Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
81 helpful votes
82 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on November 1, 2014
my boss give me a hardcopy of this book! I thought I won't like it, but I couldn't put it down! I love the use of photo's and building a story with them all! a perfect mixture of truth and supernatural! all the children in this school, including the young man that speaks in the story, are Peculiar. they all have some sort of gift or power. it's kinda like professor x's school for gifted youngsters. we lean that over time, people have tried to kill or things have been that almost kill of these Peculiar children. they are called the Hallow's and this young boy Jacob and his grandfather , were one of the few Perculiar's who could since them coming. this story is about a young boy , fighting to believe the truth of his grandfather's huge tales of Perculiar childen, and when it's time to truly believe in his story's . it shatter's Jacob's world!

love how the photo's were in the book!
on November 4, 2016
I am an adult, and truly loved this book. It's a fun escape, with lots of action, adventure, and very very imaginative. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating was because at times the descriptions of where they were or where they were going was a little unclear for me. I wish there would have been just a little more detail. But the characters were all well developed, so that you really care about them, and almost feel like you are there with them. I can't wait to read the next one to continue the ongoing adventure.
0Comment|Report abuse
This is one of those books that was perhaps initially written with young readers in mind but as so often happens, it has more or less appealed to the older and more jaded reader than first glance would indicate.

I personally found this work to be innovative and quirky enough that once I read the first page I simply could not put it down until the last page was turned. This is an imaginative fantasy of the first order. It is not a horror story. It is not a world filled with teenagers filled with teenage angst running about wanting to suck the blood from some persons neck nor can it be compared to the Harry Potter series even with a gigantic stretch if the imagination. I suppose the nearest I could call it would be the “Snicket” books but even that comparison does not do it justice.

The author has done a wonderful job of incorporating quite a number of vintage pictures into the story and these pictures do the text justice. I have never seen this done before so effectively...kudos to the author. The author has also included and made time travel a center part of the book and I will have to admit that time travel is a big weakness for me...I love books with this theme.

Probably the biggest weakness of the book is that it does not reach out and instantly grab you like so many of the great fantasy books do such as Tolkien’s work and of course the Harry Potter books. This does not mean that it is not a good book, but by the end I really did not feel I was all that invested in the story or characters. I will go on and read the follow-up books and perhaps change my mind upon reading those.

All in all this was an interesting and quirky read. I look forward to continuing the journey.
on November 22, 2016
I enjoyed the book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, but I don’t think it was as good as it could have been. I went into this book expecting a thriller, but it’s more of an adventure and coming of age story. Jacob would not be able to grow without going to the abandoned orphanage and learning more about his grandfather’s past life, as well as his own life. The overall story could have been creepier, like the children in the pictures. I think because the story is not super scary or super exciting, it makes some readers lose interest in the story. This novel was most obviously directed at young adults, which may be the reason I wasn’t the biggest fan; students in the early high school level can definitely relate to Jacob as he is growing into his own man, and I’m a little past that stage in my life, so it wasn’t relatable. Although it could have been better, I really like how Ransom Riggs ties the story together with the actual pictures of the peculiar children; it helps the reader really visualize what these kids look like and what is going on in the story. It seems as if the whole story is based on the pictures, which is really interesting. Overall, I would recommend this novel, but younger readers will favor it over college students.
on August 11, 2016
This is a book that I've had sitting on my Kindle for year and I only got to around it now because I wanted to read it before the movie was released. After I finished, I cursed myself for waiting so long. This is one of those books that fills a very specific hole in my interests, and it does so wonderfully.

I'm going to be especially vague in this review, only because I think a reader needs to go into this book with as clean a slate as possible. There are more than a few plot twists, and many of them come up out of nowhere...which is always fun in a book like this.

Jacob is an excellent drawn main character. Riggs succeeds in framing this story so we can see that Jacob is just your run of the mill average teenager. I think that element of normality is crucial in this story as the plot starts to veer away from it. I also felt that Riggs paced the novel well. The reader seems to amble into the meat of the books, but is wrapped up in the sprint at the end.

