Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 968 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,104 reviews
on October 11, 2016
Best mystery series from Australia! Miss Fisher is an awesome character that brings the roaring 20s and 30s alive with a twist of glamor and independence. Wonderful acting and I love the time era, costumes and the scripts are wonderful. Very enjoyable series. Each episode is unique and brings Miss Fishers charter alive as a female detective. Supporting characters are just as wonderful too. I also love the backdrop of Australia. I purchased this season 1 and I am very pleased, hours of entertainment and the fashion is wonderful to see evolving in each episode. A great investment to your Amazon Library.
on May 4, 2014
In Australia, in the 1920s, the Honorable Phryne Fisher is a brilliant, fearless, female private detective who is a woman's libber far ahead of her time. To Detective Inspector Jack Robinson, she's a pain in the butt but he can't do without her because she has an uncanny ability to put seemingly unrelated occurrences together and catch the bad guys - and you just know he's in love with her. I had read a couple of the books and was thrilled to see the stories on TV and even more thrilled to find they were available on DVD. The screenwriter(s) have brought Miss Fisher and the rest of the cast to life and the episodes are a joy to watch, with the perfect mix of mystery and humor. I have already pre-ordered the next set and am anxiously awaiting their arrival not only beause the stories are absolutely delightful but because I want to find out for sure if the secret that has haunted her most of her life really has been resolved as it seems to have been in the last episode in this set.
I have long been a fan of Kerry Greenwood's fictional detective Phryne Fisher so I greeted the news that her most famous creation was going to be the subject of a television series with equal amounts of anticipation and trepidation. Those feelings were heightened when I also learned that Essie Davis was going to star in the series. The reason: While Ms. Davis is still one of the world's most beautiful women, she is a tad bit older than the vivacious Phryne, a woman who carries a gold-plated revolver, can tango with the best of them and is prone to late nights in unusual circumstances.
I needn't have worried. Essie Davis is marvelous as the detective who was inadvertently named - by her drunken father - after a famous Greek courtesan. She brings just the right amount of smoldering looks, sassy retorts and intelligence to the role of the no-holds-barred private detective who went from poverty stricken child to wealthy woman when several rich relatives were killed in the "War To End All Wars." Dashing through life in the Twenties, Phryne is an unusual heroine: She not only uses her keen brain to solve crimes, she also dallies with assorted "unsuitable" men and takes the time to right a few wrongs along the way. It's this combination of beauty, brains and her unswerving desire to "do the right thing" even if that means bending the rules (or occasionally breaking an unjust law) that makes her adventures so much fun to read. The producers have taken some liberties with Ms. Greenwood's formidable Miss Fisher and her supporting cast of characters but I don't believe that detracts overmuch from this delightful series. Like Phryne herself, the series is stylish and sassy and watching Essie Davis do justice to one of the great private detectives in crime fiction is a great way to spend a few hours.
on May 4, 2013
I am a devoted fan of the Phryne Fisher books , so it was impossible to pass this series up. There are many things I admire about how they brought these stories to film - Casting was really done well, from Miss Fisher and Dot Williams who are almost letter perfect to Bert and Cec, Jane, Mr. Butler and Lin Chung. The overall ambience of the 20s and the sets are wonderful.The stories are well directed, they move along well and keep you caught up in the mysteries. Yes, they have taken liberties with the stories and Miss Fisher's back story and troupe, some of which are understandable to me, some of which aren't. (why kill off Mrs. Butler? Who cooks for goodness sake?) The addition of a tragic mystery around Phryne's sister was unnecessary.But what happened to Miss Fisher's divine wardrobe? ?? That is probably the most jarring departure, Phryne wearing (and most shockingly of all REwearing) somewhat ordinary pants and suits is just tragic. I also have to quibble about the interior design of Phryne's house - not at all up to the standard one expects from the book.
on March 7, 2016
I just discovered MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES Bluray and I'm hooked. I've never heard of or read any of the Phryne (Fry-Knee) Fisher books by Kerry Greenwood before watching, but I would see the cover of the bluray set in an Acorn TV catalog.

After reading the reviews, I decided to give the series a try and I LOVE it!

The show takes place during the twenties in Australia and the title character is Phryne Fisher (Essie Davis). She's a modern woman (flapper) who has a zest for life, men, and solving mysteries. She has money and can afford the finer things in life. I don't think she was born into money though because in later seasons Phryne is able to hang in the poorest of slums and knows her way around picking a lock and holding her liquor. There's also hints that she's had a tough past but it's never really clear. She does have a rich relative, Aunt Prudence (Miriam Margolyes), so maybe that's where she gets her money. In any case, Phryne is classy and sassy, and she's pretty much at home no matter where she is or what she is doing.

Anyway, this first season has many episodes titled after the books, but since I haven't read any I can't say if the plots are similar or not. In the first episode, Cocaine Blues, you get to meet the other regular characters that will be part of "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" like Dorothy "Dot" Williams (Ashleigh Cummings), Inspector Jack Robinson (Nathan Page), Office Hugh Collins (Hugo Johnstone-Burt), Bert & Cec (Travis McMahon & Anthony Sharpe), and Dr. Mac (Tammy Macintosh).

The costumes and locations are stunning and the story lines are clever, dealing with racism, sexism, and homophobia, all of which was acceptable back in the day. If you enjoy watching mysteries like Agatha Christie's Poirot: Complete Cases Collection [Blu-ray], Agatha Christie's Marple: Geraldine McEwan Collection, or MURDOCH MYSTERIES COLLECTION: SEASONS 1-4 (BLU-RAY), you'll love MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES.

