Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction 2: Build a Secret Agent Arsenal
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction 2: Build a Secret Agent Arsenal by John Austen is the sequel to Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction.

If you haven't read either of them, they contain instructions to build all sorts of neat weapons that are meant for "office warfare". I've never worked in an office with that kind of office warfare but I really like both books.

I really don't recommend this at all for kids or adults who are liable to shoot the weapons at each other.

I'm a fan because of interesting projects built out of easy to find office supplies. The emphasis is firmly on safety. You are reminded to wear safety glasses and given ideas for targets to fire at instead of firing the projectiles at people.

As a firm believer that fun examples make it easier to remember basic math and science principles, these books go hand in hand in my family with discussions about things like Newton's Laws of Motion, and how they apply to projectiles. We get to build things and compete with each other for accuracy shooting at targets.

In this sequel, the guns and weapons are powered by balloons and rubber bands. They are made to look like models of real guns. Not realistic looking enough to be scary, but realistic looking enough to make most young men and women who are interested in such things happy. Most of the projects call for hot glue and craft knife use, so supervision may be necessary.

The ammo for these is creative and inexpensive. Candy, mini-marshmallows, pennies and even cotton swabs.

In this book, other than the weapons, there are also projects for spy equipment like projects that can be used safely by kids or adults. A periscope made from CDs and toothpaste box, cipher wheel are some examples, lots of ideas for concealed storage. All of it built from inexpensive components. Those projects alone make this book well worth it to me.

Everything is well illustrated with good diagrams, and while you're building, you can see the principle behind how it works. Lots of the supplies can be garnered from things you'd ordinarily throw away.

It's a hit with my whole family. My daughter likes the Concealment chapter, my son thinks the whole book is wonderful and is already planning modifications of some of the designs in it. My husband and I appreciate how clever the designs are, and how much fun we have as a family with making them and competing with them.

The last chapter is full of wonderful target ideas like a laser shark, a fake security camera, some regular paper targets and a cute octopus target made from a balloon.
My favorite projects in the book are the soup can safe, the gift card coin launcher, and the code wheel.

[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]
on March 9, 2013
This book is SOOO fabulous. It got two 13 year old boys to put down their Xbox controllers for several days on multiple occassions. My son went to the dollar store and spent his own allowance to buy supplies to make all the cool stuff in this book. Not that it's necessary, you will probably have stuff to make this at home, but he wanted to make it ALL. We have already pre-ordered the third book and are anxiously awaiting it's arrival. The first book was great, too. Although we all preferred this one over the first.
on January 7, 2016
My Son has been glued to these books, dog-earing the pages and planning for world domination. To put this in context, his favorite gifts this year were these books and the 4 rolls of patterned duct tape he received in his Christmas stocking. He is now constantly walking up to me asking "Dad, do we really NEED this wire coat hanger? Are you SURE I can't have it" My only complaint about these books is what it will do to our home office supply budget.
on December 31, 2014
Purchased this book after seeing Book 1 at a maker fair event. Some dollar store office supplies and instructions from this book have enabled my 11 yr old and his friends to make some "mini-weapons" and have a great time. They also make their own targets. (I last saw a "target pig" constructed of paper towel rolls, paper plates, and a tissue box.) I'd advise giving this to a RESPONSIBLE 11 year old (along with safety glasses) as one example of ammunition from this book series is darts made of straight pins stuck in pencil erasers. This is a great adventure and imaginative use of time for tween boys in this era of over-protective play.
on March 13, 2012
Great for 10 yrs. and up. Easy to follow instructions.you don't have to go out and buy supplies to make these fun gadgets. You will have everything you need just laying around the house. Breeds creativity. I highly recommend.
on January 15, 2013
I love the book, mostly for the pistols in it. I have a lot of extra playing cards from hosting poker at my house and they make the guns look awesome. Plus, I can use them to shoot candy at the players not paying attention. Not only does it get their attention, they get candy out of it! :D
on June 28, 2013
I bought it to use with my fourth grade in both science and social studies lessons (Middle Ages - catapults and slingshots). Students were only allowed to use the book in my presence, but they loved it and wrote down the title to ask their parents about it. My husband thought it was great and bought a copy for his friend's birthday.
on June 22, 2012
The book is fun to flip through and build out of. It also helps form ideas for other weapons. The only thing is that only about half the books good, the other half is more like a different version of a similar devise in the book.
on January 16, 2012
My daughter loved getting this book for Christmas. She read it cover to cover and now we are working together to build some of the projects. The descriptions of how to build are good and most projects can be built with minor supervision of kids.
on June 8, 2013
Bought the whole series for 15 year old son and he absolutely loves them. Of course, I am now having to replace my office supplies that he keeps stealing to build things with. Great for getting kids interested in doing something with their hands that is not electronic and hooked to a video console. Helps them think outside of the box. He has used what he learned in these books to build his own very creative inventions. Am planning on buying one of the books with some supplies for my nephews for Christmas.