Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 6,089 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,293 reviews
on February 18, 2016
Very quick read. Interesting book that kept me intrigued from start to finish and I don't usually read these fantasy type books. Now that they are making this book into a movie, I would highly recommend that you read the book first. The movie doesn't appear to be following the book very much at all and I would hate to see someone disappointed in what they think is the book portrayed on the screen.

I am a longtime member of Amazon and myself rely heavily on reviews provided by others when making a decision as to whether or not to purchase an item--whether that purchase be one that I am making through Amazon or another source (such as a local store); therefore, I am very aware of the value of user feedback and do my best to assist others in making a quality decision by providing quality feedback.

Was this review helpful to you? If so, I would very much appreciate it if you would rate this review accordingly. Many thanks!
on October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
on October 17, 2016
This YA book was not what I was expecting! At least not when it started. I’d seen it on shelves for years, but I think I was expecting a haunted orphanage, third-person sort of fairy tale. When I began reading, I wasn’t prepared for as lovably flawed of a narrator as Jacob Portman, a wealthy Florida teenager who’s trying to get fired from his job. The writing was excellent and the book was, to steal a word from author Aimee Easterling, unputdownable. I was addicted to the story about the strange photographs of creepy children Jake’s grandfather kept, and how Jake witnesses his grandpa’s grisly and mysterious death, and especially his therapy sessions with Dr. Golan, after which Jake and his dad agree to visit the Welsh island of Cairnholm where Jake’s grandfather had once lived as a WWII child refugee.

Riggs’s writing is some of the best I’ve read. The book is enhanced by dozens of strange photographs procured by the author, which help the story unfold and come to life. In the second act, things take a turn for the wackier when Jake discovers a time loop in a cairn and is transported back to September 3, 1940. There, he meets Miss Peregrine -a Minerva McGonagall type of headmistress – and the same peculiar children, all with superhuman powers, from his grandpa’s photographs. This includes the feisty Emma, who was once his grandpa’s sweetheart, but who now has eyes for Jake. The witty dialogue, old-fashioned figures of speech, and U.K. slang really stood out among the new cast of characters, to the point where I felt I could really hear the kids speaking in their accents, each in his or her own unique voice.

I was fairly obsessed with the majority of the novel, until I came to the third act, and it began to play out more like an average YA fantasy novel. I had been more intrigued when Jake was straddling his real, present world and the time-loop world; but once we plunged into the full-fledged peculiarverse, I was ready for a resolution. I don’t plan on finishing this series soon, but I can see why this book is so acclaimed. Ransom Riggs writes with phenomenal skill!
on February 3, 2017
I could hardly contain myself while I waited for the mailman to drop off my Amazon.com order containing the first installment of Ransom Rigg's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I had read a blurb describing the book and had seen all of the photographs Riggs was incorporating in his storytelling. The premise is simple enough; there is a group of misfit children who are gathered together in a Victorian Era house under the tutelage and protection of an austere beauty by the name of Miss Peregrine. The book comes off like the spurious offspring of a love triangle between Edgar Allen Poe, Tim Burton and Stan Lee. Miss Peregrine is the early twentieth century Charles Xavier with her mansion full of prepubescent, genetically askew students. The bad guy in the story is even a being that shares the same gifts as her peculiar children but he has chosen a different path that sets him and his cronies at odds with Miss P's tiny soldiers.
These are all the ingredients for a children's story capable of standing out amongst its peers and going on to become the type of commercial phenomena that publishers have been searching for since the boy who lived finally graduated from Wizarding School.
Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children appears to be the kind of idea that spreads like wildfire among children and then on up through every marketable age-group targeted by advertisers and their ilk. In the end, though, all the book turns out to be is a really good idea. There is little substance to the book. Reading through the chapters one gets the sense that the author poured his heart and soul into the first third of the book, submitted it, got a huge early advance and a fast approaching deadline and just filled as many pages as he could as quick as he was able to.
The scenario I put forth is pure fiction but, at least, it offers some explanation as to why the draft that made it to my hands was approved by the author, editors and the publishing company.
This is one instance where I would urge anyone who hasn't read the books to not bother with the effort and watch the film adaptation instead. Perhaps the director and screenwriters will do this brilliant idea justice.
on December 9, 2015
I am a huge fan of fantasy and all it's subgenres - HOWEVER, I can't believe the hype about this book! The photographs look cool and they had a great marketer, which is why I think this took off. The story though is silly, and loosely put together. Nonsensical - which feels unbelievable and pointless. The story feels EXACTLY as though it were contrived around a collection of photographs that had to fit the characters - which is I'm sure how it was written. Very contrived feeling, overall. I never felt compelled to read the sequels, and that's saying something.
on May 16, 2016
This book had so much potential to be great. Overall, I found it boring. The characters did not come to life for me. I could not visualize the setting. I know those are strange things to say when the author included so many interesting pictures! I think this may actually be this book's problem though. The pictures are so mysterious and awe inspiring, yet the characters fall flat. I did like how the author used actual vintage photographs to create a story. That is pretty neat and a way of creative writing that I've never heard of before. Not interesting enough to even read the other two books in the series though.
*spoilers*
The fact that the main character falls in love with his grandfather's girlfriend is super gross and distracting to the story. And even though the "children" are supposed to be in their 80s and 90s, their use of language and personalities didn't seem authentic. Hey, I know it's fictional, but it still needs to be believable, ya feel me? Overall wouldn't recommend. I ended up giving my copy away.
on December 12, 2013
After reading the novel I was just so curious about the graphic novel version that I had to buy it which was interesting for all of about 5 mins. The artwork and detail are impressive but the novel conveys the story much better as well as infusing the story with the sinister quality that just makes it so fun!
on March 24, 2017
Subtle humor, puzzling mysteries, fantastical creatures, and teen romances-these are just a few of the elements the reader will encounter in the inventive teen novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs.