Now, this part is just an aside and had no bearing on what I felt about the book itself. I read this book on my Kindle Paperwhite and, if I could do it over again, I would have opted for a print copy. There are strange and peculiar (get it?) pictures throughout the book and they are just harder to see on the Paperwhite. Also, the way the pictures come up in the eBook version breaks up the reading experience.

This was a fun ride of read and one that I would recommend to everyone, even to those who say that they don't like fantasy novels. It was an engrossing story and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
on May 22, 2016
Excellent series. The first book sets up the background and can be a bit slow going until you realize that there are three books altogether and this first book needs to give you the background. It is rather interesting the way it easily shifts between the present and the past. Not sure if it is rated "young adult" but it is more than appropriate. I understand that there is a movie in the works. It will be interesting to see how they accomplish the peculiarness on screen and whether or not they combine the books or treat them as separate films.
on July 7, 2016
I bought this as a gift for my grandmother's birthday, and I love her so naturally I got her this book plus the other 2 to equal the series. Why these? because they are awesome! I don't own them but I checked them out at the library, and they are so good. It has a lot of action,mystery and I love the vintage looking pictures they include through out the chapters of the characters and settings that they are describing. I looked it up because I saw the trailer for the up coming movie and I wanted to read the books before seeing it. I usually describe this as x-men with a horror twist, the characters are described as a little scary or (peculiar), but the images that they have of them when read at night just leave a spine chilling feeling after seeing them.(could just be me, but I like that) I really could not put these books down. Your going to want to have the entire series ready so you can just pick the next book up. Jacob is the main character and though it starts off a bit average as he describes his privileged though still normal life but it's a necessity in order to understand the reasons for his struggles in the 2nd and 3rd book. I eventually grew attached to him and the main characters and felt the internal struggles he was going though because of all the explanations in the beginning. The middle is the action filled adventure he has traveling from loop to loop in order to save everyone and the 3rd is the finally where everything finally comes together. You will not be disappointed, they are making a movie about it so make sure to read the book before. I love the outside of the book it made a beautiful gift since the outside had a vintage feel to it. I usually don't like naming the exact things I like about the books within the story because I don't want to ruin it for those who have not read it yet, but if you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and will try my best to answer them.
on May 20, 2016
If you want to get involved in a fun world, this is the book. Not only is the story solidly written, but it constantly deals out unpredictable surprises. Making this story even more interesting though, are the pictures, and the tale of how this story came to be! It is worth your time to read the history behind these creepy pictures, and the author's endeavors to create this story.

I purchased this book on Kindle, and have used it in my English classroom as an outloud read for several years now. I open up a Kindle on my big screen, and show the pictures as I come to them. The students spend long minutes studying these unusual photographs, and then talk about the story all school year.

The fact that Tim Burton is turning this into a movie is a real seller, as well. I look forward to seeing how closely he is able to follow this fascinating adventure, and how well it translates to the big screen. As an adult, I enjoyed this book. My high school students also love it. I'm sure middle school age students would find this story to be fun, but be aware that it does have some language in it.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on October 31, 2016
The premise of this story intrigued me, in particular, the use of the vintage photographs. Originally, Riggs wanted to do a picture book of the strange photographs, but after collecting them, a story immerged and he wrote this book.
My other reason for picking up this book is a bit more personal. My best friend went to high school with the author, and I spent time in Sarasota, where the author grew up and where the first part of the book takes place. Riggs described Florida as only a true Floridian can. The nuance is impeccable. It was like being back in the fine city.
As for the story, it was complex, amusing, scary, and suspenseful. Riggs accurately depicts the mind and actions of a teenage boy. Told from the viewpoint of Jacob, we follow him from Sarasota to the small island near England, as he searches for answers to the death of his beloved Grandfather. There, he finds pieces to his past, his family – and himself.
With a delightful macabre, a lighthearted strangeness, and a ghoulish heart, this story explores prejudice, history, family, and what makes us who we are. This story is complex enough for adults, but tame enough for middle-school aged readers. Worth reading, particularly for a chilly winter night.