Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Qwirkle Board Game
Size: None|Color: Multicolor|Change

on December 28, 2010
Everyone in my family had the same initial reaction, "Looks lame." After all, it's just making rows of shapes or colors. After the first game we all figured out there's more to it. As my daughter said, "Well, checkers looks easy too; it's just moving pieces diagonally to the other side of the board."

On the downside, as another review mentioned, the pieces are cheaply made- low quality wood and paint, non-uniform size. But the most egregious design flaw is the selection of colors. For me, the red and orange are so close that even in good light I find myself holding them up at different angles just to make sure I don't confuse them.

I must compliment the author of the instructions. As you would expect on a game that appears simple on the surface but ultimately has many nuances, communicating those to the game player is essential. The directions walk through a hypothetical series of moves that pretty much cover any scoring or strategy intricacy that you might run into.

Bottom line: As long as you have decent color vision and are not a stickler for perfection in construction then put this game in your cart and check out right now. Your family will thank you.
1010 comments| 406 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2014
A lot of people are talking about receiving the game with missing instructions & pouch. Mine was also missing the instructions & pouch. However, I contacted Amazon, and promptly received a replacement along with a free-shipping RMA. To my surprise, the new one was very different.

First, the box is much bigger. It also has different labeling on the front. Most importantly, it seems to be made by different companies. The original smaller box (missing instructions & pouch) is made by Smart Elephant, where the new larger one is made by MindWare. There are also a few other differences in the front. The backs are completely different. I won't detail each difference, but I will post pics showing the differences.

After seeing the pouch and instructions, I don't see how the Smart Elephant version *could* contain the pouch alone, not to mention the pouch *and* instructions. The tiles are such a snug fit in the box, it would have to bulge in order for the folded pouch -- and particularly the draw-strings -- to fit.

And this is even though the bottom-front cover of the Smart Elephant box clearly states "Instructions Included", and the back also lists "1 bag" and "1 instruction booklet" in the list of components. So I'm not sure if this is a counterfeit or if it's just poor production.

Regardless, if you don't get the MindWare version, you should probably contact Amazon for a replacement. If anyone has the Smart Elephant version and it contains the instructions and pouch, please post in the comments.

As for the game itself, I think it's great. It's sort of a mix between Scrabble and Uno, where you have 6 sets of shapes and 6 sets of colors (36 total unique tiles x 3 of each tile = 108 total tiles). When you place a tile, it has to match *either* the shape *or* the color of the set of all adjacent tiles.

You score a point for each tile in any set(s) you create/extend (similar to scoring in Scrabble), plus a bonus 6 tiles for any sets (of 6 colors or shapes) you complete. The set you're creating/extending cannot contain two of the same shape (for a color set) or two of the same color (for a shape set) -- each set has to be made up of 6 or less unique tiles of the same color or shape.

Regarding age, the game is rated for six and up, though it could probably be played by an even younger audience. Of course, younger players may not be able to use strategy to the same level older players can, but most will still be able to have a good time. Our six-year-old actually was able to pull off some pretty clever moves against us (beating the three of us in the end), but at other times, he struggles.

The other thing to take into account is the level of patience some younger players may need while everyone else is trying to figure out their move. It may make sense to play less strategically in the interest of speed to keep their interest. This may be the biggest issue for us, and depending on the mood, a more fast-paced game may be more appropriate.

Regarding quality, the tiles (in the edition as of this writing) are painted wood. We haven't played enough to determine if they will eventually wear, but they seem of good enough quality. The pouch (assuming you get one!) can be used to store the tiles when not being used, as well as being used to draw from during play.
review imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2017
The tiles are excellent quality. The bag is excellent quality. The game is simple and easy to play. So why am I giving this 4 stars? Because the design of the Box is not well-thought-out. Original packaging have all the tiles shrink wrapped. They fit tightly in the box with the bag and instructions compressed under them.

I soon realized there was a design flaw in the box. After the game is opened, the box is useless. There is a hole in the top of the box so you can see the tiles. However there is no plastic guard to prevent tiles from falling out and you can't close the bagin the box. See included pictures,

So I have to keep the instructions in the bag and thow away the box. It is a shame, but at least the bag and tiles are well constructed.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on December 23, 2017
I played this game at a friends and loved it. I ordered for my son for Christmas. When he opened it, several of the pieces were stuck together and when we got them apart the pain came off of the shapes making it hard to see. Also we had a duplicate red square and were short a red circle.
review imagereview imagereview image
on November 4, 2017
Fun game...play it with my husband every so often. He really enjoys it because he almost always beats me--I am far better at word games.
But despite how often I lose, we like spending time together doing something other than watching TV. Each game probably takes us between 30-45 minutes, but it would probably be faster if we weren't so competitive.
on April 26, 2017
This game is really great for family night. My 7-year-old was able to pick it up very quickly and even used a certain amount of strategy. Even my 3-year-old was able to catch on after watching for a bit. Very easy to set up and learn.
on December 20, 2014
This is a fun family game, truly good for all ages. Unlike some games where it's difficult for the younger ones to beat the older ones, this game has a more level playing field and my younger child can beat the older one, and the kids can beat the adults. The theory behind it reminds me a bit of rumikube. One of our favorite family games!
on May 24, 2017
Great Game! Everyone can play! We recently took it to a beach weekend and was awesome to be able to leave mid game, come back and finish later! I'm a total fan! I prefer the full size over the travel too as the bag for the pieces fits nicely just about anywhere!
on December 2, 2017
Fun game, not too hard to pick up and good to play with either 2 or more people. It can be a little hard to tell the difference between the Orange and Red (why not white?) tiles and that is about the only improvement I'd offer. We first played at a brewery and found the game pretty easy to learn and enjoyable.
on March 21, 2017
Loved the game. Took it to game night and no one knew how to play. Fortunately I made copies of the instructions for everyone to look at as we played a couple of games without keeping score, After that we were ready to play a serious game. Everyone enjoyed it and want me to bring it to our next game night.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.