Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen
Customer Discussions > The Night Stalkers forum

Mike Durant is a wimp and a liar.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2006, 3:09:47 PM PST
M. Piper says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2007, 2:33:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2007, 2:54:31 PM PST
Your post was way out of line. Durant had just survived the crash of his helicopter and surely his mental state was not comparable to his airborne comrades or the landed Delta snipers who tried to protect him. I don't know if you have SOF experience or were in Mogadishu but nobody else that was there has attacked Durant in the way you have. And if you have not worn the uniform at all, you should keep your comments to yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2007, 9:39:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2007, 9:49:06 PM PST
M. Piper says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007, 3:21:13 PM PST
I think you should state what your background and qualifications are to make such comments. Since you state that Durant is "in bed" with the "worst elements of this administration" I suspect that the only helicopters you've been around are the black ones. And I don't mean those at Fort Campbell.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2007, 11:01:20 AM PST
M. Piper says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007, 7:15:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 8, 2010, 1:49:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2007, 8:11:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 23, 2007, 8:19:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2007, 8:17:54 PM PDT
M. Piper - Chief Durant was a pilot not a shooter. His job was to take the shooters to work and he did his job under extraordinary circumstances. How is that being a coward? You need to step out from your sniper's blind and explain yourself or stop this attack. It sounds as if you asked for money and didn't get what you wanted. If I pay Mike's ransom will you stop? 30 pieces of silver cover his tab, Ma'am?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007, 6:57:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2007, 7:05:03 PM PDT
P Farley says:
"Durant, himself, knows who I am and what my qualifications are"
I think the point is, you are making claims with NO credibility behind them, because no one knows who you are. You have provided us with nothing but claims which contradict every KNOWN story out there.

So I say: If you're so knowledgeable on the events of that period, then why don't you write your own book? Until then, you have no credibility, you are just an anonymous poster who hasn't BTDT.

You're a chick (or you're lying in your amazon profile) so I KNOW you're not a Ranger, SEAL, PJ, SF, or Delta. And I'm willing to be money you're not a Night Stalker either.

"His mental state was just fine when the guys passed the hat for donations to Randy and Gary's widows. Mike didn't put in a single dime."
This is going to sound horrible and to everyone BUT Piper, I apologise-Mike has no obligation to provide for the women. Granted it would have been a nice thing to do, but he had his OWN family. This attack has nothing to do with his credibility, you appear to be grasping as straws. It affects YOUR credibility though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008, 4:16:40 PM PDT
This IDIOT has never been in combat. It's people like this guy that get people hurt.
I am ashamed that he is a member of the human race.

Posted on Jun 18, 2009, 9:14:38 AM PDT
D. Mcmillan says:
Wow, it is amazing the amount of bile this email brings up! I found out long ago that even eye witness reports are usually wrong; if you were not involved then rants like this add nothing to discussion. From experience I can say there is a big difference between watching something and actually being involved in what was going on.

Posted on Oct 7, 2009, 12:43:12 PM PDT
I read Mike's book "ITCOH" and he himself says that he was shocked that one of his two weapons went unused and therefore stayed loaded. However. . .since the entire crash site and any weapons left there were looted by the natives, the only person who is capable of providing any weapons status is Mike himself. In the book, Mike is hard on himself about the fact that he didn't empty his other weapon, but he suggest that had he done so, he probably wouldn't have survived at all. Such action would've altered the fragile dynamics of the event and probably cost him his life. Only God could've orchestrated those events. To question his actions is moot. It wouldn't have helped the two Delta operators one way or the other. The position would've been overrun eventually regardless. If Mike Durant were a coward, he wouldn't have survived long in the 160th but I think he would probably agree with you if you suggested that he was unfamiliar with the fog of war in ground combat. He is far tougher on himself than any of us will ever be and he shares the lessons learned when he speaks, telling pilots that they need to be better trained and be better prepared to handle themselves in ground combat if their aircraft crashes. As far as helping the widows and giving up Delta IDs. . .it just doesn't make sense. Mike wasn't tortured and I doubt he would've known anything but call-signs and nick-names of the Delta operators he worked with anyway. There is a reason they don't use their real names. Also included in the book was a letter from either Randy or Gary's widow ( I don't remember which) and it does not convey any of the hard-feelings suggested here, in fact the opposite is true.
What I find odd is that M. Piper uses the phrase "in bed with all the worst elements of this administration. " What administration is being referred to? The fact that politics is being brought into what I perceived to be a personal attack makes me wonder if there aren't hidden, alternative and insidious motives at play here to discredit Durant because of his Republican activism.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010, 8:49:22 PM PDT
Only Chuck Norris has the background to call any of these Nightstalkers wimps and liars and he has not/will not do so. It is reprehensible to call these men wimps; shame on the true liars who effuse such vitriole. hooah.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011, 7:20:42 AM PDT
Doc Rick says:
Your a coward. I bet you wouldnt say a darn thing if you saw Chief Durant in person. Granted some things he did could have been done differently based on the Code of Conduct. But you get put in a hostage situation and see how you react. Even if you have some relation to the widows or claim to be either of them yourself you have no right to make such statements. If Durant had not survived, you would have NOTHING. You would know nothing about what happend. You would simply have bodies of brave men who fought and died in an armed conflict. With no idea what happend on that street that day. You would not know what courageous acts men did for Brothers-in-Arms. Would not know the last things that happend before they were over run. You should slap yourself and not just once or twice but untill you realize what this man has endured to date. One can train for there whole life for something, but nothing compares to actually being in the situation. Wear his shoes for a day and see things in his eyes. Even today, it haunts him. R.I.P. my fallen brethren.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011, 7:59:53 PM PDT
I so agree with your post R Gutierrez. I read both of CWO Durant's books and have learned a great deal about the unit he served in and the respect he had for those that served with him. I recommend them both. My husband started in the same unit flying "little birds" before it had a name anyone but the pentagon knew. Those men were asked to go where no one else would even think about going and well knowing the dangers it involved.
As a wife, there was little he could even tell me. So please AMAZON, remove the comment in bold print this person wrote and give Michael Durant the respect he deserves.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012, 4:54:18 PM PDT
T. Cates says:
M. Piper is related to another Piper who was killed...she is very hostile over it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2013, 5:42:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2013, 5:50:22 AM PST
Dennis Hook says:
When I listened to the audiobook of Bowen's Blackhawk Down, I soon learned of Hollywood BS in 15 plus hours where the narrator tells you what really happened....vs Ridley Scott's "adaptation".
Then I fished the whole WWW because you want to get to know all the Rangers, Navy Seal "d"'s, d-boys and Air Force spec ups as well.
If Chuck Norris actually said that, I would consider the source-Hollywood.
Chuck shouldn't poop his own....he should remember actor Lee Marvin is buried at Arlington.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Night Stalkers forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

This discussion is about
The Night Stalkers
The Night Stalkers by Steven Hartov (Hardcover - December 28, 2006)
4.5 out of 5 stars (107)