Customer Reviews: Midwest Living
Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

Subscription Length: 1 year auto-renewal|Change
Price:$10.97+ Free shipping

on January 27, 2002
Being a resident of the midwest region of our country is not a necessary criteria for enjoying this magazine. While my family originates from the midwest, and we visit occasionally, I enjoy living on the east coast.
This magazine offers more than just the regional perspective. It shares information in a friendly, warm and upbeat manner that is useful and often fun. It's a pleasant read with good information presented in an enjoyable, attractive format.
Every time I finish an issue, I'm reminded of why the people and places of the midwest make me smile.
We've subscribed to Midwest Living for at least a decade, but after moving to Texas, I wanted to remain in the loop on attractions, events, restaurants and recipes in the Midwest.

Midwest Living features articles on uniquely Midwestern flavors (a recent issue featured Midwestern-inspired soups such as Great Lakes salmon chowder from Michigan, Kansas City steak soup, and wild rice and turkey soup from Minnesota), mouthwatering recipes, tips on home and garden (choosing paint, furniture shopping, what plants and flowers will thrive in your zone), travel (including restaurants, suggested hotels, and sightseeing), Lake Michigan getaways, and detailed state-by-state calendars that track events in various Midwestern states. There's a fairly hefty emphasis on fine arts galleries, antiques, and restaurants, so if this sounds like you, you'd do well to check out an issue.

There's something to appeal to everyone, whether you're a Midwesterner or are simply interested in the region. The beautiful photography does justice to the many natural attractions and small-town charm, and the recipes, particularly those featured in well-known restaurants, are keepers. I especially liked the January/February 2008 issue that featured an in-depth article on maple syrup production (although Vermont and Quebec are best known for sugaring, Michigan and Indiana farms also produce maple syrup) and delicious uses for maple syrup, including maple date-nut bread, four-grain pancakes, and maple oatmeal muffins.
on December 30, 2012
I love this magazine. I'm more of a "Real Simple" than a "Woman's Day" type of magazine aficionado. Midwest Living gives me useful information without being unrealistic about the average person's life. They show you how to make simple cakes and meals that don't take six hours to prepare. They give trip itineraries that would be enjoyed by couples and families alike. Their articles on gardening are great because they focus on my general area and don't show a lot of plants that would never grow in a cold weather state. I think that, if you live in the mid-west, you deserve it to yourself to give the magazine a try. Even if you don't, it's worth picking up an issue for trip and recipe ideas.
on July 7, 2010
I am originally from Chicago, and moved to SE Wisconsin within the last year. I had already been subscribing to Midwest Living, but once I moved, I found the articles & information more relevant. Yes, there is a section devoted to Chicago each month that is quite good, but the smaller towns really shine in this magazine. Places to go, things to do, just what I'd want in a regional magazine. The content is a good read and informative with out being overly flashy and over the top. My Hubby and I have planned weekend get-aways around stories/articles I have read in here, and I keep ALL issues in a binder for reference. I devour each issue and highlight the contents page with ideas that I want to revisit again.
In closing, I just really like this magazine. It truly puts the Midwest in the palm of your hand. (And, when you get a great deal on Amazon, JUMP on it. It is truly worth it !)
on May 15, 2016
Used to really enjoy this magazine but now it's alot of travelers advertisements and not many articles. Do appreciate that the recipes have nutrion information. The few articles and decor are interesting and still enjoyable.
My wife and I are voracious readers. We read the papers every day, as well as books and magazines. This magazine (Midwest Living) focuses on living in the Midwest but has articles and features that may be of interest to anyone no matter where you live in the U.S. I just finished reading the June/July 2015 issue which had some interesting and informative articles and departments. The following is just an example of the material in this magazine:
Notes of the North was about the beautiful music, art, and wilderness of the Apostle Islands in Bayfield, Wisconsin. Flower power showed some of the floral fabrics, wall papers and accessories that brighten up a home. Viva Mexican night gives 14 delicious recipes you can spice up your dinner time. They also have shorter articles on travel, the Midwest life, discoveries, events worth writing for and reflections. Even though this is a magazine that appeals to women more then men, it often has articles and features men might enjoy reading as well. It is also reasonably priced at about $2.00 an issue when you subscribe.

If you live in the Midwest you might want to check out this magazine.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Haiku Moments: How to read, write and enjoy haiku).
on September 19, 2014
If you live in the midwest, this is THE magazine for you! I keep pages out of magazines, tearing them out after I read the magazine and then organizing the pages. Next to Martha Stewart Living, this magazine is a favorite. It always has region appropriate ideas for decorating, crafts and places to visit. I know much can be found online these days, but I still like to browse through a good magazine with a good cup of coffee or tea! Try it - you'll love it!
on August 12, 2010
When I subscribed to Midwest Living, I had never seen an issue. I grew up in Iowa, have lived in NJ for 40 years, but plan to retire back to Iowa, so I thought I'd get in touch with the Midwest again. I was amazed at what a treasure this magazine is. It is excellently written, beautifully photographed, continually provides interesting articles and ideas, and I look forward to every issue. I've started a list of things I want to do and places I want to go in the Midwest when I retire, and most of the items are ideas I've found in this magazine. I've already put in an automatic reorder with Amazon so my subscription won't lapse.
on February 20, 2013
Midwest Living is a great magazine with beautiful pictures, great local adventure articles, and terrific recipes! The layout of the magazine is always so creative and since I live in the midwest I really enjoy the spots the magazine focuses on. It's more than about travel-there are decorating ideas as well.
on March 30, 2013
I live in the Midwest and enjoy this magazine for the travel tips, pictures, and any extra tidbits like gardening or recipes. I like that it is not a strictly "home" or "travel" magazine--it's both. It can be a little light on content (hence the 4 stars), but worth checking out.