Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 514 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 676 reviews
on December 24, 2013
I'm a chronic procrastinator. I'm consistently pinned to my chair, half laying in it and mumbling about not being able to do anything. If I even think about doing something I really want to do, I have a difficult time raising just my hand. I'm an expert at not doing anything, and wasting time. I always thought big, too big. Even other time wasters were difficult to do, like playing games or watching tv shows. In a way, life was a cage where all the fun stuff I want to do was just outside my hand's reach.

Mini habits gave me the key to unlock that cage.

I started simple, 1 push up a day. 1 minute walking outside. Read 1 page a day. 24 days have passed since I've started (I read the blog first of all, that's how I've learnt the concept). Everyday a success.

My 1 push up is still growing, but I've consistently do bonus reps. My "read 1 page a day" has resulted in completing 7 books in roughly 3 weeks. My 1 minute walk outside changed into me conquering my fear of darkness which has been with me my entire life. I go out twice now for two walks, and I run back from them. Once when it's still light and once in the dark. My fear of dark has completely gone, I feel like I'm a completely different person now. I'm proud of my self. And all this from just walking outside for 1 minute.

Mini habits will teach you what you need to know to get along with your brain, and leverage the power of habits. It'll tell you how to get there step by step. Understanding is key here, because it's easy to make a blunder, like increasing your requirements when they should stay "stupid small". The book has everything you need. It'll give you the science, and help you along your first steps. Once you know what you're doing, you'll have no trouble growing on your own.

Like they say: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

This book will teach you how to fish.
77 comments| 403 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2016
141 days ago my BFF recommended that I read Mini Habits. We are both self-help book junkies, and call each other saying "Girl this book will change your life." But it never does until Mini Habits. I picked 5 mini habits: meditate for 20 minutes daily, one yoga pose per day, draw one line per day, write 50 words, swim 400 meters and read 2 pages per day. I have alway wanted to be an artist and writer. I understood that it takes practice. Now, after 141 days I have the integrity to call myself an artist, visual storyteller and writer. I've also kept up with the other mini habits too. Mini habits allow you to gradually become the person you want to be and to back your passion with everyday discipline. This book CHANGED MY LIFE. I wrote a blog post on my blog hollinscreativesolutions. Read the book, take silly, tiny steps and CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
review image
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2014
I chose 5 stars because the premise of this book gives me hope that I can change my lazy, procrastinating ways and seriously improve my life, one teeny tiny minihabit at a time!

I purchased this book on January 4, 2014 and already have three minihabits in place. The book was written in a way that made it easy to comprehend and I finished in a day or two. Now I meet my minihabit requirement every day (1 push up, 5 strokes brushing my dog, read 2 pages of a book), but I usually surpass the requirements because they're so ridiculously simple, I'm doing more without even thinking about it, BUT I DON'T HAVE TO! That's the key! The habit of "taking that required action" every day is getting established. And it gets easier and easier as my mind is being "trained" in this direction. I'm also discovering that I'm more likely to do a "non scheduled" chore by suggesting to myself that I only have to do it for one minute.. and sure enough, I'm up and at it and usually end up completing the whole thing because I didn't go into it feeling the pressure I HAD to finish. I'm excited to see my life changing right before my eyes.

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve the quality of his/her life. Great job Stephen!
33 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2016
Describing this book as life changing is not hyperbole. The idea to set extremely low goals runs counter to intuition - two pages of a classic book, meaningless; one push up; meaningless. It's not how we train for anything, in sports or in school. However, he explains how the brain works and it makes sense. The goals are too high. Effort is what matters.

This is, literally, an essential book. The affirming feeling of accomplishing minimal goals is not to be underestimated for long-term success and there are important concepts that he touches on in this book that can be riffed on in many areas of life even beyond goal accomplishment.
on February 21, 2017
Mini Habits work. Here's my proof:

For many years, I was a regular exerciser. My zeal for exercising ebbed and flowed, but I always did something on a regular basis to get my heart pumping. At my best, I walked to the gym in 25-degree weather - in shorts, because I'm not smart - and I ran several miles on the treadmill. I exercised even more when I had a gym in my apartment building. I felt great, and I never once questioned whether exercising was a worthwhile practice. It so obviously improved every facet of my life.

