Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 607 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 685 reviews
on September 5, 2017
This book really is an excellent guide to how you might approach *Organic* gardening, with short shrift paid to methods heavy on toxic pesticides. That is good, because a topic as broad as farming has to be given a certain focus.

Markham seems to know his topic but at times he
omits useful details. Perhaps this was due to space constraints, or time constraints. Maybe he never expected this book to be much of a success. I think that it needs to be published in a second edition, with more details in certain areas, much more sturdy binding, and perhaps without the exact same illustration that takes up 3/4 of a two page spread at the start of every chapter.

Like others have pointed out, it is well organized and full of useful, Valuable information. However, you will want to do your own research and please remember that even organic agriculture has its own variances of opinion on the proper ways of doing something.
on September 13, 2017
This is a pretty basic beginning book, but hey you gotta start somewhere. I don't think that it will be one that you'll continually return to over the years, gleaning more as you go, but it's a great starting point.

It covers important things like composting, irrigation, pest control and seed starting. It even goes a little into the Chicken rearing side if you're thus inclined. I found it helpful for starting out.
on September 27, 2016
Well organized.

Seems to re-address a lot of the information in the Square Foot Gardening book(s).

Does go into areas I've never wondered about.

I do like the plans for the automated chicken plucker...
on April 18, 2016
Excellent book! I suspect this one of the best of it's kind, though I haven't read enough to know that for sure. It's comprehensive and very readable. It is an excellent reference book to have on hand!
on March 9, 2017
Have to say that this is the most helpful book in my beginning gardening category. This author cleared up some of my misconceptions and is the catalyst for some of my best new ideas.
on September 7, 2015
We just bought a quarter of an acre property and I knew from the beginning I wanted a garden. I purchased this book to find out how to best utilize our space. I'm about half way thru the book and so far so good. I love that the book discusses multiple techniques as well as discusses additional home farming needs/tips like raising chickens and canning produce. All things I wanted to know! Love that it helps with crop rotations and time of year. Excited to prep and plant!
on August 11, 2015
I purchased this book for my dad for father's day. I attached packs of heirloom seeds with some kitchen twine & he loved it! It has some effective farming techniques that can be used even on the smallest scale. It also includes instructions for other self-sufficient activities such as canning. It's a really useful book for beginners.
on July 7, 2013
This book is packed full of information for the beginning vegetable, fruit and nut grower. Even the instructions on creating a raised bed garden are very detailed. Most books and articles on the subject simply say a raised bed "is a good thing" without telling how to make one! Still digesting the very detailed chapter on soil nutrients, soil amendments and how to add to these in the best way. The detailed photos such as broccoli with a hollow stem indicating a deficiency, added to impetus to get this right.

I don't think you need even 1/4 acre to benefit from all the gardening tips here. Starting out small, trying a few vegetables at a time and learning what will work in your yard is also a way to go. Whether you do that or jump in both feet first, this book will definitely improve both the quantity and quality of the harvest. You will know the kind of time commitment required and how far to take it from there.
on September 24, 2016
This is a good book for the person who wants to start a garden for personal enjoyment, for family food production or to begin a small business.
The writing style is conversational yet contains enough technical information to understand the basic science of plants and small scale farming. This book has motivated me to give it a try. Now I can't wait to check the mail each day for seed catalogs.
on June 16, 2017
I read this book as someone who would theoretically like to start growing my food in the future. This book was a fascinating resource for me to get a good idea of how much work would be required and what it would be like to grow my own food. I would recommend it to anyone interested in gardening.