Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on May 15, 2008
One of the Avett Brothers' earlier CDs, I return to this one repeatedly for the craftsmanship and the rough-edged but lucid voices of Scott and Seth Avett. Two songs, "Swept Away" and "Signs" appear twice as separate recordings (the second recording of "Signs" is uncredited, sung by a voice not recognizable as an Avett brother) which is interesting because each offers a unique take on the song. All four songs are terrific. I rate this whole CD terrific, with the exception of "Complainte D"VN Matelot Mourant" and "The Day That Marvin Gaye Died". I don't get the first one - its creaking noises sound like a day-old shipwreck (maybe the Mignonette spoken of in the foreward?). "Marvin Gaye" sounds like the bass player Bob Crawford might be singing, and his voice isn't as pleasing as the Avetts themselves. Sorry Bob. You're still really good-looking.

Anyway, I've just ordered "Four Thieves Gone" to round out my Avett Bros collection of five CDs. BTW, Avetts, if you ever get stuck on the side of Route 2 in New London, North Carolina again, I will definitely pick you up!
on August 29, 2012
Admittedly, and unfortunately, I have not been a long time Avett Brothers fan. That being said, as I have continued to acquire more and more of their albums (now 7, #8 on Sept 11!!!) over the last two years and attended their concert, I am quickly becoming one of their most staunch advocates. I never seem to tire of their sound, passion, lyrics and impossibly cool melodic feel.

I had five of their albums previous to this, and so as their sixth album I feel I have a pretty adequate feel for the brothers Avett. If you haven't tried them before, it is difficult to compare them to anyone. Period. Some call them folk, alt-country, bluegrass, rock and I can simultaneously nod and shake my head at the same time. They have a very banjo front, with acoustic guitar, and standup bass oriented sound with catchy melodies, wrenching ballads, and these perfectly imperfect flat-ish vocal harmonies that just fit like a pair of worn jeans. Quite lyrically clever without being obtuse, and are able to voice angst, anger, sadness and love in a way that is honest and palpable.

This album, compared to the rest of their albums I own is quite a bit more adventurous and with 20 tracks, its worth every penny. Comparatively they try a couple of different types of songs (Complainted) and vocal arrangements using Bob Crawford and sister Bonnie (I think) that make this album a tad different than others.

This album has plenty of good songs and good feel. Must hear song: Swept Away. Song I most often wake up humming/singing: Please Pardon Yourself.
on January 2, 2008
I first heard of these guys when my cousin's band opened for them at the Soiled Dove Underground. I had no idea what I was in for, but they played about three hours of the most refreshing bluegrass I'd ever heard. Granted, they pretty much only know the chords C, G, and D (If you don't believe me, look up some tabs), but you'd be amazed at the variety of songs you can get out of those three chords. Their songs are all sweet without being sickening, and even a few tortured love songs thrown in. They played a concert so spirited that it left Scott bleeding from his chin... and then played a much anticipated encore. When someone from the audience shouted out, "What happened?" Seth shouted back, "Rock and roll, that's what happened."

These guys are going to save music.
on January 10, 2014
The Emotionalism and Mignotte albums were 2 of the final recordings before the Avett's signed with Rick Rubin's label. These albums are fantastic as they are more gritty, raw, and energetic than the polished offerings of I and Love and You and The Carpenter (which are also great). With this album, you get a sense of the energy they put into their live shows. If you are an Avett fan, then I highly recommend this album.
on October 15, 2013
The Avett Bros if you are reading this you know it's worth the cost of admission. Just get it you know you want it
on April 18, 2012
Rarely do I listen to a band and immediately want to listen to more of their music. The Avett Brothers became one of my favorite bands of all time faster than any other band ever has. This album is brilliant. Though all the tracks are good, "Nothing Short of Thankful", "The New Love Song", "At the Beach", "Please Pardon Yourself", and "A Pretty Girl from Cedar Lane" are my personal favorites. I highly recommend it.
on August 5, 2012
I'd give them countless! This group's music touches me to the deepest recesses of my being(Excuse me for sounding like a hipster pipster) but it's the truth. They are living proof good music still exists in this world, and have not traded their authenticity as they obtained their much deserved fame. That, my friends, is one of(If not THE) most admirable quality in a musician/musical group <3
on July 22, 2016
Usually only like a few songs on an album, but every song on this is great. I listen to it on repeat while I'm at work.
on December 4, 2015
Love this CD. Didn't give it much of a chance at first, but ended up falling in love with a lot of the songs. Great CD to listen to in order as well on a long drive.
on January 13, 2013
I got hooked from the "And I Love Her" Album so from there have been slowly accumulating past (and of course new!) output from the band. I find the music to be varied and interesting - some mellow and nice, and some to be zippy and upbeat. It is fun and I heartily recommend it. I don't think it really fits neatly into a genre - but whatever it is, it is wonderful.