Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2010
The third and final 2010 US release of Midsomer Murders, contains four episodes:
Ep 63 Midsomer Life broadcast Jul 13, 2008
Ep 64 The Magician's Nephew b. Jul 27, 2008
Ep.65 Days of Misrule b. Dec 24, 2008 Christmas Special
Ep.66 Talking to the Dead b. Aug 05, 2008
(episode numbers may be off by one, as the original broadcast dates vary depending on source)

After close to 200 murders, I thought all possible ways of "dispatch" have been explored. Not so. The inventive MM writers manage to surprise again, as they introduce South American poison-dart frogs as a new murder weapon (in The Magician's Nephew)!

But, on to the good stuff:
As most are aware by now, John Nettles (66) is leaving the show in August this year. His last appearance will be in ep.82. His replacement has finally been revealed! The episode airing tonight on British TV (ep.75 The Sword of Guillaume) will see a new character introduced: John Barnaby, Tom Barnaby's nephew, will arrive in Midsomer, to help with a case while Tom is away. He will eventually take over as DCI, when Tom retires. The character is played by Neil Dudgeon (49), a hard working British TV actor, with a few screen films behind his belt; you may have seen him as Joshua in the 2008 comedy The Son of Rambow. So, there you have it! Only time will tell how the replacement works out. Most comments, regarding the actor's potential to succeed in Midsomer, have so far been positive. Taking into consideration the speed of Acorn releases in the US, we will have to wait till 2013 before we can judge for ourselves...

PS: For those new to this British masterpiece, Midsomer Murders is a long running "who done it", based on the novels of Caroline Graham, starring John Nettles (of the Bergerac fame) as the unflappable Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby. The series is set in the fictional Misomer County, which comprises of many cozy, rural villages, where wealthy and poor alike seem to do each other in at an average rate of three to four bodies per episode. The series has a worldwide following, not in the least due to the creative and macabre ways in which the MM victims are typically dispatched.
255 helpful votes
256 helpful votes
3030 comments|Report abuse
on June 21, 2010
I have never written a review before but wanted to weigh in on this one. I have to agree with all the reviews I have read. This series is without a doubt, the best I have ever seen. No one does a mystery like the Enlish. I was so unhappy when A&E stopped airing the series but I have bought all the DVDs for the series so I can enjoy the show time and time again. I only wish it did not take so long to get the latest series into DVD form here in the States. However long it takes I will continue to add to my collection of Midsomer Murders. I will be very interesting in the new DCI, I hope the series continues and most importantly the quality.
27 helpful votes
28 helpful votes
on September 30, 2010
Midsomer Murders Set 16 was so worth the wait!! I think it was the best season yet. All four entries were superb. It was difficult to decide which I liked best. I would say it would be easier to say which I liked least which would have to be the first story, Midsomer Life. It was a good introduction to the four; however, since each one gets just a little crazier.

The Christmas episode was delightful and my favorite; for those of us faced with late life employment and youthful supervisors with little or no experience but with all sorts of "fresh ideas" that reinvent the wheel and bury one in paper work, it created great resonance. Its resolution was delightful. All I could say was "Yes!!!" At least the poor naive fool was well intended; an earlier one was rather nasty and I kept hoping someone would bump him off--they tried but Barnaby saved him!

"The Magician's Nephew" was well plotted and though the outcome was not entirely unsuspected, was quite clever. I certainly didn't have it until about mid-film. The mysterious ambiances and the odd relationships really made the thing. Certainly the visiting cast were wonderful. Here the importance of venue and the cooperation of "audience" in "mysticism" was oh so obvious in this one--as indeed the next--especially at the end.

The last entry--and my second favorite--is "Talking to the Dead." While it ranks my "second," I have to admit it was the most complex and content rich. It alone would be worth the price of the set. Here again the mis en scène of spiritualism, with its carefully engineered emotional components and the mental cooperation of the audience, was made very clear as it was in the "Magician's Nephew." Once its credulousness was exposed to it, the audience disappeared. One cannot help but believe, however, that each person will merely have labeled this particular practitioner of the "spiritual arts" as a charlatan rather than all such people as such. We all like to believe in magic. The confrontation of Christian and Pagan power sources was particularly amusing, since each claimed the other a fraud and each challenged the other for power over the "flock." In the end their interactions made it obvious that each needed the other to justify his own existence! The iron maiden scene where Sergeant Jones gets trapped inside was wonderful, especially after watching the mechanism work. I appreciated the bright mind that came up with this literary device. While amusing the viewer, it also alerted him to the sound and its significance when it occurred nearer the end of the episode, and with great effect too. It was at once grisly and yet fascinating and reminded me of one of the Hamish Macbeth series--one of Season Three as I recall,Hamish MacBeth: Series 1-3 Collection--when something equally grisly occurred to another character who, along with the audience, also understood what was about to happen to him. I kept expecting the Hamish Macbeth victim to escape in the nick of time which made it an even more startling finale. Here as soon as one heard the sound one knew there was no hope.

