Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 27, 2015
I was duped by the title of this book. It is supposed to be about random digits. And at first glance you do see randomness.

But after reading the book a while I started seeing a pattern. I did extensive research to prove my theory. After hours of mathematical modeling I conclusively proved that there is a set of numbers in this book that it not only a pattern, but is outright sequential!

The top corner of each page (left corner on the left side pages, right corner of the right side pages) was a list of sequential numbers from 1 to 628, all in a row. No numbers are skipped. Even the prime numbers are included! At first you don't notice this because there is only 1 number on each page. But as you advance through the book you notice that the numbers keep advancing by 1 every time you turn the page.
33 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2013
They sure don't come up with random numbers like they used to. If you look closely, you will note that every tenth digit or so is just a repeat of the last digit and every hundredth or so is a just the same digit repeated three times. How sloppy!

A sampling of this "work":

Page 36 - Line 6 - 15 characters in should be 5, not 4.
Page 99 - Line 18 - first three characters should be "453" not "345".
Page 145 - Line 2 - 7th and 19th characters transposed.
Page 190 - Whole line of numbers omitted betwen 6th and 7th lines.
Pages 210 and 211 - Two sections appear quasi-randomized, instead of randomized.

Also, if you stare at it long enough, you can decode something around page 300 about Jody Foster and J.D. Salinger giving me some sort of instructions. I'm going to stay up another couple nights staring at this to see if I can make out anything further.

***********

Post-Script: After a couple of weeks of studying this book, I set it down and let it be for a while. However, something kept nagging at me - something I couldn't put my finger on. I knew that I had seen all this somewhere before, I just couldn't place it... I was thinking Dan Brown, but I think the Di Vinci Code had something to do with painting or the Vatican or something like that. Maybe that Oprah Book Club guy who got caught lying, but that was kinda a different thing too.

I let it go, but it just kept eating at me. I knew I had seen it before, I just knew it. About a month later, I decided to bring the book along to the Rhode Island coast so that I'd have something to thumb through on the beach. As I battled livered kelp from between my toes with the murmur of low tide brushing the pebbled shore on the wind, a revelation hit me between the eyes like a Mack truck into a kindergarten.

"WAIT A MINUTE!" I literally jumped out of my fold-away beach lounger: "This is just a straight copy of a string of digits appearing in pi!" Sure enough somewhere in the first 10^(10^7) or so digits of pi, there it was. The authors (if you can call them that) had just cut-and-pasted straight out of the original work!

Since then, I've been writing increasingly vitriolic communiqués to the Rand Corporation daily trying to get them to admit to their fraud, but as of yet have had no response.
0Comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2014
"A Million Random Digits"? HA!
They only used 10, and just kept repeating them in different combinations!
Don't be fooled!
0Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 26, 2012
I bought two copies of this book. I find that the first copy perfectly predicts what the numbers will be in the second copy. I feel cheated.
22 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 30, 2013
It seemed like about 10% of the time I was able to predict which number was next. It was still better than Life of Pi which, aside from being irrational, included no estimations of Pi at all.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2011
The book is too hard to follow, the author randomly shifts from one number to another without any prior warning.
11 comment| 438 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 6, 2012
This has got to be the most useless set of sudoku puzzles ever.

In my copy of the book, all of the puzzles were already filled in which I find really annoying and what is worse, most of them have been filled in wrongly.

I have been through the whole book really carefully and only found seven puzzles that had been filled out correctly! Yes, just seven.

Well, making the best of a bad job, I am now going through the book trying to correct all of the faulty puzzles and I will then submit my corrections.

Perhaps a second edition will be more useful.

I did find last week's winning lottery numbers on page 18 though.
0Comment| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2006
Such a terrific reference work! But with so many terrific random digits, it's a shame they didn't sort them, to make it easier to find the one you're looking for.
3838 comments| 1,911 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2014
The plot was confusing. Was it 7899365 or 522994? Can't be sure. The author doesn't explain 4836255's involvement and what the hell was up with 908872? I will admit that 912243 made me cry, and I nearly busted a gut over 3345221. Damn that 88631. My emotions were just all over the place.
on June 7, 2012
I started reading this book with great enthusiasm, based on all the five star ratings here on amazon.

I'm not sure why exactly, I can't really put my finger on it, but by about the halfway mark, I started to lose interest.

Best I can come up with, is that the storyline, the plot, lacked cohesiveness.
The narrative was a tad bit... random in spots. And maybe a bit over-long.

Honestly, if it had been edited down to 750,000 digits, with 75,000 normal deviates, I don't think the overall story would have suffered.

But I pushed on through to the end, and was glad I did, because the ending - damn! what a cliff hanger!

I won't give away any details, you'd have a hard time believing them anyhow, if I did.

Still, given how much I struggled to stay interested through most of the middle of it, it's barely worthy of three stars.