BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

on March 29, 2010
The Miele S516 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner performs as described on the [...] website. I am very satisfied with this product. I would recommend it to others in search of a new vacuum cleaner. I found it listed without shipping charges on amazon.com.

on February 7, 2010
I haven't used this vacuum very long but I have to say, the attachment included for the bare floors is way too large to be functional. They do have two other more normal floor attachments on the site but when you spend basically $800 for a vacuum, you don't want to have to buy additional attachments ($50/$70) just so you can clean your bare floors. I like that it is quiet, hopefully it will last longer than the Kenmore's I have been buying for years, time will tell.
on January 6, 2010
I just received the Miele Cat & Dog vacuum, and I love it...now the dog hair comes off the sofa and the stairs in a flash...and it's easy to handle and store.
on November 7, 2009
After reading the many publications from Miele I had concluded that the S516 was exactly the Vacuum for my needs. I had great hope for the fine German Engineering, light weight but precisely engineered, with a nice assortment of quality accessories.

I received the vacuum well packaged and carefully unpacked my new Miele. The first hint that not everything was quite right was when a small lid that covered the nozzle accessories was open. For a moment I thought it had broken during shipment. Odd since the carton was not the least damaged. After setting my new Miele down for close examination of the opened lid I discovered it had simply opened and was not broken. However, determining it was not broken took a minute or two because the lid seemed flimsy and after a few tries at closing it I finally discovered it was only a matter of a poorly fitting lid and latch. The Lid is fairly light-weight and the hinge is equally light and appears delicate. Not something I would expect to last many years,

This led me to wonder why I seemed to be looking at a poor quality design.

Next I examined the assortment of nozzle accessories which the lid covered. While they look good, when I held the accessories in my hand I could feel they were made of fairly hard thin plastic of the sort that my past experience had shown to be irritatingly prone to breaking and scuffing wood-work due to the hard nature of the plastic.

I then turned the canister over and read the information on the bottom which tells were it was made. It stated 'Assembled in China with parts Made in China and Germany' . I was really disappointed when reflecting on the many published articles and promotional information that Miele presented for this product. I had spent weeks reading, researching competition, locating the few reviews and nothing I located even hinted the proclaimed performance was not a German machine.

I then carefully inspected the Miele vacuum inside and out, re-tried the various lids, latches, rotated the wheels etc. Some aspects, such as the closing of the canister onto the dust bag seemed sturdy and precise.

After a few more minutes of looking at the shiny new Miele, which I had so carefully researched, I re-wrapped it and placed it into the carton for return. In general, I have seen nothing about this vacuum that warrants paying for a top quality machine.

My product expectation is simple: A machine that has well aligned parts that fit smoothly and suggest a long service life. Accessories that are designed to be used around a home which has woodwork (even simple baseboards around the floor are woodwork) which can be damaged if the accessories are made of very hard material.

As for my expectation of a clear and forthright statement of where something is designed and made. Well I wish I could expect a clear honest statement, but lately it is seldom found.

JW
on August 10, 2010
I bought this vacuum because I have two dogs and found I am allergic to dog dander. This vacuum has a sealed system and it doesn't have the leaks that other vacuums have around the exit system filters. It has a Small HEPA filter that gets replaced every four bags(and comes in the box of 4 bags). It has a very hefty charcoal filter as well just like a room air cleaner(replaced one a year). It doesn't reciruclate the dustmite feces back in the air. It captures it. After the first use the house smelled better because of the charcoal filter as well. It has great suction and picks up the hair far faster than my old Electrolux. I can't say enough about how much we like this vacuum.

It came with three cleaning heads. The carpet with the rotating head, the regular hardwood floor head (fits great right up to the walls and corners) and picks up everything. It also has a small rotating handheld head that is great on furniture and stairs.