Moody Jacob Portman regrettably works a low end job at his family business, Smart Aid, your typical 7-Eleven. The only thing keeping him inspired in his seemingly dull life is his grandfather, Abe Portman. As a child, he was told stories about monsters and peculiar children that could do wondrous things, like levitate, or bring creatures back from the dead. But all he has for evidence are some crummy old cheap vintage pictures and his loony grandfather's word.

Jake’s life begins to take a turn for the peculiar when he’s put through a horrible tragedy leading him to believe that the stories are real. Could they be? Could his grandfather have been telling the truth all along? Could the children be real? Could the monsters be real?!

As the story progresses Jacob discovers more about the incident he suffered, clueing him onto a mystery. As this mystery deepens, Jacob finds a magical place known as Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Quickly danger comes to the scene as he learns about the children in the home. Ultimately, Jake discovers that only he can save the children.

Jacob’s transition from a moody teen, to a lively hero must have been my favorite part of the novel. The most fundamental part of a series is the characters and their progression throughout the story. Jake’s relatable, down-to-earth personality keeps you rooting for him throughout his ups and downs.

The plot of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, keeps you on your toes with surprising and mind boggling plot twists. Though the book contains some profanity, and I would not recommend this book to any reader under 13, I feel that it only enhances Jacob’s emotions and better expresses his thoughts.
on May 31, 2016
I starting reading this to the kids (12, 10 and 7) and really it's not for kids. Alcohol, drug references, violence and profanity. I would say it would be an interesting read for young adult or older people. I ended up not reading it to them after the first few chapters. That's probably my fault for assuming it was appropriate for kids because of the title.
22 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this inventive, imaginative book. The amount of thought which went into even the smallest detail was a thrill to see in these times when so many books seem to be simply thrown together. The colors and designs chosen for the pages which precede every chapter and then to have the color continue with the borders of the pages featuring the photographs made the entire project come together and result in a cohesive, well produced book. The photographs themselves are wonderful and I can imagine the fun and excitement people had in discovering such interesting old pictures and sharing them with this author.

The story within the covers absolutely lived up to all the effort put into catching the reader's attention. It would not matter at all how good the book presentation itself was if the story could not capture the heart and mind of those reading it. Ransom Riggs has written a story about people who are *peculiar*. Surely everybody has known someone who was a little different, a little unusual. This story presents the world through the eyes of these peculiars and lets us all see what it looks like from their perspective. These characters though had an added ability which truly made them different. Yes, this is a fantasy story, but it is also just the tiniest bit realistic enough to make you sit back and wonder if such happenings might be possible. I enjoyed getting to know all the principal characters and even those who stayed more in the background were people I want to meet again in another book. Riggs has left his characters afloat in the ocean on a journey to a time they aren't sure about and a destination they don't know yet. In the background are the ships of the war that is raging in 1940. I really can't wait for the next installment in this journey. Always remembering that now that the children have left the safety of their time loop they will begin to age. Riggs has almost unlimited opportunities for where he wants this series to go because he probably has quite a large selection of photographs to chose from. I'll be waiting to see what he comes up with next.
66 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse