Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,254 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,519 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2017
Subtle humor, puzzling mysteries, fantastical creatures, and teen romances-these are just a few of the elements the reader will encounter in the inventive teen novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs.

Moody Jacob Portman regrettably works a low end job at his family business, Smart Aid, your typical 7-Eleven. The only thing keeping him inspired in his seemingly dull life is his grandfather, Abe Portman. As a child, he was told stories about monsters and peculiar children that could do wondrous things, like levitate, or bring creatures back from the dead. But all he has for evidence are some crummy old cheap vintage pictures and his loony grandfather's word.

Jake’s life begins to take a turn for the peculiar when he’s put through a horrible tragedy leading him to believe that the stories are real. Could they be? Could his grandfather have been telling the truth all along? Could the children be real? Could the monsters be real?!

As the story progresses Jacob discovers more about the incident he suffered, clueing him onto a mystery. As this mystery deepens, Jacob finds a magical place known as Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Quickly danger comes to the scene as he learns about the children in the home. Ultimately, Jake discovers that only he can save the children.

Jacob’s transition from a moody teen, to a lively hero must have been my favorite part of the novel. The most fundamental part of a series is the characters and their progression throughout the story. Jake’s relatable, down-to-earth personality keeps you rooting for him throughout his ups and downs.

The plot of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, keeps you on your toes with surprising and mind boggling plot twists. Though the book contains some profanity, and I would not recommend this book to any reader under 13, I feel that it only enhances Jacob’s emotions and better expresses his thoughts.
on December 12, 2013
After reading the novel I was just so curious about the graphic novel version that I had to buy it which was interesting for all of about 5 mins. The artwork and detail are impressive but the novel conveys the story much better as well as infusing the story with the sinister quality that just makes it so fun!
on February 11, 2016
I've been a Miss Peregrine fan for quite a while, and I've always wanted to get this graphic novel version. And wow, is it lovely! The artwork is beautiful, and the colors on all the pages are so vibrant. It was really fun being able to see this visual rendering of one of my favorite books!
on August 21, 2016
This story is, by far, one of THE best I've read in years. I can see why Tim Burton chose to make a movie about it. That being said, the publisher of the book needs to hire a new proofreader, as the copy I purchased for my Kindle was replete with errors. For example, almost every page contains typographical errors. For example, "within the portal" was displayed as "withintheportal" and so on. Some sentences were cut off: "When he alighted the,,,,"....that's it. Nothing after that. This happened enough throughout the book to become annoying, even though I was able to get the gist of where it was going. I don't believe this was the author's error, though.

That being said, the story IS excellent, and I still intend on purchasing the remaining novels of this series. It's entirely readable for older teens as well as adults who have a taste for adventure imbued with a stitch of a fantastical world, realistic enough to capture anyone who steps into this author's heart and soul.
on March 29, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. The book is about a boy who travels to Wales with his father after his grandfather tragically dies. There he discovers the ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and a box full of mysteriously haunting photographs that starts a journey to finding answers. It began with a lot of excitement and had me hooked right away. Then it took a turn.

The phrase "Never judge a book by its' cover" definitely applies to this story. I began reading the story with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of freak show horror story. The book ended up going in a different direction. It suddenly became an adventure/fantasy. I wish the author had stayed on his original course, because it did change the tone of the whole story.

The plot did, however, continue to hold my attention. The pictures incorporated by the author made the story more engaging and fun to experience.

I gave Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a 4 out of 5 because even though the idea for the plot was very well-thought-out; the author's writing and development of the story could have been better. I recommend this for anyone (especially boys) 10 years old and up!
on October 22, 2016
This book tells the story of a teenager who discovers he has inherited some peculiar powers from his grandfather. His quest to discover the truth leads him to an island in the Irish Sea that is the home of a group of children who also have peculiar powers, and who are looked after by Miss Peregrine.

The story seems to be a cross between "Zoom" and "Groundhog Day", as the peculiar powers aren't that weird, and they are stuck in a time loop that repeats the same day, seemingly forever, during the early part of WW II.

As normal for this type of story, there is another group, made up of deformed peculiars, who want to destroy the peculiar children, for their own evil plans.

While I thought the story was original in its take on children with magical powers, I would have liked more action, especially in there fight against their enemies.
on January 9, 2012
This book hooked me with the chilling cover and sparse information on the back. Thumbing through it, I was amazed to see all the weird photos in it. When my wife bought it for me for Christmas and I started reading it, I soon became disappointed. The book is meant for teenagers, a fact that I had not picked up on. While the prologue starts off splendidly, the rest of the story is simple, with simple writing and simple themes throughout. While the adventure of the book isn't horrible, it's hard to thoroughly enjoy the book when nearly everything that happens is telegraphed. The dull moments tend to outweigh the exciting ones, and halfway through the story, I was more interested in finishing it than "discovering" what happens to the characters.

Mind you, I am an adult and was fooled by the cover of the book. I don't think the book is horrible when aimed at it's intended audience, but I haven't been a highschooler for a few years. The photographs interspersed throughout the book are amazing, and I truly love the concept of the book. It brings the media to an entirely new level. This review isn't to bash the author's work, so much as it is to warn other readers that if you are anticipating a dark mystery that will keep you up at night, you will be disappointed.
on February 16, 2016
Going into this book I was a bit on the iffy side because it's said to be a children's book so I thought it would be too tame for me, but I was wrong, this book was great! The beginning was a bit slow but once it picked up it had me well engrossed and I couldn't stop. I read when I woke up, before work, on lunch breaks and at night in bed. I am now kicking myself because I have to wait for my paperback to be shipped so I can read book two. I enjoyed this story very much.
I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this inventive, imaginative book. The amount of thought which went into even the smallest detail was a thrill to see in these times when so many books seem to be simply thrown together. The colors and designs chosen for the pages which precede every chapter and then to have the color continue with the borders of the pages featuring the photographs made the entire project come together and result in a cohesive, well produced book. The photographs themselves are wonderful and I can imagine the fun and excitement people had in discovering such interesting old pictures and sharing them with this author.

The story within the covers absolutely lived up to all the effort put into catching the reader's attention. It would not matter at all how good the book presentation itself was if the story could not capture the heart and mind of those reading it. Ransom Riggs has written a story about people who are *peculiar*. Surely everybody has known someone who was a little different, a little unusual. This story presents the world through the eyes of these peculiars and lets us all see what it looks like from their perspective. These characters though had an added ability which truly made them different. Yes, this is a fantasy story, but it is also just the tiniest bit realistic enough to make you sit back and wonder if such happenings might be possible. I enjoyed getting to know all the principal characters and even those who stayed more in the background were people I want to meet again in another book. Riggs has left his characters afloat in the ocean on a journey to a time they aren't sure about and a destination they don't know yet. In the background are the ships of the war that is raging in 1940. I really can't wait for the next installment in this journey. Always remembering that now that the children have left the safety of their time loop they will begin to age. Riggs has almost unlimited opportunities for where he wants this series to go because he probably has quite a large selection of photographs to chose from. I'll be waiting to see what he comes up with next.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse