BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Pick of the week PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
33 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2016
This story is very peculiar..no pun intended. Its very mysterious and creepy once you get into it. I did come to read this one with a picture in mind. I saw the movie first and knew i needed to finally read it. Although there were some minor differences from book to movie the books detailed photography brought to life what the movie couldn't. This is considered a horror genre type novel, but its not as dark as you may think. The plot was well thought out.i can see how some events could confuse you. The characters were quarky magical and interesting. The idea of loops and secret history really sets this story apart from others. I know this may not be everyones cup of tea, but its definitely an "out of the box" story and deserve a chance. I enjoyed this. Id considered reading the whole series.
on December 11, 2014
Jacob Portman used to love the stories that his grandfather told him; tall tales spun from his childhood as a World War II refugee in Wales and supported by a bizarre collection of photographs. Eventually, as he slips into his teenage years, Jacob stops believing the far-fetched stories about his grandfather’s fellow refugee children, all of whom purportedly have unusual abilities like invisibility and fire handling. His beloved grandpa has been pulling his leg, he knows, and he soon puts the stories out of his mind, trying instead to have a normal life.

All of that changes, though, when Jacob is the sole witnesses to the frightening murder of his grandfather, a horrific tragedy that leaves him reeling in therapy. On his therapist’s suggestion, he finds himself headed to Wales to visit the old home where his grandfather grew up, the result of a mysterious letter left to him. Suddenly, his grandpa’s tales don’t seem so far-fetched after all—Jacob discovers that, against all logic, the peculiar children from the photographs are alive and well, seemingly preserved in time.

It isn’t long before Jacob finds himself in over his head and in possession of some peculiar qualities of his own as time manipulation and monsters come to the surface.

A perfect creepy read for Halloween that uses actual vintage photos sprinkled throughout the pages to heighten the twisted tale. Highly recommended.
on March 29, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of HARRY POTTER and LORD OF THE RINGS and love fantasy. This story also made me think of CHRONICLES OF NARNIA. There is some time travel, so be prepared for that and a little violence. I predict the series will be very popular when the movie is released in September this year. It was a little hard to understand at first but then I couldn't put it down during the last half. I download on Kindles all the time but bought a hard copy to share with my family who also love fantasies. This will be THE NEXT BEST THING in movie series. I read in no time and have passed the hard copy to my daughter.
on May 21, 2016
I wanted a copy of this book due to the popularity, thinking I'd get the chance to read it. I ended up listening to the audiobook counterpart with my youngest son during our lengthy car rides. I've enjoyed it immensely and he requests "play the story" every time we get into the car, even if it's just a quick errand. Now that the book is being released as a movie we are excited! This should make an excellent movie for all ages.
on December 26, 2016
I bought this book because I was intrigued by the movie. As with all movie adaptations, there are differences in how the story unfolds. The book was very good, interesting and an easy read. The children are peculiar. The author does a good job about making the story about a modern boy, and relationships across the generations. It is about family stories told across the generations. And it's about how safe places can be confining.

As an adult, I liked the main character exploring, learning about himself, and learning about his grandfather's past and stories. And I liked Jake finding a community of other peculiar children. I read this book on the Kindle app on my iPad, and the formatting of the old photographs was fine - I was able to stretch them to see details if the photo was initially too small on the screen (Others said they had problems with the pictures if reading via Kindle - maybe if you had an iPhone or Paperweight this could be an issue, but this was fine on my iPad and I enjoyed the inclusion of the pictures interspersed throughout the story)

I'm trying to figure out the wights and hollows, which were easier for me to understand in the movie. But the ending is very different from the movie.

I definitely liked this book enough to buy the other two books in this series, and am going to start reading Hollow City next, to see if it fills in some of the gaps.
on November 1, 2014
my boss give me a hardcopy of this book! I thought I won't like it, but I couldn't put it down! I love the use of photo's and building a story with them all! a perfect mixture of truth and supernatural! all the children in this school, including the young man that speaks in the story, are Peculiar. they all have some sort of gift or power. it's kinda like professor x's school for gifted youngsters. we lean that over time, people have tried to kill or things have been that almost kill of these Peculiar children. they are called the Hallow's and this young boy Jacob and his grandfather , were one of the few Perculiar's who could since them coming. this story is about a young boy , fighting to believe the truth of his grandfather's huge tales of Perculiar childen, and when it's time to truly believe in his story's . it shatter's Jacob's world!

love how the photo's were in the book!
on December 21, 2016
It's a healthy thing to celebrate the talents that make us all special, and each one of us has a either a physical, mental or spiritual refuge to which we go in order to keep ourselves centered. Our own insecurities often cause us to consider our most unique and interesting traits or strengths as peculiarities in comparison with those of other people. It's hard to imagine a pod of outcast orphans happily living in a charming but sheltered sanctuary for years on end with no objective in mind other than safety. It seems an untenable situation with all the pressure from outside influences that have always been there, and will always be there. Nevertheless the idealism and the fight between the plucky good but outcast children and their very evil adversaries is one we all like to play in our heads. Don't we all wish for a doting and protective mother like Miss Peregrine who loves us for what we are not what she thinks we could be? Splitting sides into good and evil is something we all do. One can easily ascribe good and bad traits to family members, bosses, co-workers and, of course, all those people in clubs and committees. In the book the bad guys are humanoid monsters and Nazis. The good guy is Jewish. The psychiatrist's last name is Golan - which is very much like Golem - a monster of Jewish tradition. Quite derivative but still very entertaining.
on November 4, 2016
I am an adult, and truly loved this book. It's a fun escape, with lots of action, adventure, and very very imaginative. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating was because at times the descriptions of where they were or where they were going was a little unclear for me. I wish there would have been just a little more detail. But the characters were all well developed, so that you really care about them, and almost feel like you are there with them. I can't wait to read the next one to continue the ongoing adventure.
This is one of those books that was perhaps initially written with young readers in mind but as so often happens, it has more or less appealed to the older and more jaded reader than first glance would indicate.

I personally found this work to be innovative and quirky enough that once I read the first page I simply could not put it down until the last page was turned. This is an imaginative fantasy of the first order. It is not a horror story. It is not a world filled with teenagers filled with teenage angst running about wanting to suck the blood from some persons neck nor can it be compared to the Harry Potter series even with a gigantic stretch if the imagination. I suppose the nearest I could call it would be the “Snicket” books but even that comparison does not do it justice.

The author has done a wonderful job of incorporating quite a number of vintage pictures into the story and these pictures do the text justice. I have never seen this done before so effectively...kudos to the author. The author has also included and made time travel a center part of the book and I will have to admit that time travel is a big weakness for me...I love books with this theme.

Probably the biggest weakness of the book is that it does not reach out and instantly grab you like so many of the great fantasy books do such as Tolkien’s work and of course the Harry Potter books. This does not mean that it is not a good book, but by the end I really did not feel I was all that invested in the story or characters. I will go on and read the follow-up books and perhaps change my mind upon reading those.

All in all this was an interesting and quirky read. I look forward to continuing the journey.