Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 176 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
on March 5, 2012
Good news: the excellent actor Neil Dudgeon, featured in earlier episodes of Midsomer, and The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries, among many other roles, will lead as John Barnaby, a relative of irascible, inimitable Tom Barnaby/John Nettles. He doesn't enter until the last episode, when his visit to Tom's home is interrupted by yet another murder in that particularly dangerous corner of Midsomer, Badger's Drift, when a vicar is found hanging by a bell-rope. And now we all anticipate "Set 21," the wait will be worth it. As always, the intrepid Jason Hughes is a wonderful foil as Detective Sergeant Ben Jones, his wry humor adds another level of complexity to the series. The U.K. boasts so many fine, often underrated actors. Jane Wymark as Joyce Barnaby is perfection (catch this gifted actress in an early, tragic role in the second series of Poldark), as is Laura Howard as their understanding daughter.

Midsomer County is oddly rife with uncanny mysteries, so it's good that John Barnaby is gifted with the same powers of keen observation and memory as his cousin Tom. A "similar-looking" man was a gifted gardener in an early Midsomer mystery; DCI John Barnaby is likely as good with plants as his look-alike. This is a Midsomer family after all, they often feature peculiar, recurring family resemblances (recall the duo in first Midsomer Mystery, "The Killings of Badger's Drift"). Sharp dialogue makes this collection a real treat. Don't assume this is lace doily stuff, no indeed! We even love the weird and unique music. Note the badger emblem on the police cars. The Brits have knack for mixing classic stories with ghoulish humor and sharp observations of the flawed human character. Historically, penny-dreadfuls were published at Christmastime, as in Robert Louis Stevenson and Charles Dickens.

This series is a virtual escape to the beautiful but dangerous environs of Midsomer county. We're happy to fall through the cracks of normal reality, into Midsomer, whose denizens inflict and suffer numerous creative malaises. The cleverness of this series is addictive.

Master Class: Lydia Wilson is superb as Zoe Stock, a gifted pianist, haunted by strange visions. Competition is deadly for positions in Sir Michael Fielding's master class. Long buried secrets are unearthed, several denizens seem to have issues with bright lights, and the dead contact the living. The theme of eugenics is shown in all it's ugliness.

The Noble Art: Who knew that with boxing and gambling, we'd get a chance to see Jackie Tyler again, Rose's mom from Doctor Who?! Camille Coduri does a luscious turn, with one of the best Midsomer lines ever, to an odious prig: "Is that a smile, or your lips just sliding off your teeth?"

Not in My Backyard: Oh, those dratted contemporary designs besmirching our villages. Some of the best, most improbable innovative Midsomer murders take place here, via sliding doors and cement. But what do you expect when Jekyll/Tom Jackman's mama makes a guest appearance.

Fit for Murder: Poor Joyce, she just wants to take her Tom to a retreat, to calm him down. But murder and mayhem ensue, because when Joyce arrives on the scene, Midsomer's citizens meet untimely, gruesome ends. Tom Barnaby finds himself confronting his birthday and visions of his difficult father. Appearances by Cully and DCI John Barnaby enrich this delightful episode. Surprise: guest-star appearance of excellent actor Shaun Dingwall, who perfectly played Pete Tyler, errant husband of Jackie (above, in "The Noble Art"), father of Doctor Who's Rose. Perhaps a few Midsomer occurrences can be attributed to an occasional alignment with Doctor Who: the alien crop-circles, weird murders and unearthly body-count.
on February 27, 2012
My husband and I have all the sets of Midsomer Murder, and are looking forward to set 19 coming out on 2/28. We are in the process of re-watching all of them now. Although I love John Nettles as Barnaby, I'm interested to see if his replacement brings a new pizzaz to the series. I hope that Jones will still be around to lend a hand!

We love murder mysteries, and the British mysteries are the best! We have all the Morse, Lewis, Frost, Poirot, Dalgliesh, Lynley, Holmes, and Foyle's War series, as well as a few other miscellaneous sets (Lark Rise to Candleford is a favorite!!), and we treasure them all.

Thanks to Amazon for bringing us good entertainment! You're my favorite website!
44 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2012
Series twenty (20) of the very fine British Murder Mystery Series "Midsomer Murders" certainly carries on the fine tradition of the previous seasons. That tradition for twenty (20) seasons has consisted of splendid writings, eccentric characters, great acting and wonderful direction.

