Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,367 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,602 reviews
on January 11, 2014
A lot of people are talking about receiving the game with missing instructions & pouch. Mine was also missing the instructions & pouch. However, I contacted Amazon, and promptly received a replacement along with a free-shipping RMA. To my surprise, the new one was very different.

First, the box is much bigger. It also has different labeling on the front. Most importantly, it seems to be made by different companies. The original smaller box (missing instructions & pouch) is made by Smart Elephant, where the new larger one is made by MindWare. There are also a few other differences in the front. The backs are completely different. I won't detail each difference, but I will post pics showing the differences.

After seeing the pouch and instructions, I don't see how the Smart Elephant version *could* contain the pouch alone, not to mention the pouch *and* instructions. The tiles are such a snug fit in the box, it would have to bulge in order for the folded pouch -- and particularly the draw-strings -- to fit.

And this is even though the bottom-front cover of the Smart Elephant box clearly states "Instructions Included", and the back also lists "1 bag" and "1 instruction booklet" in the list of components. So I'm not sure if this is a counterfeit or if it's just poor production.

Regardless, if you don't get the MindWare version, you should probably contact Amazon for a replacement. If anyone has the Smart Elephant version and it contains the instructions and pouch, please post in the comments.

As for the game itself, I think it's great. It's sort of a mix between Scrabble and Uno, where you have 6 sets of shapes and 6 sets of colors (36 total unique tiles x 3 of each tile = 108 total tiles). When you place a tile, it has to match *either* the shape *or* the color of the set of all adjacent tiles.

You score a point for each tile in any set(s) you create/extend (similar to scoring in Scrabble), plus a bonus 6 tiles for any sets (of 6 colors or shapes) you complete. The set you're creating/extending cannot contain two of the same shape (for a color set) or two of the same color (for a shape set) -- each set has to be made up of 6 or less unique tiles of the same color or shape.

Regarding age, the game is rated for six and up, though it could probably be played by an even younger audience. Of course, younger players may not be able to use strategy to the same level older players can, but most will still be able to have a good time. Our six-year-old actually was able to pull off some pretty clever moves against us (beating the three of us in the end), but at other times, he struggles.

The other thing to take into account is the level of patience some younger players may need while everyone else is trying to figure out their move. It may make sense to play less strategically in the interest of speed to keep their interest. This may be the biggest issue for us, and depending on the mood, a more fast-paced game may be more appropriate.

Regarding quality, the tiles (in the edition as of this writing) are painted wood. We haven't played enough to determine if they will eventually wear, but they seem of good enough quality. The pouch (assuming you get one!) can be used to store the tiles when not being used, as well as being used to draw from during play.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2015
Qwirkle: 2-4 Players, Ages 8+, Average Play Time = 45-60 Minutes*

*You can shorten the game’s length by removing some/half of the tiles from the game at random during setup.

Firstly, let’s get the few complaints I have out of the way. Some of the colors tend to blend together, like red and orange. While there aren’t that many alternate colors to choose from, I do feel that different shades would have worked better. It’s not a game-breaker, but you may sometimes experience eye-strain if a source of light is hitting the tiles in just the wrong way. Colorblind folks may also have issues playing this game. I personally would have had each tile etched with a small “R”, “O”, “Y”, “G, “B”, or “P” so that affected players could determine which color they were looking at.

