Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,257 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,521 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 5, 2016
SPOILER FREE REVIEW - We are constantly encouraging our 11 year old to read more. Until recently she would only flip through magazines on occasion, or pick up a joke book with short one liners. It took a lot of prodding to get her interested in reading a novel. We would go to a bookstore and suggest dozens of books while trying to make each one sound as exciting as possible.

This book was one of the first books SHE mentioned wanting to read on her own. We jumped in the car and raced off to the book store to see if we could capitalize on her "read all of the books mood" once she flipped through the book she was hooked in... inside the store! We wanted to order it on amazon, so we negotiated the two day wait for shipping with her by offering to buy buying all three books in the series. She agreed.

Some people may have an issue with this book's language or somewhat sketchy subject matter being appropriate for children, but honestly... She is 11. It's nothing she hasn't heard by now. If I am completely honest- With as much effort as we have put into encouraging her to read over the years, if she asked us to buy her a copy of Helter Skelter I might seriously consider it. Mom might not, but I would.
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2017
Subtle humor, puzzling mysteries, fantastical creatures, and teen romances-these are just a few of the elements the reader will encounter in the inventive teen novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs.

Moody Jacob Portman regrettably works a low end job at his family business, Smart Aid, your typical 7-Eleven. The only thing keeping him inspired in his seemingly dull life is his grandfather, Abe Portman. As a child, he was told stories about monsters and peculiar children that could do wondrous things, like levitate, or bring creatures back from the dead. But all he has for evidence are some crummy old cheap vintage pictures and his loony grandfather's word.

Jake’s life begins to take a turn for the peculiar when he’s put through a horrible tragedy leading him to believe that the stories are real. Could they be? Could his grandfather have been telling the truth all along? Could the children be real? Could the monsters be real?!

As the story progresses Jacob discovers more about the incident he suffered, clueing him onto a mystery. As this mystery deepens, Jacob finds a magical place known as Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Quickly danger comes to the scene as he learns about the children in the home. Ultimately, Jake discovers that only he can save the children.

Jacob’s transition from a moody teen, to a lively hero must have been my favorite part of the novel. The most fundamental part of a series is the characters and their progression throughout the story. Jake’s relatable, down-to-earth personality keeps you rooting for him throughout his ups and downs.

The plot of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, keeps you on your toes with surprising and mind boggling plot twists. Though the book contains some profanity, and I would not recommend this book to any reader under 13, I feel that it only enhances Jacob’s emotions and better expresses his thoughts.
on February 11, 2016
I've been a Miss Peregrine fan for quite a while, and I've always wanted to get this graphic novel version. And wow, is it lovely! The artwork is beautiful, and the colors on all the pages are so vibrant. It was really fun being able to see this visual rendering of one of my favorite books!
on August 21, 2016
This story is, by far, one of THE best I've read in years. I can see why Tim Burton chose to make a movie about it. That being said, the publisher of the book needs to hire a new proofreader, as the copy I purchased for my Kindle was replete with errors. For example, almost every page contains typographical errors. For example, "within the portal" was displayed as "withintheportal" and so on. Some sentences were cut off: "When he alighted the,,,,"....that's it. Nothing after that. This happened enough throughout the book to become annoying, even though I was able to get the gist of where it was going. I don't believe this was the author's error, though.

That being said, the story IS excellent, and I still intend on purchasing the remaining novels of this series. It's entirely readable for older teens as well as adults who have a taste for adventure imbued with a stitch of a fantastical world, realistic enough to capture anyone who steps into this author's heart and soul.
on March 29, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. The book is about a boy who travels to Wales with his father after his grandfather tragically dies. There he discovers the ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and a box full of mysteriously haunting photographs that starts a journey to finding answers. It began with a lot of excitement and had me hooked right away. Then it took a turn.

The phrase "Never judge a book by its' cover" definitely applies to this story. I began reading the story with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of freak show horror story. The book ended up going in a different direction. It suddenly became an adventure/fantasy. I wish the author had stayed on his original course, because it did change the tone of the whole story.

The plot did, however, continue to hold my attention. The pictures incorporated by the author made the story more engaging and fun to experience.