This set also has a bunch of extras including a behind the scenes look at MFMM, meet the creators, set tour, cast interviews and more.

So far there are three seasons of MFMM and I hope they continue with the series.
on March 1, 2016
The Miss Fisher Mysteries series is entertaining and generally well acted. Miss Fisher operates as sort of a female combination of Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, and James Bond. Like Holmes she is portrayed as a very careful observer whose skills and thoroughness outshine those of the police, and there is a hint that the police simply are not very good. Like Wimsey she lives the life of a wealthy aristocrat, and bosses her servants like one, but simultaneously tries to treat them in a benevolent fashion and to some extent promotes a social egalitarianism that never quite catches on. Like Bond she seems fearless and oversexed. I am not sure what age Miss Fisher is supposed to be, but she is portrayed by an actress in her forties, and in spite of good makeup, she doesn't quite come across as someone in her twenties or thirties. Instead she seems like a randy cougar always on the lookout for attractive young male flesh to indulge her active carnal urges. Her character promotes of lifestyle of cost-free promiscuity with the purpose of physical gratification, obtaining useful information for her investigations, or both. Although set in the post WW I era, at least implicitly, the lead character and her adventures actively promote a world view or philosophy of life which is generally embraced by much of the 21st century wealthy, privileged, secular social elite who populate large swaths of elite universities, national media and sites of political power in Western countries. This involves a benevolent-sounding social justice overtone, perhaps a nominal embrace of socialistic economic policies, sexual libertinism, a denigration of traditional social/family values, denigration of religious values, and an arrogant assumption that the unwashed masses need them, the elites, to think for the said masses and organize society for them. Nevertheless it is possible to avoid either applauding or booing the social values messages depending on your own world view and simply enjoy an entertaining, although probably not quite realistic, piece of theater.
on February 12, 2015
LOVE, love, LOVE this series! Thanks again, American PBS, for bringing great international content to my attention. While I love mystery series I didn't recognize this title in the Guide so hadn't bothered DVR-ing it on Saturday nights (usually out). Neither the title nor the blurb about a 1920s detective fired my imagination.... Mistake! It was mid-season before I caught on and started watching "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".
I ordered the full series BluRay as soon as it came out so I could go back for the full story. The best of the casts' chemistry takes a while to pick up, but the early eps were even better than I expected. AND I was super-psyched there are so MANY episodes! Yay, Aussies! [So many great British series are so short (okay, that's likely a major factor in their quality)]. Side note - I am obsessed with the wardrobes; I had no idea I cared at ALL about 1920s fashion! But I would faint for anything they throw on Miss Fisher. She effortlessly coordinates with every lush setting...sigh. HAD to go BluRay for that alone.
Speaking of, BluRay quality is excellent and the extra features on the last disc were a lot of fun. Kudos to the TV series' production team and to the author. And to PBS and Acorn and Amazon.... Smiles all around, with only a slight smirk, some sass and possibly an un-loaded weapon hidden somewhere on my person.
SPOILER-ish: If you watch the author's Extra segment, you may find it humorous how very MANY things on set are "perfect." Just try counting the number of "perfect" things; I dare you.
on January 3, 2017
These are cool one-hour detective stories based in 1930's Australia. It's a nice change from modern US / British procedurals, more in the Agatha Christie style. The protagonist is an interesting strong-minded feminist with a history and a penchant for adopting lost-causes. The writing and sets in 1930's Australia are fantastic. Davis does a wonderful job giving an historical character a vibrancy that makes you forget the setting is 90 years old. The plots are somewhat predictable, for those of us who watch such detective shows, but the characters and settings make it worthwhile.
on May 15, 2014
We purchased "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries 1" on a lark, this being our first exposure to a mystery from "down under." As I watched the first of the video's, I felt as if I were trying on a new pair of shoes. It was difficult to understand the voices, as the accents were different, but then, just as a new pair of shoes becomes the most comfortable in the closet, the voices became familiar, the accents discernible, and the plot understandable. THEN, something both sublime and fantastic happened. I became aware of the music being played in the background. Not "exactly" Jazzy, but considering that the series takes place early in the 20th century, it WAS Jazzy. (An admission of guilt)... At the end of a video, I normally go to "fast forward" to get to the next selection. I found myself ignoring the "fast forward" button on the remote with this series because some of the BEST music I've heard recently was being played during the credits. I finally ended up slowing things down to see if I could find the name of the music, and then researched that on YouTube. Now, while I IMPATIENTLY await for "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Season 2" to arrive, I can at least get my music fix from YouTube. If you're interested in terrific plot development (with developing romances on several fronts as well), you should not miss Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and you should know that Miss Fisher does know how to use that little pistol in her hand!!
on May 24, 2014
Miss Fisher has got to be the most entertaining, intriguing and wonderful new mystery series I have seen in a very long time! Hats off to the Australians!! I am totally hooked on Miss Fisher and I have bought series 1 for all of my mystery fan buddies and even my mom! They have all loved the stories and of course Essie Davis as Miss Fisher is elegance and style personified! Anyone who loves mysteries, great jazz and art deco will fall madly in love with Miss Fisher!!! You simply have to see this! Oh, and by the way, the second series has just become available! Yay!!!