Color issues aside, this game is fantastic. The pieces are fairly hefty and the bag is most certainly large enough to handle all the tiles. I did remove the box inserts to make the game easier to put away. The gameplay is simplistic but encourages strategic play and critical thinking. Players might earn a lot of points laying down two or three tiles on their current turn, but sometimes that opens the door for someone else to finish of the line and make a “Qwirkle”. This makes the idea of playing one low-scoring tile to screw up a potential “Qwirkle” for someone else a valid one. All in all, this game is family-friendly and an easy recommend, though the colorblind should beware. So as long as others in the group are willing to help their colorblind friends out as needed, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
on May 4, 2017
A great game of strategy that doesn't need batteries and doesn't make any noise!! Can play simply for beginners and then later cutthroat for the more experienced. The tiles are a nice quality wood and easy to handle. Tile holders would be nice but the tiles do stand up well on their own. The game was complete and I received exactly what I was supposed to get. I would have preferred it, however, if the box top was solid and did not have that lateral opening in it in case any tiles "escape" from the drawstring bag.
on February 22, 2017
Our family loves this game! We were introduced to this by a friend and now we're hooked. We recently added baby #5 to our wonderful large family and I just purchased a 2nd Qwirkle to add to our first so the whole family can play together. I love that I can combine more than one as our family grows and as friends visit.
on June 21, 2016
This game is fantastic for anyone who like puzzles/problem solving games. You will only get better and better the more you play (similar to chess) as you develop new ways of thinking and fine tune your strategy.

This game provides hours of fun (the games can take an hour or so) and it keeps you on your toes thinking critically.

On second thought, I shouldn't really be reviewing this product... I've yet to win against my girlfriend.. maybe she should have written the review?

Seriously though, it's a fun game.
on June 18, 2017
This is a combination of dominos and rummy. Pieces are solid and the instructions have very comprehensive scoring examples. It requires some strategy but it also dependent on the luck of the draw so a good balance. I wanted it for my grandson who is 5 1/2 and found with a little coaching he could play it quite well. For just two, we set the end of the game to be whoever reached a score of 100 instead of when one player is out of pieces. I've also played it with four adults and everyone enjoyed it.
on December 8, 2016
This game is perfect for my autistic son. I love the contrast in colors so he can see them better and put the 'likeness' shapes in the same lines. This is a Christmas gift for him so I will have to ask his roommates in CA how he likes it. He's 33yrs old now & this is a perfect Brodie game. It's hard to find games that don't look like baby games or things that others would call 'inappropriate'. This is a game that will teach him to sort by color too. Looking at the game right off I could see that it was exactly what we've been working on for so long with him. Thank you!
on December 8, 2013
Qwirkle is an awesome family game and our family loves it. To be honest, there's not much I can say that 800+ glowing reviews haven't already said. However, what I can add is a caution to be sure you get a genuine Qwirkle game. We already own Qwirkle and love it and wanted to give one to our daughter's friend for her birthday, so I bought another one from this Amazon listing. When the product came, the box was significantly smaller than our Qwirkle, the image on the box was slightly fuzzy, and there was no UPC code printed on the box. These signs made me wonder if something was not right with the version we received, so I opened the box to find that instead of real wood tiles, this was a cheap knockoff with plastic tiles and no instruction manual nor drawstring bag (both critical to be able to actually play the game!)

I purchased the item directly from Amazon, not from a third party seller, so it appears some fake / counterfeit items have worked their way directly into Amazon's inventory.

The easiest way to identify if you have a counterfeit Qwirkle is from the box. If it looks like the box in this listing (a separate Amazon listing that is directly selling the counterfeit Qwirkle): Qwirkle Board Game then you have a fake on your hands. The fake box has a small elephant logo in the lower right corner and doesn't have the "TM" trademark identifier above the title Qwirkle. If you get a counterfeit Qwirkle when buying from this listing I would contact Amazon immediately and complain. They'll only fix it if they get enough customer complaints.
on February 9, 2016
When we purchased this for my nephew's Christmas present, his mother worried that it might be too simplistic for him. By New Year's Day, everyone in the extended family was playing, often without the kids. It's interesting to see how each game evolves. Be it strategy or luck, the combinations can be very different from one round to the next. Now that we are back home, I think we need to get another set for ourselves. It also is a very pretty game -- I love the look of the bold, colorful tiles.
on March 7, 2017
Great game for all ages. My 8 year old has autism and sensory processing disorder, and this game is fantastic for development and family fun. You can also choose to play as long or short as you want. Tiles are made of wood, good quality.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.