It is a pricy vacuum. It was worth every last penny of the cost. We already had a Meile dishwasher that is now 6 years old and running the same as the day we bought it. So far this vacuum has the same quality as the dishwasher. The phrase you get what you pay for is very true. This is a quality company.
on October 14, 2009
I originally bought an Electrolux Oxy3 vacuum due to the fact that it was on sale at Sears, and the brand traditionally represented quality. However, upon using the vacuum the first day, I found it bulky, poorly designed, and worst of all, the power to the brush head would intermittently go out for no apparent reason. After some reading online about other vacuums, I noticed that while the Miele vacuums were not rated so highly by Consumer Reports, they had excellent customer reviews from Amazon as well as other sites. I decided to splurge, and have not looked back. This company makes an excellent vacuum: Great suction, very quiet, durable design, lightweight, long power cord, compact, powerbrush is very maneuverable, doesn't come with unnecessary cheap plastic parts that will break within the first 3 months. It seems that Miele actually listens to what customers want and design accordingly, as opposed to trying to sell something cheap and flashy. Don't be fooled by how quiet this vacuum is, it packs a punch - pet hair, dirt, dustballs, and clothing fibers are no match.
While the price is quite high compared to other vacuums on the market, it is well worth the money spent.
on September 28, 2008
This is my 6th vacuum in 23 years of marriage. For the price, I expected a little more....It's pretty much like my old Kenmore, lots of plastic. I wish the cord were a bit longer and would stay in the socket. It comes out pretty easily and I have to go back and keep replugging it in. I have cats, and it does a good job with picking up the fur. Both the power head and the hard floor nozzle are too wide for getting behing places my Kenmore, hard floor attachment could easily get behind. I can get under some furniture I couldn't get under with the power head on the Kenny..
The vacuum itself is compact and light weight. It maneuvers throughout the house easily moving from tile, to laminate to plush carpet.
I bought it because I've heard it lives a long time...my other units including the sanitaire, which cost about the same as the Meile, died very young...I've heard the Miele lives sometimes 20 years...which is like my mother's vacuum, which lived about 50 years!
So, if the Miele people are reading...please make the cord a foot or so longer, with a three prong, plug and the hard floor tool a little more narrow.
66 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2009
After spending money on the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser and wishing I hadn't, I bought the Miele Cat & Dog. Yes, it's a lot of money, but it's totally worth it. I have five cats, and one with long hair (all strays). The Miele picks up all of the hair without clogging. It's small, but mighty. Miele makes a fantastic vacuum! Miele S516 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner w/ STB 101 Handheld Turbo Brush

One note: If you do buy the vacuum, your suction hose will have two prongs at the end. The manual doesn't tell you, but you have to remove the small rectangular plastic piece that's below where the hose fits in for the prongs to fit.
on November 2, 2010
I've had the Miele Cat & Dog for several years now. We have two cats & two dogs and massive amounts of fur, the Miele works fantastic! First bough a Miele after a waiter in Paris dropped a glass right next to our table. As he hauled out the vacuum to clean up the glass shards we braced ourselves for a loud roar, instead we surprised by the quiet purr of the machine. We saw him stash the vacuum in the coat closet, so on the way out we ducked in the closet to see what brand of vacuum was so magically silent. We now own two Miele vacuums (one for the cabin - the Red Star which we've owned for 5 years). The attachments work well and it's nice to have them in the vacuum so they're always there. The retracting cord can't be beat, no more wrapping a cord around a vacuum that always comes undone anyway. Our house cleaners say of all their clients they think we have the best vacuum. It's so quiet the cats aren't even afraid of it!
on February 11, 2010
Recently I bought the Miele Cat and Dog S516 canister vacuum and have been thrilled with the results thus far. With 4 cats, this vacuum easily handles both long- and short-cat hair with ease. In addition, I replaced the clean air filter (which is standard) with the hepa exhaust filter (which is optional)to reduce the allergens and have been extremely pleased that the exhausted air from the vacuum actually smells fresh leaving the room smelling really clean. Also, this vac is very quiet to run and easy to move around the room with its smooth wheels and long outlet cord. The only downside to getting this vacuum is its price at $799 + tax. But, if you have pets, want a quiet, lighter weight canister vacuum that leaves your rooms smelling fresh and clean, this vacuum is well-worth the money.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.