Series/season twenty (20) has four (4) ninety (90) minute episodes that are filled with beautiful gardens on the surface while lurking "below" are "murders most foul" that leads to good detective work by Barnaby (wonderfully acted in a very courteous manner but with much humor by John Needles--I've adored him for all of the twenty seasons) and his partner DS Jones (marvelously acted with some astonishment at Barnaby's intuition in solving cases and with loads of humor by Jason Hughes). Season twenty (20) was very much, per usual in this "Midsomer" series, enjoyed by me; however, my enjoyment was "tinged" with sadness because this marks John Needles' departure along with the characters of his wife and daughter--I've come to adore them too.

If you desire to view some good well written mysteries that are about super talented pianists with "selective breeding" as a major goal in life, horrific deaths by cement and horse tranqulizers, boxers whose goals include "bedding" any woman available, sexual secrets and unfulfilled love that lead to murder(s), etc., feel free to buy Series twenty (20) of "Midsomer Murders" it is filled with so much debauchery that makes for splendid entertainment.

(The episode, in Season twenty-20-that covers the character of Barnaby's retirement was very "bittersweet" for me. I was very sad to be losing John Needles as DCI Barnaby because I've loved him doing the role for so very long. At the same time the episode was filled with what I have loved about the series of "Midsomer Murders" -good mysteries filled with humor and loads of eccentric characters and with Barnaby and his wife Joyce "bouncing" off each other in splendid ways--great and very natural acting by the two actors)
on June 17, 2017
I have enjoyed this series for over 15 years. I was not able to get them on my current cable company and was glad to see that I could buy the series. I now own thru #25. It is great to put on a DVD that I know I will thoroughly enjoy
on November 4, 2013
For all the reasons I LOVE this series...it's all about the CHARACTERS, the process & the SETTING!!! for me.
But there are way too many gruesome murders per episode for me. I am VERY SAD to see TOM BARNABY/John Nettles retire. He & George Bullard/Barry Jackson are the main attractions. But his leave taking was beautifully done. That Jackson leaves, as well is a double blow! Also love & will miss Joyce /Jane Wymark & Cully/Laura Howard.......But we need to give JOHN BARNABY/Neil Dudgeon a chance--at least he's Tom's cousin!
At least the series will continue....with JASON HUGHES/Ben Jones, I earnestly hope.
Thankfully, all the episodes of series 20 were excellent: thoroughly engaging, suspenseful, & ironic to the max.

Just an aside: I am also a fan of Law & Order and I must say, MIDSOMMER MURDERS is NOTHING like L & O--why people find such trite & inaccurate inferences necessary, I cannot imagine!
on July 29, 2017
Love Midsomer Murders
on March 6, 2017
I have totally enjoyed the entire series.
on September 11, 2012
What a great way to end the series! Kudos to John Nettles and all of his wonderful work on the series. The ending was perfect and it was good to see all the characters we have cared about through the years gathered in one place. The only one really missing was Troy, but I guess that would've been too much to ask. Other than that I thought he went out on a good note and made the transition easy for the actor who is taking on a new role, but still the Barnaby name. I won't spoil the exact ending for anyone who hasn't seen it, but trust me to say that you won't be disappointed. Now, if they would just release Set 21, I'll be a happy viewer!
on March 19, 2013
We have purchased and viewed all of the Midsomer Murders series through set #20, this being the final episode with C I Barnaby's retirement. The acting has always been excellent and the series is one that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the WHO DONE IT in a gentler fashion than today's graphic murder mysteries. The only disappointed was the way they ended C I Barnaby's career. They should have expanded on it better for a more satisfactory ending rather than just having him abruptly retire at the end. Overall, great and enjoyable viewing! Definitely a plus to anyone's DVD library, and since there are so many episodes to select from, we often go back and enjoy them another time.
on July 10, 2012
I thought Set 20, was very well done. It was a bit sad but we all knew this was coming. I had the feeling during the last 5 minutes of the movie, it wasn't just put on but honest feelings were shared by all actors. Was sad to see John Nettles leaving and wish him well, and he will be missed so much. We looked forward to each and every set that has been out. Will look forward to set 21., will see how it does compare. John Barnaby has some big shoes to fill here. Good luck to the new Barnaby.