Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,275 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,500 reviews
on January 11, 2014
A lot of people are talking about receiving the game with missing instructions & pouch. Mine was also missing the instructions & pouch. However, I contacted Amazon, and promptly received a replacement along with a free-shipping RMA. To my surprise, the new one was very different.

First, the box is much bigger. It also has different labeling on the front. Most importantly, it seems to be made by different companies. The original smaller box (missing instructions & pouch) is made by Smart Elephant, where the new larger one is made by MindWare. There are also a few other differences in the front. The backs are completely different. I won't detail each difference, but I will post pics showing the differences.

After seeing the pouch and instructions, I don't see how the Smart Elephant version *could* contain the pouch alone, not to mention the pouch *and* instructions. The tiles are such a snug fit in the box, it would have to bulge in order for the folded pouch -- and particularly the draw-strings -- to fit.

And this is even though the bottom-front cover of the Smart Elephant box clearly states "Instructions Included", and the back also lists "1 bag" and "1 instruction booklet" in the list of components. So I'm not sure if this is a counterfeit or if it's just poor production.

Regardless, if you don't get the MindWare version, you should probably contact Amazon for a replacement. If anyone has the Smart Elephant version and it contains the instructions and pouch, please post in the comments.

As for the game itself, I think it's great. It's sort of a mix between Scrabble and Uno, where you have 6 sets of shapes and 6 sets of colors (36 total unique tiles x 3 of each tile = 108 total tiles). When you place a tile, it has to match *either* the shape *or* the color of the set of all adjacent tiles.

You score a point for each tile in any set(s) you create/extend (similar to scoring in Scrabble), plus a bonus 6 tiles for any sets (of 6 colors or shapes) you complete. The set you're creating/extending cannot contain two of the same shape (for a color set) or two of the same color (for a shape set) -- each set has to be made up of 6 or less unique tiles of the same color or shape.

Regarding age, the game is rated for six and up, though it could probably be played by an even younger audience. Of course, younger players may not be able to use strategy to the same level older players can, but most will still be able to have a good time. Our six-year-old actually was able to pull off some pretty clever moves against us (beating the three of us in the end), but at other times, he struggles.

The other thing to take into account is the level of patience some younger players may need while everyone else is trying to figure out their move. It may make sense to play less strategically in the interest of speed to keep their interest. This may be the biggest issue for us, and depending on the mood, a more fast-paced game may be more appropriate.

Regarding quality, the tiles (in the edition as of this writing) are painted wood. We haven't played enough to determine if they will eventually wear, but they seem of good enough quality. The pouch (assuming you get one!) can be used to store the tiles when not being used, as well as being used to draw from during play.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2009
I was trying to find a game to play with a client who has dementia and ran across this in an article. After I bought it I tested it out with my kids (25, 24, 19 and 11) and myself (47). We had so much fun!! It is one of those games that can be played at different levels. We started getting quite inventive on where and when to play to maximize our points and block our opponents.

I then played with my client. She and I did not keep score. We just made the chains with either shapes or colors and added wherever she first recognized a play. No trying to strategize where to build for future etc. We also played with both of our tiles up so we could talk about the best places to play. She likes this game and actually remembers having played before and wants to play again. The 'rules' have to be re-learned but the fun remains.

For one more note, we had a group of my daughters friends over and four of us played Quirkle. They were all 19 - 22. That got pretty cutthroat <lol> They all want to play again.

I HIGHLY recommend this game. I think I'm going to buy a 2nd one so more than 4 can play together (We played with 5 first night and it does work too).
44 comments| 460 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2008
Our family loves this game. It's completely different each time you play and is challenging for all ages. I feel bad for the reviewer with poor quality game pieces -- ours has very nice, wooden pieces with a carrying bag for them all.
on May 9, 2016
I purchased this game for my mom who has Alzheimer's. She was really excited when she saw it and was able to play the game with me also. It's a great game because she was able to succeed and actually be good at playing the game.
review image
on December 8, 2015
LOOK FOR THE OLD VERSION OF THE PRODUCT. THIS ONE IS POOR QUALITY. This is review for Qwirkle Board Game
Mindware, Sold by: Amazon.com LLC.
During the game you are supposed to keep the wooden blocks in a bag (to draw new blocks without looking). The problem is the current bag is so small, it cannot actually fit all the wooden blocks in it. Moreover, the diameter of the bag (it has a bottom made of a circular piece of fabric) is so small and the bag is so tightly packed with blocks that you cannot close the box when storing blocks in the bag. Well, you could just store the blocks in the box, and put the bag on the side - this makes sense, right? Problem is the lid of the box has a hole that they made to show you the blocks, so the wooden blocks can easily fall out.
on April 4, 2017
Fun and challenging game. Easy to learn. Great for all ages, even young and old playing together. The blocks are well made and don't feel cheap.

We bought this as a birthday gift for one of our children, but it immediately became the property of the whole family because everyone wanted to play it when they had friends over. We've all kind of taken the game over.

One thing to note is that if the lighting isn't good where you are sitting it might be hard to distinguish the red from the orange or distinguish the dark colors because they are the background is black, so keep that in mind if playing with someone with poor eyesight. My eyesight isn't poor but I often had to shift my seating to be sure of the color if there was a glare or the lighting wasn't right.

Highly recommended!
on October 9, 2015
My 5 and 8 year old grandchildren love this game. It's a great way to teach matching colors and shapes. I actually bought a second set so we can build a great big design. One set is for the coffee table, but two sets are for the dining room table! After we are done the kids like to get our their little Leggo people and the Qwirkle design become a fantasy world for the kids. This is fun for the kids and me. Also, it keeps them entertained for a very long time! I've attached a couple of photos.
review image review image
on March 26, 2017
The game is great but I do not recommend ordering it from MindWare because ours arrived smelling strongly of mold/mildew. The box/packaging/instructions had to be thrown out immediately. I hoped that laundering the bag in which the tiles are kept would help the issue--nope, that had to be tossed too. We aired out the tiles and now they only smell faintly or mold/mildew but the smell is definitely still there. Perhaps MindWare has some kind of flooding/humidity issue in their warehouse that they have not properly taken care of? I recommend this game, but strongly suggest you purchase it elsewhere.
on April 24, 2016
I was very much looking forward to buying Qwirkle and playing the game with my nieces! From all the reviews I've read online, it seems like a great game to play with family.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer I purchased the game from (this one) seems to be counterfeit. The game comes in the same box packaging, but there is a different logo at the bottom right. Additionally, there are numerous spelling mistakes on the back of the box. Inside, they do send you the wooden game pieces, but about a dozen of them come chipped. Lastly, they do not give you a bag in the order, though it is advertised as coming with one.

After more research, this isn't an isolated problem. Many customers have reported that this product does not contain the bag. Do not buy this product! Make sure you get this game from the actual publisher, otherwise you will be very disappointed.
review image
on April 1, 2016
This game is great for family time with younger children around the age of 7 or so. It requires some thinking ahead and how to place the titles. We love to play this game with our family and my daughter is very competitive and has beat us a couple of times with it. One down side is you can only play up to four people, there are not enough titles to really play more than that. Would be great if they made it where more people could play with more titles. Game is fun!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.