Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 118 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 198 reviews
on November 12, 2014
So, yeah, I gave this book 3 stars--but I feel I have to explain that rating a bit. I actually liked this book more than I enjoyed any other 3 star book, but I just didn't feel I could give it 4 stars. I gave he two books that precede this one the series (Big Stone Gap and Big Cherry Holler) 4 stars each and, despite the fact that I enjoyed this book, it just wasn't as good as the other two.

First off, this is not a stand alone book. If you haven't read the two previous books, this one will make no sense. I'm not counting that against Milk Glass Moon, but I do feel I should say that. However, for those of you who have read (and enjoyed) Big Stone Gap and Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon will feel like coming home. The characters are still as lovable and quirky as ever .... which is both good and bad.

It's great if you want something familiar. Yes, the fact remains that no one has really changed--including Ave Maria. Because of that, this book felt a bit stalled as the characters haven't really developed since the first and second books. Ave Maria is still dealing with the same feelings that she doesn't belong that she did in the first book, feelings that I felt had been (or should have been) resolved already.

This book also seemed to lack any real plot. It takes place over about 4 or 5 years and at times it really feels like Trigiani is just skipping through time. Without a strong plot to hold such a long time period together, an author has no choice but to write only on the topmost layer of things.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it was like visiting old friends who are always the same, but it wasn't a satisfying read. I'm glad I read it, but I think I could only recommend it to people who are fans of the first 2 books and want a "check in" with the characters. There is one more book in the series, which I will be reading at some point in the not-so-distant future, and I hope that Trigiani returns to storytelling with the conclusion to this series.
on November 3, 2011
I love all the characters in this book. Because Trigiani lets you get to know the characters so well, you get a feel for Big Stone Gap's smallness. Ave Maria is such a lovable character that you're always on her side, understanding where she's coming from. I liked this book, but I have two issues with it: One, Ave Maria is compared to Jack Mac and comes off looking like a crazy woman even when I think she's in the right. When her teenage daughter comes home drunk in Italy, Jack just shrugs it off. "Well, at least she made it home and was with an adult. She's sorry. Oopps. Oh well." Maybe there are parents that wouldn't find it a big deal, but I found Jack's nonchalant attitude a little unbelievable. Two, Etta grew up so fast! One minute she's 12 and just a kid and then there are huge jumps in time and oh, four years have passed with no commentary. It made the book feel a little rushed.

This entire series {and writer} is really fantastic. Plus, she always writes about Italy and Italians, which I love. She's able to write entertaining stories without coming off as an airhead, chick-lit writer. Not that I don't like those kind of books....
on November 25, 2015
The next phase of Ave Maria's life makes her face some harsh realities. Coping with loss, her daughter,and her husband loosing his job in the coal mine, Ave must make some important decisions. She goes to Italy to spend time with her family, while her husband stays home. Will he be able to resist the attention of another woman? Will Ave Maria resist Paul's interest in her while she's in Italy with Ella? Read this book to find out the outcome. You'll enjoy this book.
on August 2, 2002
In the third installation In the Big Stone Gap trilogy we are
reunited with our beloved characters from Big Stone Gap, Virginia. After the long, winding road we took with Ave Maria and Jack Mac in Big Stone Gap, and the introspective look we got at the realities of their marriage 8 years later in Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon lets us into these treasured characters lives even deeper. This is another sequel that does not disappoint. The gang of favorite towns folk are back: Iva Lou, Pearl, Fleeta, Spec & the like. Beginning four years after Big Cherry Holler leaves off, Ave Maria is experiencing the challenges of unchartered waters in the territory of motherhood. She's learning how to deal with a teenage daughter, Etta, who it seems has more in common with her father-.."she's all Macchesney.."As Ave struggles to form a bond with Etta, she must find a balance between trying to protect her daughter from the mistakes she made, and allowing Etta to be her own person.
Milk Glass Moon maintains the charm that it's sister novels possessed, but opens the heart even deeper. You'll struggle through more of lifes twists and turns with the Big Stone Gap family and share more joys. Not only does Ave cope with learning to let go of the reign of motherhood, she is also forced to re-examine some old story lines with Pete Rutlidge and the effects this temptation has on her marriage. Ave also faces the changes time inevitably brings, as friends grow older and life as she has known it is being redefined. Trigiani's writing and gift for story telling continue to be magical. In Big Stone Gap she will make you fall in love with the town & it's family. In Big Cherry Holler she lets you in to some heavier issues and the path that true love and years of marriage can find itself on. In Milk Glass Moon we see how years of struggles and triumphs work together to make the Big Stone Gap family who they are. We get some closure on some still unresolved issues and Trigiani's usual insightfulness on relationships and human frailties. I couldn't read this novel fast enough, but was sad when it was over. This is one reader who can't wait for more from Trigiani~
on November 12, 2016
I am glad that there is another book after this one!!! Milk Glass Moon continues the Big Stone Gap series, dealing with the developing maturity and independence of Ave Maria's daughter. The characters show further depth and development. There is a very touching ending. Really liked this book
on November 22, 2015
I love all the Big Stone Gap series, I don't know why as I am a very sophisticated city girl from London. I don't like the country, too many bugs and too much green. I like concrete and tall buildings. My late husband was from KY and I found myself reading it out loud in his southern accent, all of the Stone Gap books. I must admit my favourites were the first and the fourth in the series
on July 4, 2015
All the Big Stone Gap novels are heartfelt and charming. Adriana Trigiani is a terrific women's woman writer, with lots of humor and zest. She's a great summer read, a great beach read, and general all round storyteller. If you need a break between some heavier duty reading, she's the perfect antidote.
on January 30, 2011
This series was recommended by a friend and on the Today Show. It took me a minute to get into this first book. It definately picked up in the middle to end. The 2nd in the series was the best!! The characters evolve and the story line heats up. Definately worth getting through the first. I became attached in the 2nd book and read straight through all 4 in a matter of 2 months. Couldn't put them down. I have also heard the author has written the screenplay and will be directing the movie sometime soon. Looking forward to seeing the story unfold on the big screen. Perfect series to curl up by the fire on a cold winter day. :-)
on February 3, 2017
I could not put any of these books down once I started reading them. The characters came to life on the pages. I laughed and cry with every chapter.
on August 16, 2016
My family is from Wise, but we live in Atlanta. The story is great, the pace & characters are strong and I can imagine every scene and how Ave feels or copes. Highly recommended!