Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 23, 2016
I was looking forward to reading this for months, and had a mixed reaction when I finally did. The book is valuable for its conceit: that there are two types of mind-sets; the growth and the fixed. The growth is the one to have if you want to thrive in life, career, relationships, etc. People are formed early on into one mindset or the other, but can change to the valuable growth mindset if they put themselves to the task. This is incredibly important and the book's value stands on this assertion alone. All of this can be summed up in a single chapter, or a scientific paper tweaked for the lay reader. The problem is that this argument is stretched thin to become a "book" and Dweck's writing doesn't maintain enough interest on its own and is often clunky, sentimental and obvious at times. I'm sure this happens a lot when a notable scientist, psychologist, etc is given a book deal and needs to expand it to justify a full-length book when something shorter would suffice to most readers (exceptions are brilliant writers like Daniel Kahneman and Daniel Gilbert, etc). So Midset is a mixed bag. The real gift here is the conceit. Read it because it has value. It's an informational book, but not a great book.
55 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2014
I first came across the author in a TED video. Her talk about how "not yet" generates far more power than "fail" was interesting and I decided to buy her book to further read into her studies. The book in general is an interesting piece of work. I like the way she describes the "growth mindset". However, most of the book seems to focus on discussing the difference between "fixed mindset" and "growth mindset" applied to different fields. So it does get very predictable and tedious. There is far not enough discussion about how to better develop the "growth mindset". It is like the author uses the entire book to emphasize how important "growth mindset" is but doesn't really offer much help. In particular, I don't like how she attributes every corporate failure to "fixed mindset". I think it is way too generalizing and over-simplifying.
22 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2015
This has just become one of my two favorite books. I base how much I like a non-fiction book on how much it has affected my life, business or my outlook. This was eye-opening. Sure there a bits that are repetitive, but I actually enjoyed all the different examples, from all the different areas of life, like teaching, being a student, athletics, being a coach, business and CEOs, bullies etc I got something from almost all the different examples, so I think if I'd stopped reading after chapter one I would have enjoyed the book, put it down and gone no further. Instead I feel it's literally changed a huge part of my outlook. It's one I'm going to be telling friends and family about when they asked 'what changed?' next time they see me :)
on October 22, 2017
Carol Dweck explores the value of he growth mindset and how it can change ones's life..personally and professionally. While it isn't per se prescriptive, it encourages one to continue to be curious, introspective, listen to one's self and commit to personal growth while being relationship oriented. How one challenges oneself matters as to whether we continual expand our abilities and becoming personally comfortable or not. Dweck discuses the various aspects of choices we make and meeting commitments while sharing her personal journey and challenges. If the reader seriously considers and applies Dweck's research, journey and questions to your own, it can provide a path for growth and fulfillment. Well worth reading.... not once... but often as refresher!
on October 3, 2017
There are few books I've read which have been so effective in positively impacting my life as this one has. The section on teaching/education is exceptionally interesting because of my own personal (negative) experience in formal schooling, as well as being a Father of 3 boys. I feel this should be required reading for every student, and every teacher in order to foster a healthy self-image.
on May 14, 2016
This book is eye-opening. Understanding growth mindset and making choices from that understanding will change your life for the better. Essential reading for everyone. The information is very accessible and written in an enjoyable, easy to understand way. The author applies mindset theories to sports, education, relationships and more. Very thorough!
on January 21, 2017
This is a thoughtful, logical, and observational book that has changed my perspective on myself and my peers in the workplace (and without). I'm using with my "coach" at work as a development tool, but it is totally useful in my personal life also. I'd highly recommend it.
on May 26, 2017
Great psychology material. Very well presented and if you have any background in psychology, you will be able enjoy this Master Piece from Dr. Dweck!
on May 5, 2017
not sure I can add anything here as so much has already been said about this book by those a lot smarter than I. But as a husband, father, coach and a lot of other things the things shared here are invaluable.
on March 31, 2017
Dweck is a genius! Her work is so versatile, in school, workplace, or even war zones. This is a must-have in any bookshelf!