Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

15,068
Subscription Length: 12 Months|Format: Card|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14,250 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15,068 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 23, 2015
I purchased a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership for the first time on Amazon a couple years ago and I love the convenience. I typically use the "Online Game Code" option which provides you with a code you enter on your Xbox or within your Xbox Live account. This allows me to make the purchase and basically instantly redeem the code on my Xbox Live account. It's great if you need to quickly start, reactivate or extend membership without waiting for a physical card to arrive in the mail or without needing to run to the store to buy one. I also like using these prepaid cards or codes to pay for Xbox Live over paying with a credit card or debit card. If you pay with a credit/debit card Microsoft typically automatically renews it when your subscription is up. As a single dad I may not always have the required funds where they need to be when that happens. I don't like surprises and the associated fees that come with them. ;) I prefer not having a credit card linked to my Xbox anyway because it helps prevent fraud and the kids can't "accidentally" purchase something.

WHICH MEMBERSHIP LENGTH SHOULD YOU PURCHASE?
Xbox Live membership pre-paid cards/codes are available in 3 month, 12 month or 24 month subscriptions. I typically buy the 12 month and I'll explain why in a minute.

The 3 months option is good if you're on a tight budget or if you're not sure you'll like Xbox Live. I typically avoid the 3 month option because it costs you much more in the long run. If you pay for 12 months of Xbox Live using the 3 month option at $24.99 you'll pay $99.96 for a year of Xbox Live. For 3 cents more you could have purchased a two year subscription card! (Currently $99.99 That's crazy!

I purchase the 12 month subscription because I know we'll want. . . no NEED . . . Xbox Live all year in our household. The 12 month card saves me money over a monthly Credit Card billed subscription or the 3 month options. In fact if you're patient, I know at least the 12 month memberships go on sale from time to time. I think I scored my first one on Amazon for $39.99 which is about $20 off the normal price.

If you've got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket you can also pony up the dough for a 24 month Xbox Live Gold membership and take advantage of the discount it offers. I'm a bit too cheap and try to hold our household to too much of a budget to justify buying the $99.99 24 month subscription card/code. It does save about $20 vs. buying two 12 month cards but the $19.99 it currently saves me isn't enough to justify the expense. If your'e lucky enough to find these Xbox Live Gold membership cards/codes on sale you can always buy and redeem multiples. You can add them at any time and Microsoft allows you to stack them. I believe you can redeem up to 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold membership credits on your account at any one time.

Since many parents/grandparents/adults may be considering buying this as a gift they might have questions. The information below should be helpful in these cases. If you're not new to Xbox Live Gold, just skip the rest of this review!

WHAT THE HECK IS XBOX LIVE GOLD?:
To any parents, grandparents, adults and gamers that don't know what Xbox Live Gold is: it's basically an extra service that allows video game players to play with other players via the internet. Most of today's games are made to be enjoyed by playing them with and against other players online. The days where you sit on the couch and play with 1-2 other people are pretty much gone. The sad truth is to get the most of their video games, Xbox One and Xbox 360 gamers need Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live also allows players to access other features like online video etc but the main focus and benefit is online multiplayer gaming.

A word of caution: Parents, adults, guardians. PLEASE monitor what your kids are doing. Just like you shouldn't turn your impressionable child loose on the internet without any supervision or guidance, you shouldn't turn them loose on Xbox Live. People can chat and interact with each other via Xbox Multiplayer games, messages and more. Many games allow players to create their own emblems, logos etc. It should be no surprise that many people (adults and children) can't behave themselves. Online interactions on Xbox Live Gold are largely out of the control of Xbox and the game developers. There are rules governing the actions of players online, but for the most part things are on the honor system. Things ARE moderated to a certain extent but for the most part any disciplinary action is reactionary and comes long after violations of the Xbox Live terms of service. For example, if they receive enough complaints, Microsoft/Xbox will take action against anyone who is acting inappropriately. Unfortunately this action is typically taken long after your child has been exposed to language or images you didn't want them to be exposed to. Just know if your child plays online multiplayer games they WILL eventually hear adult language and sometimes worse. If you aren't comfortable with this do NOT let them use Xbox Live Gold. You can supervise your child, change settings to reduce risks slightly, but in the end you can't control what other players say or do.
55 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
Although you can purchase an Xbox Live Gold Membership at any number of retail stores or online shops, I found it most cost effective to purchase it from amazon.com. Why? Three basic reasons:

1. Cheapest price - This is pretty much a given, right? Amazon generally has cheaper prices on products than most stores, and if you opt for a code rather than for a physical card, you know you're going to save a few bucks. At the time I purchased my online code, I got a price $10 less than the asking price for the physical card.

2. No sales tax - For the time being, this is going to be the case for most buyers. The government will likely start applying sales tax to online purchases in the next year or so, depending on how much backlash the public throws at them. Given the current state of our complacent and ignorant populace, it is very unlikely that this can be prevented from happening.

3. Bonus offers included - This is time sensitive. At various times of the year, amazon or Microsoft will have bonus offers for their products. At the time of my own most recent purchase (on Christmas Day of 2013), I received redemption codes for three free game downloads.

