as a gift they might have questions. The information below should be helpful in these cases. If you're not new to Xbox Live Gold, just skip the rest of this review!

WHAT THE HECK IS XBOX LIVE GOLD?:
To any parents, grandparents, adults and gamers that don't know what Xbox Live Gold is: it's basically an extra service that allows video game players to play with other players via the internet. Most of today's games are made to be enjoyed by playing them with and against other players online. The days where you sit on the couch and play with 1-2 other people are pretty much gone. The sad truth is to get the most of their video games, Xbox One and Xbox 360 gamers need Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live also allows players to access other features like online video etc but the main focus and benefit is online multiplayer gaming.

A word of caution: Parents, adults, guardians. PLEASE monitor what your kids are doing. Just like you shouldn't turn your impressionable child loose on the internet without any supervision or guidance, you shouldn't turn them loose on Xbox Live. People can chat and interact with each other via Xbox Multiplayer games, messages and more. Many games allow players to create their own emblems, logos etc. It should be no surprise that many people (adults and children) can't behave themselves. Online interactions on Xbox Live Gold are largely out of the control of Xbox and the game developers. There are rules governing the actions of players online, but for the most part things are on the honor system. Things ARE moderated to a certain extent but for the most part any disciplinary action is reactionary and comes long after violations of the Xbox Live terms of service. For example, if they receive enough complaints, Microsoft/Xbox will take action against anyone who is acting inappropriately. Unfortunately this action is typically taken long after your child has been exposed to language or images you didn't want them to be exposed to. Just know if your child plays online multiplayer games they WILL eventually hear adult language and sometimes worse. If you aren't comfortable with this do NOT let them use Xbox Live Gold. You can supervise your child, change settings to reduce risks slightly, but in the end you can't control what other players say or do.
55 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2016
Spent the last hour trying to get this to work.

Tried multiple times on Xbox.com and on the xbox itself. Sometimes it asks for the code, sometimes i dont have to before i hit redeem. Either way keeps giving me this error:

"Something went wrong
Give it another try. If this happens again, let us know by entering the code below at xbox.com/errorhelp so we can investigate.

(The code listed below is always nonsense and some of the suggestions to 'get it to work' are nonsense too. ie "Tips for trying again: If the error code begins with the letter “E,” try searching on the first part of the code. Example For “E305 00000000 80000001,” search for “E305.” If the error code is 24 digits long, try searching on the last 8 digits.)

I'll update if the code ends up working. so far, not so good.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 24, 2017
I've had Microsoft Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership for one year already and I bought another one (this time on Ebay, because it was only 43$). I would recommend to buy it for everyone who has an Xbox because it has some good perks:
- With Xbox Live Gold, you can play with your friends and save all your game clips and photos to Microsoft’s servers for accessing later.
- Every Tuesday, Microsoft heavily discounts games available on Xbox Live for digital download.
- With the free games and deals, it all comes down to taste. Often times, Microsoft offers some big-name hits and exclusives as a part of Games with Gold.

If online gaming is something that you feel you want to do, definitely check out Xbox Live Gold. Pay for a month or start a free trial. Get a feel for how it works.

You definitely won't have some new games on huge discounts, but you can get one-year-old games for free. Now, I buy games only on discounts or download it for free, using my gold membership.
on June 7, 2016
My family has had Xbox Live Gold memberships for several years. Every time a membership is about to lapse I begin furiously looking for reduced price memberships. The gold memberships allow you to play certain games with other members online and you also get a certain number of free downloadable games every month. Free games are always great. Even if they aren't the best games, having something new to play is a big hit at my house.
By purchasing the digital code you eliminate the need to waste gas driving to the store or waiting several days for a code to arrive in the mail. I had my digital code in my Amazon account within minutes. I entered the code into my Xbox Live account and was playing with friends online a few minutes later.
on March 29, 2017
I should have read the reviews before buying this. A lot of people are having issues activating this card. After many failed tries, I was getting pretty frustrated. I read somewhere to wait until your current membership expired before trying to activate the card.

So I waited, and I tried to activate the card again. No dice. I tried on the Xbox 1 and on an internet browser on my PC. Just as I was about to contact Microsoft, I decided to just punch it in one more time on my Xbox 1 and, sure enough, a confirmation screen appeared stating that 12 months had been added to my account.

While the card ended up working in the end, someone needs to look into this. Many people have had issues activating their cards. It has caused frustration, confusion, and even some panic. These cards should work right away, and you should be able to activate them at any time. If not, it should be stated in the product information.
on October 9, 2016
After multiple attempts to get this card for the Xbox One, when we finally got the right one, it behaves exactly as it is supposed to. HOWEVER, beware of what card you are buying, especially if it is part of a starter pack (with different peripherals like keyboards or headsets). This is NOT a reflection on this seller who was awesome. But I had attempted twice to buy a starter kit with the 12 month Xbox Live membership card because it seemed like a good deal to add a headset and keyboard for my son. Many of the retailers of these kits, however, do not list the version of Xbox these are for - and I was told by them as well as other supposedly reputable sources (a national game seller chain for instance) that these cards all work on the Xbox One and that Microsoft had changed the name of its service (adding Gold, etc.) but they still work. NO THEY DO NOT! Verify with the seller that what you are purchasing will work with the system you have. Don't take it on faith or you'll be going through the hassle I did. That being said, the Xbox Live/Gold/Whatever cards are great and my son loves his membership!
on January 3, 2017
I bought a 12-month Xbox Live subscription card from ProElectronics (Amazon) at the end of August. It was on sale for $49.99, and I planned on holding on to it and activating it on January 1, 2017. When I tried to activate it, I got a message saying that the code wasn't active and that I would need to contact the seller. I contacted ProElectronic, and they told me that because it had been over a month since I purchased it, they wouldn't help me. They told me to contact Microsoft instead. I guess they have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee or something, so in that respect, I understand it's my fault for not trying to register the code immediately. My guess is that somebody there forgot to scan the card, thus making it useable, before shipping it to me. Long story short, I spent $50 on absolutely nothing. Buy at your own risk, and saving $10 is not worth the aggravation that could potentially result. Your best bet is just buying a digital code, directly from Amazon.
review image
on April 2, 2017
The subscription purchased is straight forward and as was expected. My mediocre review is for the method used to send the redemption codes. Both the 12 month subscription code and the $10 promotional code from my purchase were sent in notification emails. Since these codes also go into your Amazon "Games and Software Library" where they are password protected, I'm not sure why they are also sent plain text in an email. This gives any mischievous person in-between free access. Luckily I got the 12 month subscription redeemed for myself, but when trying to redeem my $10 promo code ~20 minutes after purchase it was too late. Considering the way things are these days with cyber crime, this is poor practice. Had I known this, I would have bought straight from Microsoft since it is the same price without the promo $$.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.