Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on November 14, 2012
I bought this to replace an unabridged book I used to own but ended up missing somewhere during my life. I bought it so that my pre-teen kids can read it after they developed an interest in the muscial stage version of "Les Mis" and I wanted the older one (8th Grader) to read the book before the movie comes out this Christmas. I've read the unabridged version years ago and found it quite verbose with Victor Hugo's dissertations on historical aspects of the plot (like Waterloo) and I didn't want my kids to become bored, so I wanted a condensed version that stuck more to the plot while retaining the sociopolitical message Hugo was trying to deliver. Even so, my 8th grader struggled to finish this version, but it was due to retention of some of those political rants, not reading difficulty (after skimming random parts of the book, I think it's still appropriate for advanced middle schoolers). I still recommend this version for both school reading or for recreational reading.
on January 1, 2015
Hugo is a literary genius whose novel transcends time. His universal themes help to bridge the gap between the era of the French Revolution and modern society. As a high school teacher, I find it was to develop meaningful activities that are applicable to today's teenagers. This is truly a beautiful novel, fraught with memorable characters and life lessons.
on September 14, 2013
My wife made me sit through the movie. Russell Crowe deserved to throw himself to his death after that! My interest was piqued, however, and I bought the book. A true classic in literature. I enjoyed every one of the 630 pages. I underlined, made notes in the blank pages in back for future reference, and thoroughly enjoyed this great work. Big mistake to try to make it a movie; except the cinematography was fantastic.
on June 16, 2013
My 13 year old saw Les Mis and liked it so much that she wanted to read the book. This was surprising because she is not one who picks up a book on her own. She carries this one with us on long rides or where she has to wait, like the dentist. She will talk with me after a chapter or two, comparing the book to the movie, or asking questions about something she doesn't understand. I am quite thankful for this "Enriched" addition
on July 15, 2013
Loved this book. It came brand new, no marks or damage to any part of the book. It's also pocket sized which is perfect if you're on the go and want to drop it in a bag and bring it along. Highly recommend reading. (Please note, this is not the full edition. The full edition of this novel is in six volumes. This is the ABRIDGED version.)
on November 11, 2016
Bought this for my granddaughter who will be in the musical in her school. Read this long ago.
on June 17, 2016
A classic, I love the Hugh Jackman musical and wanted to re-read the book. A very good read with timeless moral questions.
on February 20, 2013
Daughter got about half way through and found major binding problems, sections missing and bound in wrong order. Ended up purchasing another book elsewhere since she annoted the first up to the binding issue and needed those notes. More of a quality control issue than a topic issue but frustrating regardless.
on April 1, 2013
Victor Hugo is revered as an author for a good reason. I am reading this with my teenage daughter, and find wonderful literary skill flying out at me from every page. Read after seeing the movie. The movie is fine, but you can't cram all that descriptive and emotive detail into a three hour film.
on July 9, 2016
I couldn't put this book down. The characters are deep. This book poignantly written.