Then, a few years ago, I stopped. Maybe it was moving out of the building with the gym. Maybe work got busier. Maybe it was having a kid. Whatever the reason, my exercising habit dwindled and eventually disappeared outright. I could not find the time or - more importantly - the motivation to fit in a half-hour of exercise into my days.

As is true of all habits, not exercising became easier and more ingrained each day I did it. Not only was it easier physically to lay in bed rather than run on a treadmill, my brain became better and better at justifying my lack of exercise:

"I have no time - not in the morning, the afternoon, the evening, weekends, weekdays. It's too cold out. It's too cold in. My gym is too far away [my gym was a block away; I could see my apartment building from the treadmills]. I would definitely exercise at Equinox, but I can't afford to join. If I had a treadmill at home, I would run every day. I can't do exercise DVDs because it would annoy the people living below us. Exercising would take away time I could be spending with my wife and our new baby. What if my son ended up in therapy because daddy was too busy exercising to play with him? I can't risk it."

Even more insidiously, my lazy brain began implanting deeper ideas that would prevent me from exercising today, or tomorrow, or any day: "Does exercise really matter? I'm a cerebral guy - who cares what my body looks or feels like? Sure, exercise is great for Michael Phelps, but I don't need it. My life is just fine without it."

But it affected me. While I maintained a healthy weight through dieting, and I walked several miles each day as part of a normal life in New York City, I could still feel the lack of regular cardio exercise, the kind that really gets my heart pumping. I felt the lack of exercise in my chest. My body dragged. I was in lousy shape. Climbing a flight of stairs caused me to lose my breath. While singing songs to my baby son, I had to pause for breath between each verse. I even confessed to a friend that "I get winded while whistling."

In the back of my mind, I had the nagging notion that I was hurting myself by not exercising. But it was dwarfed by the impeccable, inarguable logic behind a sedentary lifestyle.

To the tiny extent that I did want to exercise, the idea of running a few miles seemed like torture. But of course, I couldn't do any less than that. I was going to exercise perfectly, or not at all.

I waited in vain for my old motivation to suddenly return, for the day when I'd wake up, realize how vital exercise was, jump out of bed, and run five miles with a smile on my face. But it never came.

A few months ago, I read Mini Habits; and everything Stephen said about willpower and motivation lined up with my own experience. He understood every dirty trick my brain had pulled to keep me from disrupting my lazy, comfortable, and deeply unhealthy equilibrium.

I decided to build the Mini Habit of exercising for 5 minutes per day. My Mini Habit would, at least initially, consist of running in place in our backyard if the weather was good, or in our laundry room if it wasn't. It felt absurd, like it would accomplish nothing, but it was an exercise commitment that flew under the radar of every excuse that my brain could come up with. My brain simply said, "Sure, whatever, Carl Lewis. Have fun with your 'exercise'. Maybe you'll qualify for the New York City Marathon over in the laundry room."

That night, I laced up my sneakers and headed to the laundry room. My brain didn't try to stop me. I huffed and puffed in place for five minutes. When my timer went off, I wheezed, "Oh, thank you, thank you" and, coursing with relief, I threw off my sneakers.

That was 85 nights ago, and I haven't missed a night of exercise since then. A few weeks ago, I felt comfortable enough to bump up my Mini Habit to ten minutes of exercise per night. A few days ago, I added 2 1/2 minutes of crunches after I run in place.

If any of this becomes too onerous, I'll shift back to five minutes per night until I'm comfortable exercising again. For now, though, it feels right; and every night of exercise makes the next night easier to accomplish, physically and mentally.

Eventually I hope to build back up to a half-hour of running, and not just running in place. But I know I'll get there; and I know that it will only happen if I continue to do something - however small - instead of nothing.

Even with only 5-10 minutes of cardio every night, I feel so much better. I breathe easier. I walk faster. I sing - and even whistle - without any detrimental effects.

Perhaps most importantly, and fully in line with the book's philosophy on exercise and willpower, exercising has slowly brought back my motivation to exercise. I'm remembering how good I feel when I'm a regular exerciser, the joy of resting, covered in sweat, after I've pushed myself to accomplish something physically difficult. I get excited picturing how my body will eventually look. I'm realizing - once again - how important regular exercise is to my physical, mental, and emotional health.

