Mike O'Mary is author of two books: "Wise Men and Other Stories: Lessons from the Holidays on Santa, God, Heaven, Death and Other Fun Stuff from Someone Who Still Has a Lot to Learn," a collection of holiday-related essays, and "The Note," a book about the power of appreciation that was named Best Gift Book of 2011 in the Living Now Book Awards.
Mike is also series editor for Dream of Things anthologies, including "Be There Now," an anthology of travel stories from around the world, and "Saying Goodbye," a collection of true stories about how we say goodbye to the people, places, and things in our lives.
In his career, Mike has written essays, fiction, drama and sketch comedy. He has published stories and essays in the Sunday magazines of the Chicago Tribune, Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, Baltimore Sun, Cleveland Plain Dealer and Detroit Free Press. He has also written and produced sketch comedy in Chicago, and he was a commentator on WNIJ - Northern Illinois Public Radio, doing weekly commentaries as part of the local segment of National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" program.
Mike is a graduate of Knox College (BA in Economics and English-Writing), the University of Montana (MFA in Creative Writing, MA in English Literature), and the Second City Comedy Writing Program.
Dream of Things is an independent press focused on memoirs, essay collections, and other books that align with with the Dream of Things mission to publish "distinctive voices, meaningful books." Other books from Dream of Things include:
- Any Road Will Take You There by David W. Berner
- She's Not Herself by Linda Appleman Shapiro
- Betty's Child by Donald R. Dempsey
- Swimming with Maya by Eleanor Vincent
- Everything I Never Wanted to Be by Dina Kucera
- Leaving the Hall Light On by Madeline Sharples
- Daughters of Absence by Mindy Weisel
- MFA in a Box by John Rember
- Be There Now, edited by Julie Rand and Mike O'Mary
- Saying Goodbye, edited by Julie Rember and Mike O'Mary
For more information about Dream of Things, visit dreamofthings dot com.
To contact Mike O'Mary, write to mike at michaelomary dot com.