Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 6,095 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,303 reviews
on October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2016
Very quick read. Interesting book that kept me intrigued from start to finish and I don't usually read these fantasy type books. Now that they are making this book into a movie, I would highly recommend that you read the book first. The movie doesn't appear to be following the book very much at all and I would hate to see someone disappointed in what they think is the book portrayed on the screen.

I am a longtime member of Amazon and myself rely heavily on reviews provided by others when making a decision as to whether or not to purchase an item--whether that purchase be one that I am making through Amazon or another source (such as a local store); therefore, I am very aware of the value of user feedback and do my best to assist others in making a quality decision by providing quality feedback.

Was this review helpful to you? If so, I would very much appreciate it if you would rate this review accordingly. Many thanks!
on May 31, 2016
I starting reading this to the kids (12, 10 and 7) and really it's not for kids. Alcohol, drug references, violence and profanity. I would say it would be an interesting read for young adult or older people. I ended up not reading it to them after the first few chapters. That's probably my fault for assuming it was appropriate for kids because of the title.
22 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2013
After reading the novel I was just so curious about the graphic novel version that I had to buy it which was interesting for all of about 5 mins. The artwork and detail are impressive but the novel conveys the story much better as well as infusing the story with the sinister quality that just makes it so fun!
on September 26, 2016
I liked the idea of the book and I liked the characters. I liked the grandfather part of the story and how he left a link for his grandson, also a peculiar without knowing it, so he could find the "loop" where the group was still hidden. I did NOT like finding out that, despite Miss Peregrine on the cover of the book, this is yet another book about a teenage boy facing and having to deal with ultimate evil. BORING!!!! How many times does this have to be done? (And, I might add, not nearly as well done as Harry Potter.) I also didn't like that there was no indication that this was a first book in a series, which made the ending less than acceptable. Frankly, in order to lead readers to the next book, the end was pretty lame. Not even a cliff-hanger. So if you like newly created fantasy fiction worlds, you will probably like this one, but don't expect trumpets, angels and fireworks or even a good ending.
on March 3, 2016
While the beginning and ending of this book was somewhat interesting, the body of the book seemed to morph into a confusing slapstick of characters. I really had to force my way through in order to finish this book.
on October 17, 2016
This YA book was not what I was expecting! At least not when it started. I’d seen it on shelves for years, but I think I was expecting a haunted orphanage, third-person sort of fairy tale. When I began reading, I wasn’t prepared for as lovably flawed of a narrator as Jacob Portman, a wealthy Florida teenager who’s trying to get fired from his job. The writing was excellent and the book was, to steal a word from author Aimee Easterling, unputdownable. I was addicted to the story about the strange photographs of creepy children Jake’s grandfather kept, and how Jake witnesses his grandpa’s grisly and mysterious death, and especially his therapy sessions with Dr. Golan, after which Jake and his dad agree to visit the Welsh island of Cairnholm where Jake’s grandfather had once lived as a WWII child refugee.

Riggs’s writing is some of the best I’ve read. The book is enhanced by dozens of strange photographs procured by the author, which help the story unfold and come to life. In the second act, things take a turn for the wackier when Jake discovers a time loop in a cairn and is transported back to September 3, 1940. There, he meets Miss Peregrine -a Minerva McGonagall type of headmistress – and the same peculiar children, all with superhuman powers, from his grandpa’s photographs. This includes the feisty Emma, who was once his grandpa’s sweetheart, but who now has eyes for Jake. The witty dialogue, old-fashioned figures of speech, and U.K. slang really stood out among the new cast of characters, to the point where I felt I could really hear the kids speaking in their accents, each in his or her own unique voice.

I was fairly obsessed with the majority of the novel, until I came to the third act, and it began to play out more like an average YA fantasy novel. I had been more intrigued when Jake was straddling his real, present world and the time-loop world; but once we plunged into the full-fledged peculiarverse, I was ready for a resolution. I don’t plan on finishing this series soon, but I can see why this book is so acclaimed. Ransom Riggs writes with phenomenal skill!
on December 9, 2015
I am a huge fan of fantasy and all it's subgenres - HOWEVER, I can't believe the hype about this book! The photographs look cool and they had a great marketer, which is why I think this took off. The story though is silly, and loosely put together. Nonsensical - which feels unbelievable and pointless. The story feels EXACTLY as though it were contrived around a collection of photographs that had to fit the characters - which is I'm sure how it was written. Very contrived feeling, overall. I never felt compelled to read the sequels, and that's saying something.
on September 22, 2016
I ordered this book after seeing the trailer for the movie. I definitely wanted to read the book before watching the movie, and I'd seen this almost every time I went into the bookstore so I decided to give it a try. Honestly, I didn't buy it earlier because the picture scared me off (haha). I thought it was a horror book. But after finding out a little of the plot I went for it since it had all the fantasy elements I liked. At first I was a little intrigued by the writing style since it seemed very journalistic. It had the analytical pensiveness that had me relating to and remembering my own journals. However, I found that I was forcing myself to keep reading. I wanted to stop reading many times, not because the writing style was horrible, but that the plot was so slow. It took about 150 pages before the plot actually kicked off, but because the introduction was so long I wasn't satisfied when it did. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting, but if it was 100 pages shorter I might have enjoyed it more.
on December 5, 2016
While I enjoyed his writing for a while, I found the plot to be rather slow-going and the narration to actually take too long to get to the point. I think its about halfway through the book the main character learns what we all knew all along, which is such a sad and unfortunate way to write that it makes the rest of the novel drag on. Instead, he should have refocused the story around learning more about the peculiar children, giving more depth to their world, and really creating the villain we hear about but don't come to know until about the last half or so of book.

It's not that this is a bad book, it's just not a very straight forward one and the way he writes doesn't make up for this.