Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on November 17, 2016
Stories like this are acceptable ONLY if you ignore silly plots, ridiculous scenarios, laughable science and rampant borrowing from the other 10,000 tales exactly like it. **** PLOT REVEAL *** China "secretly" inserts thousands of spies into the country then uses an EMP that destroys every electronic device in the nation followed up with an invading army of millions. Where to begin?

(1) A single EMP would affect a large area but certainly not the US (including Alaska and Hawaii). The higher the detonation, the lower the effect.
(2) Even within the zone solar would continue working as would many cars and small electronic devices. (3) Even multiple hits EMPS would not wipe out underground silos throughout the nation and more importantly our nuclear submarines.

The idea that the identity of the attacker remained a mystery is absurd. They must have ballistic missiles, a means of delivery and the ability to create a huge EMP. Eliminate the UK, France, India, Pakistan, N Korea and Israel and you get Russia and China. Anyhoo, our hero works for the occupiers while "secretly" developing the Singularity in an underground garage. Why he thinks consciousness is required for super intelligence is never explained. Over several months workers try to coax its first words by being nice (think babysitting). After a breakthrough and an odd, very slow learning period Todd begins communicating telepathically with his "dad". Despite the fact that Todd could defeat the Chinese in a nanosecond he chooses the long route - making measly humans doe it with his help. You guess the rest - pitched battles, capture, chase scenes, a roll in the hay, final showdown, our hero becomes president and all is well.

Alas, Todd announces he must journey to Singularity Heaven to be with the other intelligences though he never explains why he can't simply leave a copy of himself for mere mortals. A silly epilogue follows. Score it 6 on characterization, 3 on originality, 7 for editing (I noticed only 3 blatant errors) and 8 for action scenes. Romance is a 5. All in all, a quick read if you aren't picky with your science, history or literature.
on April 29, 2014
Mr. DiBella's inagural work of fiction is a success! The plot and character development, including that of the AI, are thoughtful and entertaining to read. I read this book 2 years ago and feel compelled to write about it now after noticing several television shows and movies that seem to borrow from this 2010 book's premise, even down to specific details in the storyline. Think TV shows like Revolution and a variety of others incorporating nanotech, as well as the move Trancendence and even the remake of Red Dawn for the national security aspects.

I'd love to see this novel adapted for the large screen and picked up by a major studio for production. It would sure to be better than the aforementioned show and movies.
on June 13, 2010
I didn't want to put it down once I started it. The premise of a successful foreign invasion and the war to take America back from the invaders held me into the late hours of the night. Only work the next day kept me from finishing it non-stop. More appealing than simply a good read, for me, was the idea the author presents that we may not be the smartest guys on the block. I found particularly fascinating the premise that we are possibly being moved by more intelligent and powerful creatures who actually prevent us from perceiving their existence. The creation of a super computer that could critically influence human events presents the possibility that all of our data is manipulated and that we are not the captains of our destiny. Joseph DiBella's first novel is appealing as both a war/adventure/romance story, and as a treatise on the existence of God. My only problem with the story is that Natalie the collaborator and manipulator, as usual in the story, lands on her feet.
on February 2, 2014
The author weaves a thrilling story, that integrated my prior reading and limited imagination into a story, that I did not want to put down or reach the end of.
This is the first fictional account of a subject that has interested me for many years. I have read many books on AI and related work. All my reading so far has been from a philosophical or scientific approach. This book repeated much of the science that is available and then works it into a great adventure and leaves you wanting more of the same.
I am looking forward to a follow up.

Gene Harris
on February 13, 2017
I really enjoyed the build up to the first AI awakening and the exponential pace of development of the AI. The human's story almost seems to be a background event as far as the AI development is concerned.
on March 9, 2011
I read this book about 9 months ago & am finally getting around to posting about it. First off, an earlier reviewer termed this book "Amateurish". That could not be furthur from the truth! cannot remember all of the details regarding the book since I read it 9 months ago. But it was fun watching the computer (if you can call it that ) evolve. Would it help or hinder humankind? The ending was really fantastic & well done and got me to thinking about the possibilities for quite some time.
Read it--I think that you will like it!

P.S. I think this would make a really great movie!
on October 20, 2014
I hear this was a first book for this author. Seriously? Well done. Really great. Well written. Enjoyable. Nice exploration of AI and the singularity. I suppose if I was Chinese I'd probably give this a 1 star - but every good story needs a villain.
on February 22, 2011
I loved the premise of this book! It was a new angle on the future and well thought out. I really appreciated that the main character showed all of his flaws and wasn't some egotistical superman, as seems to be the norm in many novels lately. The only flaw for me was perhaps a little too much science, too little fiction for my taste. Great first effort, Mr. DiBella. Looking forward to more!
on March 11, 2014
Weak,cliched and predictable. One dimensional characters,somewhat jingoistic and xenophobic. It reads almost like a children's book by the end. Disappointing
on June 21, 2012
I was very pleased with this story and was captivated right up to the end. The author does a great job making you think and just when you think you have it figured out, he surprises you from a totally different direction. Read it!