Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on January 26, 2006
This keyboard is a very good value. It has only a PS2 connection, so if you need to use USB you will need a converter plug. I needed a PS2, so it was OK for me. Also, I deducted one star because the cord for connecting to the computer is a little shorter than the one I had, but if your computer isn't too far from your keyboard, you'll be ok. Keys are quiet and require minimal pressure. Has a top row of quick link keys including Favorites, Mail, Homepage and Music and others. Nothing fancy, but if you need a simple, quiet keyboard this one will work well for you.
on April 3, 2007
Good, but just short of great. The key action is nice and light, the low-travel makes it very easy for your fingers to really fly across the keys, and pretty quietly, too. I like the fact that they are trying to make keyboards that are more spill resistant, because I have killed more than one keyboard by spilling a drink on it. I have no idea how well the spill-resistance is, though, as I am not about to willfully go testing it out or anything.

The profile is very thin, and the footprint is also smaller than average. Personally, I would not have minded having the keyboard be a little bit wider, because in order to save space, Microsoft has re-arranged the insert-delete-home-end-pgup pgdn keys to be in a two vertical lines instead of the more common two horizontal lines. I use those keys quite a bit for text file navigation while programming, a learning how to use this new configuration by touch took me a week or so, which was kind of annoying.

Another small niggle is the lack of a usb adapter. Do doubt, it helps keep the price down, but I would really love to be able to use this keyboard with my iBook as well as my PC, but in order to do that, I'll have to buy a third-party adapter.

And, as always, the inclusion of the extra keys at the top of the keyboard are almost useless. I say almost, because I do actually use the calculator key often enough, but the rest are nothing but a waste of space.

Despite these complaints, I still think the one thing that Microsoft still does well is hardware. Their keyboards and mice are pretty solid. As a basic, no frills keyboard, this is much better than you would usually get so for cheap.
on February 3, 2007
This is by far the cheapest (price) keyboard I've ever owned, and by far the best. All the buttons work too with my Windows XP Pro, ALL OF THEM!!!!! I replaced a much more expensive keyboard with this one and I'm happy I did. It's smaller, doesn't take up a lot of room, NO software to download like the others, and everything works out of the box. I'd spend twice as much in the store for an inferior model. Plus, if you spill something on it, it's not history like my old one.
on February 15, 2009
I have used most of Microsoft's keyboards. With a typing speed of 180wpm (Mavis Beacon) and a computer related job - keyboards are my life.

I got this new keyboard with my new Dell system at work last week. At first I thought these keyboards would be pretty crappy because of their $14 price tag. The first thing you notice when you type on these keyboards is how quiet they sound... Well, that goes away with a few hours of use (for me anyways). After a few days of use the keys really loosen up and become pretty loud so if you are looking for a quiet keyboard, this isn't it. However, the smoothness of the keys allows for some pretty fast typing. I bought one for home and have been using this keyboard as my main keyboard for a few days because I liked it so much. It is pretty compact, doesn't require any drivers for the special keys to work, I like the build and ease of key presses.

I'm surprised how long and how fast I can type without the "wearing" out feel I got with other normal keyboards. This keyboard will remain my "main" keyboard for many months at work and at home.

Compared to the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 - this keyboard is much more quiet and takes much less desk space. There is also more keypress length (whereas the Comfort Curve 2000 has a notebook feel). This keyboard is significantly lighter as well but it has well built/placed rubber grips so it does not slide on the desk no matter how hard/fast you type.

I'd definitely recommend this keyboard for anyone looking for a well built cheap keyboard.
on July 20, 2009
Hello, world! I recently purchased this product after my old and dusty keyboard's S key stopped working. This is an excellent product and was delivered to my door early to my surprise. It was fairly inexpensive and although my monitor is fairly new, it still used the old PS/2 connectors for the mouse and keyboard. To avoid the extra costs of an adaptor, purchasing a PS/2 keyboard was my finest choice. The Microsoft Wired PS/2 Keyboard was evidently the perfect keyboard choice for me!

Contrary to what many other reviewers say, my keyboard did not make much noise when it was in use. In fact, it was quiterer than my previous VAIO keyboard. The shortcut keys on the top of the keyboard, especially the Calculator option, are very useful for everyday computing. The first time I plugged in the keyboard, the shortcut keys were very slow, although the second or third time I pressed one of the shortcuts, it worked instantly. Some of the shortcuts were not compatible with my computer, although they may work with others.
The keyboard was shipped in a standard medium-sized Amazon box, with air bags inside.

All in all, the Microsoft Wired PS/2 Keyboard is the quintessential choice of keyboards for anyone looking for a PS/2 keyboard that is cheap but very efficient.
I like a keyboard that is plain and simple in its functionality, and this one does the trick for me. I personally never use the number keypad on any keyboard, so I could do without it, but it doesn't get in my way. The keys on this keyboard have a really pleasant, smooth action, no sticking of any kind, which is very important to me. I find that when keys are hard to push down, it can set off carpal tunnel pain in my hands, wrists and forearms.

I do have one, for me, minor complaint about this particular keyboard. Like most keyboards that are used a lot, after 10 months, some of the letters are starting to wear off the keys. Fortunately, I am a touch typist, so that doesn't bother me all that much, but it could be a problem for a hunt-and-peck typist. Letters wearing off has proven much more of a problem for me with the tiny keyboard of my Kindle Keyboard. It is too small for anyone to do more than hunt-and-peck and I have to stop and visualize the QWERTY keyboard and fill in the blanks when I use it.
on February 4, 2013
Five stars for this one! It types quiet and has reliable accuracy due to the PS/2 wired connection. Really... if you have a desktop computer, is there a need for a wireless keyboard? I felt like I had enough wireless gadgets without needing to throw in another one to the mix. It would be just one more thing that would need a battery and has the potential for causing interference. Not with this keyboard! No battery, no interference and no communication errors with your computer! I bought this because I was trying to access my BIOS on my Dell Dimension 8300 from 2004. My other PS/2 connection keyboard stopped working due to a drink spill and my new Logitech illuminated USB connection keyboard would not access my BIOS with the F2 key or even function at all before Windows XP Home Edition started. This keyboard accesses my BIOS perfectly and is a welcomed addition to my system! The hot keys are helpful also and a nice addition. Highly recommended! The only feature it is missing in my opinion is it being illuminated... can't always have everything.
on August 14, 2013
This is a somewhat compact design, such that it only has one start button key, perhaps to mimic the layout of Mac keyboards. That said, all in all, this is a very good keyboard, provided you can manage without the second start key. All this means is that you won't be doing the one-handed desktop lock to which I was, previously, accustomed. Otherwise, this unit's performance is outstanding. Unfortunately, however, the special shortcut keys seem to be of little value to me, since it may be my KVM setup that is preventing them from working. I thought it might be the versions of Windows I have, but none of them work in my setup and at least one other buyer has said that it worked perfectly for them on both Windows XP and Windows 7, as well as a buyer who also said it worked for XP, and I have Windows XP, VIsta, 7, and 8, no less. But, if you have a PS/2+USB KVM, you, too, may find that they don't work. Keeping it PS/2 to PS/2 may solve that issue, but my KVM and systems capabilities require that I input PS/2 into the KVM and then USB out to the computers, or not all of the systems will function. No problem, I don't usually use those keys anyway, but they're included. Had I a USB-only KVM, you would not be reading this review. Still, a very good product for the price.
on March 9, 2012
I originally bought this keyboard at staples for around $15.00, two years ago, and since then I haven't had a single complaint. Unfourtanetly somebody in my household dropped something on it and broke one of the feet that holds it up, and so that's how I ended up on Amazon to buy it, in fact I liked this keyboard so much I bought two of them just so I have a spare. Anyway on to the review

This keyboard is quiet, comfortable, has just enough features and is reliable. It's to put it simply, just a keyboard, so if your looking for a fancy keyboard than this isnt it. However if you just want a no-nonsense, simple, easy to use keyboard than this is the one. It is quiet when being typed on, and atleast for me it is really comfortable to use for extended periods. I also like the quick access buttons on the top, though I have only ever used the volume and the calculator. The nicest part about these quick access buttons is that they seem to just work, I used to have XP Home Edition and the buttons all worked, and now after upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, they still work perfectly, didn't need any kind of drivers or silly things like that.

Another nice feature (or bad depending on your viewpoint) is the fact that it uses PS/2, which personally I prefer to USB, atleast for keyboards. However you should make sure what you are buying this for actually has a PS/2 port, as most laptops and some desktops no longer feature the PS/2 port, so just keep that in mind.

Overall I would say that this keyboard does what it says on the tin, so to speak, and for that reason I give it five stars, it just works!
on January 31, 2008
Spent a year or so with this keyboard now and its faults finally came up and annoyed me enough to get a new keyboard. The layout is nice and it's cheap and it works, but its price does show through in some aspects.

For one, it has a pretty bad "multiple keypress" problem, where key presses stop registering if you're holding too many keys at once. This can be a problem in games when you're often holding down movement keys.

Another is that some keys will start to "stick" over time and typing will begin to feel like it takes a lot more effort. The Ctrl and Delete keys in particular. It just becomes annoying to type with.

See 1 answered question