Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 8, 2017
This review is for the excellent "Miracle on 34th Street" Two-Disc-Special-Edition, which includes the following:
--Disc 1: Full Frame Feature: Black and White Version
--Disc 2: Full Frame Feature: Colorized Version
--Commentary by Maureen O'Hara
--The 1955 The 20th Century Fox Hour of Stars TV remake
--"AMC Backstory: Miracle on 34th Street" featurette
--"Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Floating in History" featurette
--Movietone News: Hollywood Spotlight
--Promotional short

The colorized version is very well done and adds sharpness and pleasure to the images. It is highly recommended! The B&W version is always there for those who prefer it.

This movie's screenplay and direction was by George Seaton who also did Teacher's Pet, Airport (the 1970 original from the novel), and many other classics. George Seaton had a gift for economy and clarity in scriptwriting and directing... there isn't one unneeded word or shot in the entire movie. When you watch other George Seaton movies, you can see the same scriptwriting and directing techniques and they are a pleasure to behold.

Heads up if you purchase the Two-Disc Special Edition: It appears that someone sometimes splits the "Disc One" and "Disc Two" slim-cases apart that come together in the box, selling them separately. If you receive only a single disc, but it is marked "Disc One" or "Disc Two," contact the seller (as we had to do).

All in all, we highly recommend this movie and the colorized version and extra features in the Two Disc Special Edition. It is definitely the best value and contains the most material about this wonderful movie.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2015
Oh, my! This is such a very good movie, that even my Mother, who barely tolerates my classic movie habit, sat down and watched this with me, completely engrossed in the story the entire time. This is truly Hollywood at some of its best. What is neat about this edition is that it includes both the black and white version and the colorized version. Maureen O'Hara stars in it as the disillusioned hard working Mother who forbids her daughter from being told about fairy tales and other such nonsense. Her acting in this role is so natural and so good, that you even forget she's acting. It just feels so normal. And then the gentleman portraying Santa Claus, well, he does a splendid job. One actually feels like he's the real thing, all throughout the film. And the little girl who is Natalie Wood, already displays great acting skills. The plot of the movie is flat out good. And the writing exceptional. This is one movie that I recommend to the whole world, both young and old and in-between! It is simply fantastic.
on March 7, 2017
A heart warming story about a kindly old man from the mental care facility that spreads Christmas Joy and happiness to everyone at the big Department Store that employs him. His mentor is a hero Lawyer that defends him and although his love interest doubts him, her daughter comes to believe in him and in the end he wins them over in an epic Court Room scene where the USPS comes to his defense with tons of mail addressed to him. A dream of the little girl who is non other than Natalie
Wood is finally realized in the end that will give you a happy glow.
on March 13, 2017
I liked the movie and feel it holds it's own when it comes to a remake. I only bought this movie because of the price and I wanted to add it to my digital collection. Problem is the so called digital copy is nothing more then a copy on a disc which you have to "copy" to you computer and it doesn't come with a UV digital copy which pretty much makes this disc completely useless! Only the second time I've ever come across this outdated technology and the first time was a good couple of years ago. Wish Amazon would get better at listed what digital version it is and if the disc's actually have a digital copy with them. I just seem better of going to that "other" store to get the instawatch version that comes with them.
on December 11, 2012
I was only 4 years old when this film came out, and so if my folks took me to see it, I do not remember! However, in the following years it became a popular film to show at Christmas time, and it richly deserves all the adulation it gets. I can just see the parents at the beginning of the film thinking: "Uh oh. This is going to be a problem." You don't want to lie to your children, but you have to give them something to look forward to, and what better person than a jovial Grandfather figure who hands out gifts of encouragement. I remember a black period in my younger days when being naughty was NOT a good thing at all! You don't get rewarded for naughtiness! As with so many other things, it is the parents responsibility to instuct children in the ways of proper behavior, especially right from wrong. I do not think that Santa Claus is kept a secret for very long, and it is not too traumatic a thing to let the truth be known — eventually.
The film is so well cast and produced your worries over what the kids will think soon disappear. John Payne always seemed to be overlooked as a versatile actor, but this was one of his shining moments. Maureen O'Hara could always light up a film with her beauty and diction. As for child actors, Natalie Wood shows a remarkable grasp of what is demanded of her, and delivers a very convincing performance. Of course, none of this matters without Edmund Gwen — IMHO the best Santa ever! Throughout all difficulties of having to simply say, "I am who I am", he convinces us that a straightforward approach is always best. His simple belief in himself carries over to those he contacts and enriches all their lives — save for the professed psychiatrist! And as he says, Christmas is not just a time of the year, but a year-round attitude! If everyone thought that way, we wouldn't get ourselves in some of the predictaments that we do!

