Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 199 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 231 reviews
on February 24, 2011
So back a few years ago, I'm watching this chick flick with Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon. I don't recall the name of it, but it was the one where she was a ghost or something and he bought her old apartment. Who knows. Anyway, about 2/3 of the way through the movie, this song is playing that I find myself really enjoying. After disregarding the remainder of the film, I paid attention to the credits until I saw the listing for a song that seemed to resemble the lyrics I'd heard. There it was - "Colors", performed by Amos Lee. Amos Lee? Never heard of the guy. The next day, I headed out to a nearby Borders and found his self-titled first album. I figured what would happen would be the same thing that always happens...I love one, maybe two tracks off a CD and don't really care for the rest. Well, as I drove home I found myself really connecting with song after song. Before I knew it, I had reached the end. As much as I loved colors, I found myself moved even more by a few of the other tracks - particularly "Arms of a Woman".

Well, it's now several years later and Amos Lee has become my favorite musician ever...I've seen him play locally to a packed Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta, and I've certainly purchased each of his four albums. My favorite is still Supply and Demand, but Mission Bell is another wonderful effort. It's been a while since this happened, but I had a very emotional reaction when I first heard "Violin". This is truly a beautiful song. I wanted to know a little more about the inspiration behind it, and I found an NPR clipping where Amos talks about it. He said that he wrote it a year ago during a very cold January. He was feeling somewhat isolated at the time, had been a while since he'd been in a relationship, etc.

I hope my boy Amos is making beautiful music for many years to come.
on November 20, 2016
Here's what I would do. Go get an old Ford F-150, get a cassette adapter for your iPod or iPhone or whatever phone you have, and drive around some country roads listening to this album. Preferably with the "Windows Rolled Down."
There is so much depth and emotion in this album, despite the simplicity. Maybe that's what makes it so deep. Regardless, buy this and support Amos Lee. We need more singer/songwriters in our generation.
on April 9, 2011
Every now and then a particular artist strikes just the right chord in my soul. Some examples over the years are greats like Janis Joplin and Otis Redding way back when, and much more recently, Norah Jones, Johnny Lang, Joss Stone... OK, so you get the idea.

Well, I've just added Amos Lee to my list. I had not heard of this guy until recently when I heard him on satellite radio. [I'll bet you can't guess which one! LOL] After hearing him only a couple of times, I bought this CD. Wow! I am blown away! I LOVE this guy's music! And to discover that there are other CDs to explore by him is icing on the cake!

Each of the songs on this CD strikes deep. There are some that strike deeper, maybe because they have some meaning to me or maybe it's just because you can just FEEL what he's singing. For instance, just listen to the "Hello Again" track. Hasn't everyone had that special someone that he's longed for so long to see again, then the moment comes. Surprise! This is not the same person you knew and loved so long ago. Life has dealt a hard blow. The minor chords in this song help to bring the sorrow to life.

Then comes "Learned a Lot." This one touches anyone who has spent those lonely moments staring at the ceiling or talking to the walls. Yeah, you know who you are! The waiting, the longing, the feelings of despair. Yet, out you emerge on the other end, tattered, torn, but somehow stronger from what you've learned. Amos really brings it home!

"Windows are Rolled Down" is another cut that says, "It's been a rough road, but tomorrow's a brighter day!" Cut after cut, this CD plays to that little part of each of us that likes the melancholy, and still provides hope. Great job, Amos!

This is a CD that I'll play again and again until I can sing along without missing a lyric!
on May 1, 2017
I bought this for one song but really liked most of them.
on February 8, 2011
"Mission Bell" is in my opinion, the most mature of any of Amos Lee's albums. He brings in some great talent to sing with him, Willie Nelson, and Lucinda Williams. He uses maracas and some other instruments in the songs, bringing a different sound to the album, that doesn't rely strictly on his voice or guitar. Also, Amos' voice sounds like it's getting better. He has a great voice, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I believe it sounds EVEN BETTER on this CD than his previous albums. If you like his music, you will be impressed. If you are new to Amos Lee, I would suggest starting with his first CD.
on June 7, 2017
I collect anything that is crow related so had to have this CD
on March 20, 2017
love his music
on September 25, 2015
I was not familiar with this artist until I heard a song of his played on the radio a few weeks ago. I listened to clips of most of his albums and chose this one partly because of the two duets included with other artists. I like every song, and have played the whole album many times. I love both versions of Mission Bell (one the title piece and the other with Willie Nelson) Am sure I will continue to find and purchase more of his music.
on November 6, 2011
Mission BellI only heard one song (a performance on "the Late Show") by Amos Lee before I bought the CD. I immediately wrote down his name so I could look up this amazing artist. I ordered the CD a few days later, and am SO not disappointed. I LOVE it. One other reviewer said it is monotonous, and I can almost see that (but I listened to it twice in a row) but it will be a seriously welcome addition to my playlist on my iPod. The only complaint I have is that there are no lyrics included in the liner notes. The liner notes and printed lyrics are pretty much the only reason I buy CDs anymore - otherwise I'd just by the MP3s. This does have liner notes, although just credits, not anything else. All in all, it is a lovely lovely CD and I will listen to it for years, and no doubt spread the word about this very pleasing young man. I can also highly recommend "blowitoutahere", from whom I bought the CD.
[...]
on August 4, 2016
3 stars for condition, not the music! My wife LOVES Amos Lee so she was exited to add this album to our collection. Was just disappointed that the first time we placed the record on the turntable we noticed it was a little warped. It still plays, but you can hear it a little. Didnt open till months later, so not sure if an exchange can happen.