After 85 nights, I'm excited about this. Slowly, over several months, exercising has once again become a part of my identity. None of it happened magically overnight. It happened in sweaty five- and ten-minute mini-increments.

Mini Habits helped me improve a vital area of my life when nothing else worked. Thank you to Stephen for inventing such a fantastic concept. I hope that anyone who wants to make a similar change will give Mini Habits a try.
on January 21, 2016
This book has changed my life and I don't say that lightly. I have been doing Mini Habits for the past 5 months and it really works! Thanks to my two mini habits of "clean one thing" and "toss one thing", I have a clean house that is systematically being de-cluttered. I use to only have a clean house when I was expecting company. Now it is always clean. Amazing! Thank you Stephen Guise for showing me a practical, workable solution for getting my house in order.
on March 22, 2016
This is a fantastic book for anyone struggling with building self-discipline, and I can personally attest to that difficulty. The writing is clear and concise, and downright funny in some cases. Guise is one writer who can relate to this problem and testifies to his personal experience often in the text. Even the concept of mini habits is freeing, and I have made progress on my own goals even while I was still reading. I grew up with undiagnosed ADD, so I had lots of trouble forming productivity habits in college and adult life. This book goes into why habits drive our behavior (neural pathways) and this explains why I always had so much trouble "making" myself do things. It turns out that our brains are actually wired to resist change, and our willpower is a limit resource! And yes, science backs this up! I have been so much more productive since reading this because I can tell myself, ok, you only have to fold one towel, then I end up folding the entire basket of laundry. Or, I only fold one towel, but it's better than the zero towels I would have folded had I relied on my underdeveloped willpower. This is a crude example, but the point is that setting a small goal helps get you going and builds self-esteem, which most people have in short supply if they struggle with self discipline. This book also goes into why our traditional self-help in this area often fails. This book works well as a behavior modification program with one of Guise's other books, How to be an Imperfectionist, as well as Gabrielle Ottenger's Rethinking Positive Thinking (the book that uses the WOOP technique). I am so pleased with the results produced by the techniques in this particular book that I want to let everyone know not to waste their time on the conventional self-help books in the area of self discipline and productivity. Read this book if you want to see results.
on March 16, 2015
I wish I had it at 15 instead of 67! Life Changing. I've done hypnosis on the topic of Willpower. I've been frustrated with a whole load of
inertia this lifetime. In a few days and with simple systems, this genius brought to my life a better way...one that actually works.
My self-esteem has climbed to the moon, my capacity to accomplish similarly, and my simple joy in living has dramatically multiplied.
Its the best new thing I've discovered this week. The other best thing I've discovered this week is the IPhone Free App: ARGUS which is
helping me with food and fitness (and ties, for me, with the systems in this book).
Its all good.
I bow deeply to the most wonderful, clear writing Mr. Guise. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!
UPDATE: After a month, I've flossed my teeth every single day. (That was so haphazard as to be a biohazard in the past.....this system
is the only thing I've EVER found work for me consistently.) Just terrific!
on February 28, 2017
This was the only book on habits that helped me setup 2 healthy habits - I did a 1 min treadmill and 1 min breathing.
Almost all days I ended doing an average of 30 mins on treadmill and 10 rounds of breathing.
I have been able to sustain it for around 40 days.
on February 10, 2017
I have read hundreds of books on personal and professional development over the past 40 years and this easy read is a gem and among the top 5 in terms of impact. One of the strengths of the book is how well Stephen explains "why" these strategies work and how he has designed them to customize to your needs so that it is almost impossible to fail. Purchased both the Kindle e-book and the Audible version (I spend a lot of time on the road) and found they complement each other well in that the entertaining writing style of the book translates extremely well in the hands of the skilled narrator and helps me more quickly absorb the material and put it to work. Was so impressed that I quickly purchased his second book "How to Be an Imperfectionist: The New Way to Self-Acceptance, Fearless Living and Freedom from Perfectionism" and am finding that book also exceptionally well-researched, written and useful. That Audible version has the same excellent narrator. Not many books are truly life-changing, but both of these are.