I enjoyed the interactions of Inspector Barnaby with his family. For a while I felt that both Joyce and Cully were getting a little tired of their roles, but that is definitely not the case here. Both are as energetic and delightful as they were early in the series. One again feels that they have lives outside of the mystery, and that they are a real resource to Barnaby; his personal source of strength and renewal after his ventures into the world of madness called Midsomer! Though they only pop up once in a while through each episode, they're appearance is always welcome and highly anticipated. Though I know their function in the mechanics of these works is to lend a background of sanity against which the craziness of Midsomer can be contrasted, I still love them. This series even more than past episodes really made it clear how much Barnaby does too. The warmth and love and the funny little family events bring charm to the stories--and cast in very high relief the wackiness of the rest of Midsomer!

Totally memorable series, wonderful entries, can't wait for more.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on February 14, 2011
This the 16th season of a magnificent show didn't disappoint. The plots, the murders, the solutions and the superb acting are still as first class as when I had the luck to happen upon Midsomer Murders at our local library. I love most English mysteries, especially Miss Marple ( the one with Joan Hickson not Geraldine McEwan, what a disaster that remake is.......) Poirot (David Suchet), Frost, Campion and Sherlock Holmes. So after multiple re-watching of these favorites, I was looking for something new and saw this series on the shelf at my local library. When I read the back of the DVD case and saw that, at that time, this show was in its 11th year of production, I was excited. As I know from experience that sometimes the first year of a TV show, the first book of a writer, etc. that the second ones often prove to be disappointing. Well after my first Midsomer show I knew I was hooked. What plots, what acting, what likable character and the setting of the delightful English countryside, couldn't be surpassed. Chief Inspector Barnaby (John Nettles) Is incredible as the unflappable yet not an all-knowing detective. Over the series he has had several side-kicks that couldn't be better, all slightly different but perfect additions to the show, with the longest run one, Jason Hughes a great side-kick as Detective Sergeant Ben Jones. The guest stars are so fun to watch in their roles. In Dead Man's Eleven, from the 2nd season there were Robert Hardy and Imelda Stanton who were featured in the Harry Potter movies. Another criteria for my truly putting a show or a book on my 5 star list is that I want to return many times to them. I know I am an addict in that I can't count the times have reread Pride and Prejudice, etc. I know anyone who acquires this series will not be disappointed. An affirmation would be the long waiting list our local library has for these DVD s. Another reason why I have been adding these DVD s to my collection is that I am not patient about waiting for my turn to come at the Library.
2 helpful votes
on September 20, 2014
My husband and I find ourselves enjoying English mystery series lately. We've just about finished this collection and look forward to settling into a mystery with detective Barnaby. It's nice to find a main character with a "normal", happy family life. The characters are a bit quirky. The plots are intricate and have a definite English twist to them, which makes it nice for something different from our American series (which we also enjoy). Very entertaining!
The only drawback is that every now and then we get a disk that sticks. I hate to miss any of the stories due to this. Still giving it 5 stars because we enjoy the series so much.
on August 31, 2017
Have 6 sets so far... love them all. (With John Nettles...!)
on October 4, 2010
For many years, the British detective/mystery program "Midsomer Murders" has brought to my life many hours of fine entertainment. Set sixteen (16) continues in that tradition. Set 16 entertained me with some very good mysteries (folks meeting their demises in all kinds of previously, by me, unthought-of ways--all told without loads of blood and without gratuitous visible violence) good direction, eccentric characters (I.e., the delightful heavy red wine drinking female hotel-clerk in the first episode, "Midsomer Life") and with some good acting (i. e., John Nettles remains delightful as the very intuitive DCI-Detective Chief Inspector-Barnaby with his no barking of orders and no displays of extreme temper tantrums but with a seemingly mild manner, his assistant delightfully played with droll humor by Jason Hughes, and Barnaby's wife Joyce assuming a larger role in this season now that the daughter is gone) The programs just continue to delight me very much.

I hear that John Nettles is retiring and that the show may end. Whatever may happen in future, I really enjoyed Season 16 as I know you will if you purchase this four (4) disc set with each mystery running about 100 minutes each.
2 helpful votes
on July 29, 2017
Love Midsomer Murders
on July 28, 2017
I am a Midsomer Murders fanatic. Love the stories and acting.
Enthusiast: Campingon September 30, 2014
This is another great set of episodes in the Midsomer Murders. If you're a fan of British TV and particularly crime dramas, there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this collection. These are a bit humorous and spooky, but harmless fun.