Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$4.98+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 143 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on May 11, 2016
This is truly a great story with the best explanation I have ever seen about how the Cold War came to an end. Sadly, there are a lot of details that are simply wrong. It could have won a 5 star rating if not for all the blatant errors. For example in one of the last chapters it talks about an airport in Reston,VA but in the real world there is no airport there since it is only a few miles from Dulles International airport. There are also many errors describing a black military project that make it clear the author is just making guesses rather than delivering facts.

I would still recommend this book to anyone with the caveat that the details should be taken as random fantasy rather than historical fiction.
on November 11, 2016
I have really enjoyed this book. It has been awhile since I've read one of Coont's books and I was honored to take a thrilling ride alongside his characters. I finished this book on this year's Veterans Day and it helped me reflect on my past service experiences and I am grateful to our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coast Guard & National Guardsmen of all branches. THANK YOU for your service, honor, loyalty and courage to protect this country. May our fallen brothers & sisters look down from above with pride in their hearts for all those who have followed their call to serve this great country.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 11, 2012
Stephen Coonts is on my favourite author list and when I got my first Kindle I quickly found that this was the only book in the Jake Grafton series that I had missed.

This is a direct follow-up from the end of "Final Flight" where fighter pilot Captain Jake Grafton deliberately rammed another plane to prevent nuclear Armageddon. After many months Grafton has recovered from his terrible wounds but is still facing up to his mental wounds. His wife Callie despairs that she will ever see the old confident Jake back again.

One day Jake is invited by the Pentagon to take an office job - something of an anathema when he really wants to go back into action. But he soon finds that his new super-top secret job of evaluating advanced stealth fighters and combating espionage is as challenging as being in action.

Grafton's navigator, Toad Tarrington, was not as seriously injured (only one rod in his leg) and is fit for active service. When he hears that Grafton is headed for the Pentagon he decides to follow him and join Grafton's team. There he meets his match with Rita Moravia, a top-gun female pilot who quickly decides that Toad will become the love of her life, and Toad quickly agrees. Toad and Rita feature in several later Jack Grafton books.

A lot of this book focuses on aeroplanes and flying and is very militarily detailed so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. But it does provide an interesting bridge between Grafton the pilot and Grafton the Admiral and intelligence operative in later books.
on October 14, 2013
Minotaur is a very well-crafted novel along the Washington DC capital insider quests. Stephen Coonts does his best to inform, entertain, and keep the reader lingering for more. An extremely difficult and complex topic like add hardware to the Defense Department amid all the political nuances of elected official want a piece of the action for their districts, I found it very real from the experience I have of serving with multiple Sec Defenses and Presidents. If the reader disregards some of the finer details and stays with the central story, then they will be entertained. In some areas the flow is erratic however; the complexity of the technology may have deemed this a technique for the selling of the story. The A-12 aircraft depicted in this Novel was real and did belong to the Navy; cancelled by Dick Cheney by the way. Enjoy it for what it is, a good aviation story. Now for my next Coonts novel...

on August 19, 2012
This is not a great read. It is a well crafted product, but much of the story itself is just mediocre. 5 stars for the writing and 3 for the story averages out to 4 stars.

I got it for $1.99 as a Kindle Daily deal, so I don't feel cheated. I probably would have felt at least a little cheated if I had paid full price.

Its a long book that delves at length into both the Pentagon procurement process that is of course inevitably tied up with politics, and high technology being a force multiplier for the US. Most of this was believable, even if 30+ years later some of the technology discussed (e.g. - active cancellation) still has not come to fruition.

It might well have been a better book if it had just skipped the silly espionage stuff. None of that was believable to me. It was just too convoluted, especially as the book progressed.

I bought it mainly because I remember how much I enjoyed reading Flight of the Intruder, the first book in the Jake Grafton series. This book was fun to read, but not even close to being in the category of a really great book like Flight of the Intruder.
on December 24, 2012
I got this book through a Kindle daily deal. Although I'm not an avid fan of the long running Jake Grafton series, I'd enjoyed the couple I'd read and figured the price was right.

Reading this 25 years after the original publication makes it feel more like an historical novel. Stealth technology is new and exotic. Spies stealing documents copy them onto 5.25" floppy disks. Not even the first Gulf War has occurred yet. It's all a little nostalgic. However, the age of the book isn't what made it a chore to finish. It was a plot primarily centered around the political mechanics of new weapon acquisition (in this case a navy stealth fighter). Coonts is a good writer and the portions with some action and suspense were very good, but weapon acquisition is a boring process no matter how adroit the author might be. The book would have been too long even with a more interesting storyline, so I consider finishing it an accomplishment.
on October 28, 2016
Having read most of the Jake Grafton series, this one had been skipped. I purchased it and listened to it when it arrived and it immediately felt like an old friend. Stephen Coonts does a wonderful job researching his plots and references and calls upon his own experiences to produce believable plots and uses his skill as a writer to keep the listener involved. Highly recommended.
on January 31, 2017
Because the narrative has four or more storylines, it moves exceedingly slowly. Can put the casual reader to sleep. Basically this is a tossup between bad guys (Russian spies) and good guys (extremely competent and heroic naval aviators and inventors). Probably won't end soon enough for most readers.
on October 25, 2016
Top quality techno thrilller. He points out how corrupt politicized military procurement was at the time of writing. Twenty years later and the system is even worse.....thanks to congress and an incompetent, feckless president. It is not true that things never change....in this case they get worse.
on March 10, 2014
His books are always the "Catching Kind". You caught it and cannot put it down. Paragraph after paragraph, page after page, you simply cannot stop. Alright I admit it, I read then again and again. I purchase a book and then pass it on to a friend. They get hooked and pass it on. I gave up and now tell people about them or beg a promise to return my books. I now have a complete collection and look forward to his next new book.