"Does Macy tell Gimbel's?" is something you always heard growing up in New York. So it must have come as quite a shock to theater-goers to see them shaking hands and exchanging customers! (I confess to having done the very same thing every where I worked in my life. Wonder where I got the idea from...?) So many films today try to be clever and fail because they do not have the simple characteristics of films like this. First of all, a great storyline/screenplay; terrific actors, wonderful direction and a production that sets it apart from films NOT shot like this one — lots of live stuff and letting people react naturally. Could this be done today? Maybe not. I think it would require some very special, dedicated people and circumstances to carry it off!
As for the film that came after this, the re-make starring Mr. Attenborough is certainly very good, but it does not quite have the appeal of the original — at least not to me. Re-making a film decades later puts the producers and director in a quandry. It is ever so hard to re-create the mood/atmosphere/appearance — whatever you wish to call it — that it is best to just go for a complete updating of the story. For this reason so many classics remain just that — Classic film-making of a story in a certain time. Consider "The Bishop's Wife", for comparison. The remake does not try to be anything more than a facsimile, and in that it succeeds!

Getting back to the DVD Special Edition of "Miracle on 34th Street", the package is just right. We get a competant colorized version (done in the hues that I feel best reflect the 1940's era) and the original Black & White... We can choose which we wish to see. I found the colorized version very compelling because of its lack of brilliance or color saturation. I also own what I consider the best "colorized film" I have yet to see — "The Mark of Zorro" . (also purchased through Amazon!) The drama of black & white seems best for some films of that day. (Once again: "The Bishop's Wife", "Casablanca"...)
As for extras, what more could be asked for than the wonderful Maureen O'Hara giving us a look behind the scenes! The price being offered by Amazon is a small Christmas Miracle in itself. And if you order things frequently enough (like I do) then "Prime" makes it even better. It's hard to convey the 1940's into todays lifestyles and attitudes, but this film should make it easier for Gran dpa and Grandma to explain to the Grandchildren! Do yourself a favor and get this edition for Christmas this year! It's lost none of appeal to me over the last 65 years, and I think you might like it as well, given the way the story delivers its message.
Hope you and yours enjoy the Happiest of Christmases and a Great New Year!
on February 22, 2017
After years of not seeing this movie, I added it to my video collection and also gifted it relatives. It is a charming heart warming tale about a pleasant and gentle older gentleman in New York that honestly believes that he is Santa Clause and is hired by Macy's and proceeds to do many charitable and kind works, but he runs afoul of the establishment psychiatrist that wants him institutionalized in a mental facility. A great court room scene ensues towards the end with the USPS coming to his rescue with bag after bag of mail to "Santa". In the end, his handsome and dashing young lawyer mentor and the daughter of the mentor's love interest get their dreams fulfilled with a hint that it was due to this man.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2018
This ranks as one of my all-time favorite Christmas movies. I watch it every year. Last time, I started noticing some slight blurring as I've gotten used to blu ray movies. So I had to upgrade.

The transfer is excellent. Like other older movies, the switch to blu ray will appear slightly grainier than a dvd because it is sharper. I've watched both and the blu ray is much better.

I like the B&W version and that is what comes on this disc. If you want colorized, look elsewhere.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 25, 2017
Got it in October but just watching it now, audio doesn't match up with the actors speaking. Just enough to drive you nuts while you watch it. Picture is beautiful but audio is off. Not happy they won't allow me to return it (return window expired the same time I got it) to get one that I can actually watch with the sound matching up with the actors.
on January 6, 2017
I remember seeing this for the first time so long ago. It really is a great movie for the Christmas holidays. I have the modern version, which I haven't yet watched, but based on clips I'd seen online, it appears to hew close to the original version. This earlier version also contains a colorized version, of which I have to admit being a bit skeptical. However, even though it obviously can't be as good as one filmed in color, it still is quite good.
on December 30, 2016
A Christmas classic. This short little movie can reignite that spark of Christmas faith in just about anybody. Oddly the cover is in color. However, this movie is in black and white. I'm not sure why they colored the cover. Regardless it's a great movie.