This was the best deal I came across, and I doubt I could have found a better deal had I spent all day searching for them. I would definitely recommend this method of subscription/renewal for the Xbox Live Gold Membership.
on June 8, 2016
First off I don't like Microsoft or any game service having my credit card info!

1) After having to deal with the aftermath of someone breaking into my account and racking up $200+ in charges to my card on file.
2) Microsoft automatically re-subscribing if your card is on file (which could be bad if you are low on money when your subscription expires).

I found it a huge pain dealing with Microsoft when someone makes unauthorized purchases using your card on file. I had to get my bank involved to get my money back since Microsoft would barely do anything to resolve the issue.

So I really like that Amazon has this service available. I get an instant code for a Live subscription seconds after checkout, and piece of mind knowing Microsoft doesn't have any of my card info. Trust me, don't keep your card on file on your Xbox. It's safer and saves you headache in the long run.
on November 22, 2015
Normally I would not 'review' a Membership card but this one bears a closer look. Literally. Not because it
did not work. On the contrary, it worked perfectly. It is because it is from, or for, another country. I find that
funny because on this web page it says, "This item is not eligible for international shipping". Simple irony.

Except for the X-Box logo, name, and the word 'GOLD' on the face of the paper package most everything
else, that is in white and green, is NOT in English. There is a white overlay sticker on the section that has
restrictions, directions, system requirements, etc.; also the added bar code sticker is in English. (The bar
code and number were obscured by the reviewer.)

I think it was important to mention since some of you may be getting them and may not want to use them
for fear they won't work. The card worked as promised on my son's old X-Box 360. It has been about 4
days now and there have been no problems of any sort.

So you can take a peek at the photos I've uploaded for your own amusement and be 99.9% assured that
your foreign X-Box Gold card will work in spite of the foreign language. Aren't we just the bon vivant.

So 5 Stars for the foreign Gold card that worked as promised even if they promised in another language!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update April 2016: Absolutely no problems in the past few months of use.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2014
A buddy before said he had done the same thing and does not play any Xbox games but he and his wife just use it for HD movies/TV because of the quality. I now have to agree. Thus I purchase the 12 month Gold to continue to have access to Amazon and Netflix after the one month trial. I also have tested several on-demand streaming devices like Roku and PC-to-HDTV and so far nothing can beat Xbox's quality. I did make sure my Xbox is connected via a Cat 6 cable instead of WiFi but at first I used WiFi and still saw a better quality than my Roku HD and PC-to-HDTV.

I do play Xbox games and greatly appreciate the two free games they give away each month to Gold members. And they are not cheap games. They are the full versions of high-end games.
on June 14, 2016
You have to love xbox live and for this amount it is a steal.With xbox live you get to connect with your friends in the gaming community play games, chat, and even watch movies together on your netflix account and so much more. one of the best features of xbox live is it pays for it self in the rewards it brings to your console you get four free games every month as a gold member. Knowing the prices of xbox games you know that 4 games free costs way more then the one 39.99 your paying with this deal. I recommend grabing one up while you can at this price its to good to pass up.
on February 20, 2017
I needed xbox live gold in a hurry (wanted to watch HBOgo) and this came through in the clutch. I clicked "buy" and seconds later, I was entering in the code to activate my next year of membership. I rarely play games online anymore but use my 360 for all of my video streaming. Maybe one day I will switch over to a roku or a chromecast or something, but I still love the interface on the 360 more than anything else I have used and will continue to use it for at least another year.
on April 18, 2016
** I did not get paid, nor did I receive a discounted or free product for this review. ** The product is what it is. A discounted 12 month subscription. Would I like to find it cheaper, yeah. Did I, no. I only gave four stars because I ran into a slight issue after redeeming the code. Now this issue may be an individual and situation issue however, it may not be. I had a current subscription when I redeemed this code and for some reason it did not process it correctly. By this I mean, I was still getting billed a monthly subscription even though I properly redeemed the 12 month sub. I wasn't aware of this until about a month or two in. Once I realized, I called xbox customer support and they cleared it up for me. However, it is quite annoying. They gave me a series of monthly codes broken down (so a couple 1 month, 2 three month etc). So, for me it was a bit of a hassle but still worth the slight discount. Good luck.
on November 26, 2015
My son is so extremely happy with this purchase. He had been begging me for a new XBox live card for some time.
I managed to con some extra chores out of him and rewarded him with a prize of his choice.
Since I like to save money I looked on Amazon to find a good deal on cards and this one was perfect. It saved me money over what I would have paid in the store and I didn't have to drive around to find one. (living in the boonies means travel for most things)
This card delivered.
The code worked perfectly for him and he says it gave him the 12 months like promised.

Bonus, he can now get back to playing online with friends he made there.
on March 13, 2017
I recommend you save money on the best online gaming console community. Buying month-by-month membership will cost a lot more than this 12-months membership, plus if you purchased from Amazon, usually it costs about $10 cheaper vs directly thru Microsoft and other vendors.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.