Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 11, 2014
A lot of people are talking about receiving the game with missing instructions & pouch. Mine was also missing the instructions & pouch. However, I contacted Amazon, and promptly received a replacement along with a free-shipping RMA. To my surprise, the new one was very different.

First, the box is much bigger. It also has different labeling on the front. Most importantly, it seems to be made by different companies. The original smaller box (missing instructions & pouch) is made by Smart Elephant, where the new larger one is made by MindWare. There are also a few other differences in the front. The backs are completely different. I won't detail each difference, but I will post pics showing the differences.

After seeing the pouch and instructions, I don't see how the Smart Elephant version *could* contain the pouch alone, not to mention the pouch *and* instructions. The tiles are such a snug fit in the box, it would have to bulge in order for the folded pouch -- and particularly the draw-strings -- to fit.

And this is even though the bottom-front cover of the Smart Elephant box clearly states "Instructions Included", and the back also lists "1 bag" and "1 instruction booklet" in the list of components. So I'm not sure if this is a counterfeit or if it's just poor production.

Regardless, if you don't get the MindWare version, you should probably contact Amazon for a replacement. If anyone has the Smart Elephant version and it contains the instructions and pouch, please post in the comments.

As for the game itself, I think it's great. It's sort of a mix between Scrabble and Uno, where you have 6 sets of shapes and 6 sets of colors (36 total unique tiles x 3 of each tile = 108 total tiles). When you place a tile, it has to match *either* the shape *or* the color of the set of all adjacent tiles.

You score a point for each tile in any set(s) you create/extend (similar to scoring in Scrabble), plus a bonus 6 tiles for any sets (of 6 colors or shapes) you complete. The set you're creating/extending cannot contain two of the same shape (for a color set) or two of the same color (for a shape set) -- each set has to be made up of 6 or less unique tiles of the same color or shape.

Regarding age, the game is rated for six and up, though it could probably be played by an even younger audience. Of course, younger players may not be able to use strategy to the same level older players can, but most will still be able to have a good time. Our six-year-old actually was able to pull off some pretty clever moves against us (beating the three of us in the end), but at other times, he struggles.

The other thing to take into account is the level of patience some younger players may need while everyone else is trying to figure out their move. It may make sense to play less strategically in the interest of speed to keep their interest. This may be the biggest issue for us, and depending on the mood, a more fast-paced game may be more appropriate.

Regarding quality, the tiles (in the edition as of this writing) are painted wood. We haven't played enough to determine if they will eventually wear, but they seem of good enough quality. The pouch (assuming you get one!) can be used to store the tiles when not being used, as well as being used to draw from during play.
review imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2017
A great game of strategy that doesn't need batteries and doesn't make any noise!! Can play simply for beginners and then later cutthroat for the more experienced. The tiles are a nice quality wood and easy to handle. Tile holders would be nice but the tiles do stand up well on their own. The game was complete and I received exactly what I was supposed to get. I would have preferred it, however, if the box top was solid and did not have that lateral opening in it in case any tiles "escape" from the drawstring bag.
on March 9, 2015
Qwirkle: 2-4 Players, Ages 8+, Average Play Time = 45-60 Minutes*

*You can shorten the game’s length by removing some/half of the tiles from the game at random during setup.

Firstly, let’s get the few complaints I have out of the way. Some of the colors tend to blend together, like red and orange. While there aren’t that many alternate colors to choose from, I do feel that different shades would have worked better. It’s not a game-breaker, but you may sometimes experience eye-strain if a source of light is hitting the tiles in just the wrong way. Colorblind folks may also have issues playing this game. I personally would have had each tile etched with a small “R”, “O”, “Y”, “G, “B”, or “P” so that affected players could determine which color they were looking at.

Color issues aside, this game is fantastic. The pieces are fairly hefty and the bag is most certainly large enough to handle all the tiles. I did remove the box inserts to make the game easier to put away. The gameplay is simplistic but encourages strategic play and critical thinking. Players might earn a lot of points laying down two or three tiles on their current turn, but sometimes that opens the door for someone else to finish of the line and make a “Qwirkle”. This makes the idea of playing one low-scoring tile to screw up a potential “Qwirkle” for someone else a valid one. All in all, this game is family-friendly and an easy recommend, though the colorblind should beware. So as long as others in the group are willing to help their colorblind friends out as needed, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
on June 21, 2016
This game is fantastic for anyone who like puzzles/problem solving games. You will only get better and better the more you play (similar to chess) as you develop new ways of thinking and fine tune your strategy.

This game provides hours of fun (the games can take an hour or so) and it keeps you on your toes thinking critically.

On second thought, I shouldn't really be reviewing this product... I've yet to win against my girlfriend.. maybe she should have written the review?

Seriously though, it's a fun game.
on March 7, 2017
Great game for all ages. My 8 year old has autism and sensory processing disorder, and this game is fantastic for development and family fun. You can also choose to play as long or short as you want. Tiles are made of wood, good quality.
on April 26, 2017
This game is really great for family night. My 7-year-old was able to pick it up very quickly and even used a certain amount of strategy. Even my 3-year-old was able to catch on after watching for a bit. Very easy to set up and learn.
on April 1, 2016
This game is great for family time with younger children around the age of 7 or so. It requires some thinking ahead and how to place the titles. We love to play this game with our family and my daughter is very competitive and has beat us a couple of times with it. One down side is you can only play up to four people, there are not enough titles to really play more than that. Would be great if they made it where more people could play with more titles. Game is fun!
on November 4, 2017
Fun game...play it with my husband every so often. He really enjoys it because he almost always beats me--I am far better at word games.
But despite how often I lose, we like spending time together doing something other than watching TV. Each game probably takes us between 30-45 minutes, but it would probably be faster if we weren't so competitive.
on June 2, 2017
Other games have come & gone but this is our enduring favorite. We have all the neighbors hooked on it and have given it many times as a gift to great acclaim. We've played with as young as 9 and as old as 80, and everyone has a great time -- we like that age makes no difference, it's all about pattern finding/awareness.
on December 5, 2015
A fun game that looks simple, but can get pretty strategic if played by adults. I recommend it for over 10-12 year olds. The younger children quickly got bored even though, at first, they enjoyed it. The 4 year old loved showing off his math skills as we added our scores, but got bored after several turns. One 10 year old found it not exciting, but the 12 year old showed great strategy and it kept her interest. Great for adults. The wood tiles are blocky and feel good to handle. The enamel finish is nice, but we have an issue with the colors.

Although the colors look vivid in the pictures, the colors on black background can be hard to see in artificial lighting. White background would be much easier on the eyes, even for normally sighted individuals. My husband has red/green colorblindness and cannot tell the colors. The blue and purple look exactly alike to him. I had to take a permanent marker and write the first letter of each color in the center of each tile. It would be nice if the company would modify this to have a white background and make the colors more vivid, such as more difference between orange and red and between blue and purple.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.