I gave Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a 4 out of 5 because even though the idea for the plot was very well-thought-out; the author's writing and development of the story could have been better. I recommend this for anyone (especially boys) 10 years old and up!
on February 16, 2016
Going into this book I was a bit on the iffy side because it's said to be a children's book so I thought it would be too tame for me, but I was wrong, this book was great! The beginning was a bit slow but once it picked up it had me well engrossed and I couldn't stop. I read when I woke up, before work, on lunch breaks and at night in bed. I am now kicking myself because I have to wait for my paperback to be shipped so I can read book two. I enjoyed this story very much.
I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this inventive, imaginative book. The amount of thought which went into even the smallest detail was a thrill to see in these times when so many books seem to be simply thrown together. The colors and designs chosen for the pages which precede every chapter and then to have the color continue with the borders of the pages featuring the photographs made the entire project come together and result in a cohesive, well produced book. The photographs themselves are wonderful and I can imagine the fun and excitement people had in discovering such interesting old pictures and sharing them with this author.

The story within the covers absolutely lived up to all the effort put into catching the reader's attention. It would not matter at all how good the book presentation itself was if the story could not capture the heart and mind of those reading it. Ransom Riggs has written a story about people who are *peculiar*. Surely everybody has known someone who was a little different, a little unusual. This story presents the world through the eyes of these peculiars and lets us all see what it looks like from their perspective. These characters though had an added ability which truly made them different. Yes, this is a fantasy story, but it is also just the tiniest bit realistic enough to make you sit back and wonder if such happenings might be possible. I enjoyed getting to know all the principal characters and even those who stayed more in the background were people I want to meet again in another book. Riggs has left his characters afloat in the ocean on a journey to a time they aren't sure about and a destination they don't know yet. In the background are the ships of the war that is raging in 1940. I really can't wait for the next installment in this journey. Always remembering that now that the children have left the safety of their time loop they will begin to age. Riggs has almost unlimited opportunities for where he wants this series to go because he probably has quite a large selection of photographs to chose from. I'll be waiting to see what he comes up with next.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2016
This story is very peculiar..no pun intended. Its very mysterious and creepy once you get into it. I did come to read this one with a picture in mind. I saw the movie first and knew i needed to finally read it. Although there were some minor differences from book to movie the books detailed photography brought to life what the movie couldn't. This is considered a horror genre type novel, but its not as dark as you may think. The plot was well thought out.i can see how some events could confuse you. The characters were quarky magical and interesting. The idea of loops and secret history really sets this story apart from others. I know this may not be everyones cup of tea, but its definitely an "out of the box" story and deserve a chance. I enjoyed this. Id considered reading the whole series.
on December 11, 2014
Jacob Portman used to love the stories that his grandfather told him; tall tales spun from his childhood as a World War II refugee in Wales and supported by a bizarre collection of photographs. Eventually, as he slips into his teenage years, Jacob stops believing the far-fetched stories about his grandfather’s fellow refugee children, all of whom purportedly have unusual abilities like invisibility and fire handling. His beloved grandpa has been pulling his leg, he knows, and he soon puts the stories out of his mind, trying instead to have a normal life.

All of that changes, though, when Jacob is the sole witnesses to the frightening murder of his grandfather, a horrific tragedy that leaves him reeling in therapy. On his therapist’s suggestion, he finds himself headed to Wales to visit the old home where his grandfather grew up, the result of a mysterious letter left to him. Suddenly, his grandpa’s tales don’t seem so far-fetched after all—Jacob discovers that, against all logic, the peculiar children from the photographs are alive and well, seemingly preserved in time.

It isn’t long before Jacob finds himself in over his head and in possession of some peculiar qualities of his own as time manipulation and monsters come to the surface.

A perfect creepy read for Halloween that uses actual vintage photos sprinkled throughout the pages to heighten the twisted tale. Highly recommended.
on March 29, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of HARRY POTTER and LORD OF THE RINGS and love fantasy. This story also made me think of CHRONICLES OF NARNIA. There is some time travel, so be prepared for that and a little violence. I predict the series will be very popular when the movie is released in September this year. It was a little hard to understand at first but then I couldn't put it down during the last half. I download on Kindles all the time but bought a hard copy to share with my family who also love fantasies. This will be THE NEXT BEST THING in movie series. I read in no time and have passed the hard copy to my daughter.