- File Size: 250 KB
- Print Length: 69 pages
- Publisher: RosettaBooks (October 1, 2011)
- Publication Date: October 1, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00COO9BWI
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#466,045 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #986 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- #1654 in Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- #1679 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
The Midas Plague (The Galaxy Project Book 17) Kindle Edition
|Length: 69 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
- Similar books to The Midas Plague (The Galaxy Project Book 17)
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Reading it again, I understand that I was not just enjoying the plot, but getting a deep but subtle commentary on science, economics, interpersonal relationships, and politics hidden away inside a fun story. I know well-crafted stores influenced me subtly in many ways in later life, and I thank Pohl for being the master writer and laying the groundwork for critical thinking in me.
You will have a good deal of fun with this, and face questions that we still haven't answered.
About Galaxy Magazine
About Science Fiction Novelettes and Novellas
About the Author
About the Author of the eForeward
About the Jacket
The Midas Plague
There are 6 introductory sections for one novelette! And they are pretty bad, too -- cold, incomplete, and dull. As far as I can tell, all those introductions are good for nothing for but padding the page count.
The story is marred by more than a dozen OCR transcription errors and one bad duplicate passage. I know the budget must be tight, but come on.
The jacket is a nice touch, though.
The story itself is a wacky "what if". As another reviewer posted, it depicts people behaving irrationally in an irrational world. That makes it more of a satire rather than a serious work. Pohl manages to pull off the satire long enough to carry the story.
It tells a good story, the roll reversal between wealthy and poor was why I remembered it in the first place; it is more than mere entertainment.
Fun to read a classic Sci-fi story.
Interesting journey back to expectations of the present.
Of course, I was s child when he wrote this story, but my parents were avid fans.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I got two of these 50s Sci Fi books on a whim and I just couldn't get into this one. The story brings to mind demolition man with Sylvester StallonePublished 1 month ago by Gerry Mc
Sincerely, it took me a lot of willpower to finish it, very much out of the 50s and it feels it.Published 13 months ago by brudigia
Thoroughly digestible race through one of Frederik Pohl's classic propositions on society. This reads like a hard-boiled radio stage play.Published 14 months ago by Will C
A short story written in the early 1950s it was enlightening in that things haven't changed all that much from today, 2014. Read morePublished 23 months ago by linda
Frederik Pohl wrote some satirical masterpieces of SF, including his brilliant collaborations with C.M. Kornbluth The Space Merchants and Gladiator at Law. Read morePublished on July 20, 2014 by Elliot
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Anthologies & Literature Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories