Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 133 reviews
on November 4, 2015
I'm well educated and a good reader. I usually enjoy digging into information. That said, this book just goes on and on and on while saying very little. There is very little workbook compared to explanation and more explanation of the same thing. This is not a good writer and certainly not an educator.

I also felt like the book put a lot of spin on things that a thoughtful person will see right through. And it did a lot of victim-blaming. Plus, the accompanying CD was just plain aggravating. Lots better meditation options out there with better voices and no jarring gong noise. Lots of weird stuff besides meditations on the CD, also.

I recommend The Happiness Trap as much more readable and helpful right from the get-go. You won't get bogged down and discouraged by it the way this book bogs you down and discourages you before you get any help from it.
on September 26, 2015
While I think there are some good ideas here, it disturbs me that any medical/biological causes of anxiety seem to be dismissed by the authors. I think that any problem can benefit from multiple approaches, so that is why I read this. I do not, however think that ALL anxiety is the result of "not living a life of value". Tell that to a woman who just lost her baby. Also worth noting, the charts and tables are, as I feared, unreadable on Kindle.
on December 29, 2013
This book may help some people, and some may find it to be life-changing... but I certainly didn't.

I found it to be a clunky, choppy and extremely repetitive read. There is such a lack of real wisdom in it and I get the impression that the authors are talking about mild anxiety that everyone gets. Its as if the book is for the very rare cases where someones "normal" anxiousness is debilitating. In those cases, yes, this book could be useful.

Its not a total wash, there are good bits in here for anyone to read, but getting to them is like wading through waist deep molasses - it simply does not flow very well. Like others have commented, the real value of this book could be compiled into just a few pages. I have actually never read such an uninspired and empty book.

I kept telling myself as I read that it wasn't poorly written or lacking wisdom, but instead my difficulty was a result of some deep unconscious aversion to looking at the heart of my problem. Seriously, wading through this book was like hard drudgery work... but with very little reward.

Eventually I realized as I made my way through the chapters that I really wasn't learning anything of value... except the rare tidbit of wisdom I mentioned earlier. No read should be like wading through mud and in the end unfulfilling, empty and uninspired.
on March 26, 2016
didn't find helpful
on May 20, 2016
I didn't like it. Authoritarian language and demeaning. Read it if you like Stephen Covey's stuff!
on October 20, 2013
This is everything Dr. Claire Weekes has always said in a gentler fashion, only drawn out. For me, it was a total waste of money.
on May 26, 2013
After reading some other books on the same or similar subject I must say this one is not as fine as I thought it would be. It is OK, in some parts even interesting, but in my opinion, it does not give a full outlook on the subject.
on December 31, 2014
The book was a disappointment. Some of the exercises were just plain silly. A better choice would be The Mindful Way by Teasdale.
on March 20, 2016
All common have anxiety issues sense, nothing new. If you have anxiety issues there are a lot of books out there that are much more helpful.
on September 7, 2013
VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS BOOK. I WAS GOING TO USE IT WITH MY MINDFULNESS CLASS BUT THERE WASNT ANYTHING DIFFERENT IN IT THAN ANY OTHER MINDFULNESS BOOK.