Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,226 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,486 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2016
I really wanted to like these books (I ordered all three) but the characters just really didn't stand out to me. After the first book, I found I didn't want to keep reading and that's very atypical - I usually get enough out of a book to keep going. It also seemed to end kind of like the end of a chapter rather than a book, so I'm wondering if the series was initially meant to be just one book and like movies these days, they tried to split the story up just to get more money. Not to be too discouraging as obviously many people are liking these. I did have two other avid fantasy reading friends say they had the same experience I did and never made it past the first one. Ah well. I gave them to my library.
on July 17, 2017
I purchased this book on a whim, since it was on sale and had the promise of being peculiar. While the book begins with a decent start, it quickly forgets about conventional writing norms such as structure and premise, eschewing them for doing whatever the author feels like to tell his story. Some authors may be able to pull that off, but here it doesn't work.

Why?

There isn't a whiff of Miss Peregrine or her home for nearly half the book. The story itself is too obvious to hold the novel together for that long. Instead of being the promising start of a series, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children reads like a novel that was stretched too thin in order to fit into the beloved "trilogy" format smothering the YA market. So, despite having some decent characters and novel concepts, the unconventional structure torpedoes any real interest I had in seeing the series through.
on May 8, 2017
Having first seen the movie, I wasn't sure what to expect when reading the book, however I was more than pleasantly surprised with the character development and the ability of Mr. Riggs to tell a story that could enchant a 55-year-old reader. I found it difficult to put the book down even though I had a fair idea of what was going to happen next. Credit the writing style of Mr. Riggs and his creative characters for their ability to capture the peculiar in all of us.
on September 25, 2016
I actually considered this an example of "yes, we get it-you were paying attention in lit class. You know how to vary descriptive adjectives and be wordy...." The bottom line is, it's rather tedious and too wordy. I found myself skipping a lot and skimming about halfway in, without really missing anything. It's a great concept, it really is. However, I agree with the reviewer who said that someone really needs to tell these young adult fiction authors that not every book needs to be written to create a series. I'm hungry for a well-written book that can stand alone.
on July 18, 2017
Although it's not numbered, this is the first book of the series. If you plan on reading the rest make sure to pay attention to the order of the books listed inside so you don't spoil anything for yourself.

Personally, I didn't like this book too much. The beginning got me so hooked but obviously ended with future books in mind. I wasn't a fan of the mass of characters introduced near the end nor did I like the blank personalities they gave some of the children. It seemed that their peculiar-ness was their personalities. I don't plan on reading the rest of the series because of that fact.

That being said I can't bash the book at all! I think it was written clearly and I think a younger audience may like it a lot. It just wasn't for me.
on August 18, 2016
First off I must say the vintage pictures were the icing on the cake! Each time one appeared after reading the descript was like giving a burst of light to the story already in my head.
This book kept a very strong hold on my mind from the very first page straight through and past the last! I usually don't continue to read past the story. The acknowledgements and etc. don't usually interest me but I read all the way to the sample of the second book which I will definitely be reading next so no need for the preview I'm already sold!
The writing is amazing. Perfectly descriptive. Captivating story line for those of us that love the different dystopian novel! I 100% recommend for any age of a book lover of the peculiar type!
on October 16, 2016
This whole book is riddled with one soecific kind of typo -- words mushed together without spaces, and sometimes without necessary punctuation. We're talking 3-4 typos PER PAGE!!! I realize there's probably some kind of software that scans and converts books lickety split into Kindle format, but doesn't anyone proof read them afterward???

I am so distracted by the typos that it's affecting my enjoyment of the story, and I think it's utterly inexcusable when the Kindle edition costs more than $4.00 more than the paperback. Amazon should be ashamed and refund anyone who shelled out money for the Kindle version. It's garbage.
on August 4, 2014
Story: 4.5 stars -- A unique and enjoyable story that crossed genres. Great for those who, like me, aren't usually into spine-tinglers but couldn't look away from the photo on the front cover. The narrative was engrossing, perhaps a little heavy on the foreshadowing, but I suppose that's necessary in a suspenseful story. There were still plenty of surprises along the way that made me think, "Why didn't I see that coming?"
Voice: 5 stars -- The main character Jacob is realistic and likeable. Though he is fifteen, this is not a young adult book, as evidenced by the wit and literary ability of the author.
Media: 5 stars -- The story was inspired by a bunch of "found" vintage photos the author collected over time. A few are out-and-out creepy, but other are just vaguely disturbing and make you wonder why anybody would take them. Can't wait to see the photos in the sequel.

Read this if: you're an Alfred Hitchcock fan, if you like excellent writing, if you want a fairly fast-paced book that will engage your brain cells without wearing them out.
Avoid this if: you don't like fiction with elements of the supernatural.
on April 1, 2017
Set in modern day, a young man loses his grandfather and sets out on an adventure of understanding. He traipses through the unknown to connect with his grandfather and finds himself in the process. He travels through a time loop, meets peculiar children of all ages with unique and diverse abilities or features. He is hunted and sought after by the same creatures that killed his grandfather and unbeknownst to him leads them right to his new friends. What ensues after that is even more creative and full of adventure.

This is one of the most unique and well-written books I’ve read in a long time. It is well worth the money spent to be sucked into this magical story filled with wonderful characters full of warmth and depth. Five stars from this reviewer!

A more detailed review can be found on my blog - my blog is viewable under my profile if you click on my name. Amazon doesn't allow links in reviews.