Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 199 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 236 reviews
on January 1, 2012
For anyone who doesn't already own the previous Blu-ray release of this trilogy, then now is the time to buy - But there's a caveat.

But first, the quality of the films:

Mission Impossible is a very well crafted film. It has action, appropriately placed jokes to break the tension once in a while, and believe me, this film does a great job at keeping the tension palpable, and the acting is great all around. It actually even adhered to the original series method of storytelling to a certain degree. Top notch film for anyone who's a fan of suspense and action.

Mission Impossible II... meh. I enjoyed it for what it was, a mindless popcorn action flick. Directed by John Woo (Broken Arrow/Face-Off), the M:I formula is thrown out of the window, the character of Ethan Hunt is transformed into a cocky arrogant, and the only thing remaining is lots and lots of action, which has a tendency to be a little hard to swallow at times. That being said, it's still fun to watch. This is pure action eye-candy, and if you're OK with that, you're going to have a lot of fun. If not, well...

...The Mission Impossible III at least comes in to save the franchise. Directed by JJ Abrams (Alias, LOST, Star Trek), this film is a true return to form. A great story that's paced out evenly and some mindblowing action. Personally, it's still a shade under the original, but this film holds its own very well.

The best thing about all three films is that they're all seperate entities for the most part, meaning, you don't have to see any film before you see the other.

Now, back to that 'caveat' I was talking about - The audio. It's all LOSSY audio, which is fairly inexcusable for a Blu-ray in this day and age. Yes, it's true that this boxed set has the same exact encodes in video and audio the original releases had, and that was pretty early in the HD game, but that's STILL no excuse. The studio really should have just taken the lossless audio and made a new encode for this release. So, what now? Does the studio give us 'proper' releases after the fourth film hits Blu-ray? My personal opinion is this - If they release a four film boxed set at that time, you're not going to get anything new from the original trilogy. So you may as well pick this up now. After all, the price is pretty stellar.
1515 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2012
I must admit that this package wasn't on my list to pick up as I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw all three movies at the theater. I remembered them being entertaining with lots of action but other details didn't stick with me. When I saw this just for $17.99 on Easter Sunday, April 4 I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered it.

Mission Impossible (my rating: 4 star) is actually a very decent effort and the movie is loyal to the original TV series with look and feel of it, including the storytelling style. Ethan Hunt and his team go on a mission to retrieve a list that contains the names of secret agents but the operation goes wrong and Ethan finds himself trying to uncover the list and the identity of the mysterious mole named "job".

Mission Impossible II (my rating: 3 stars) Unfortunately this movie is probably the weakest installment in the entire franchise. It is not even remotely close to the original. Actually, the basic plot line is not that terrible and there are some redeeming qualities. However, the first act is ruined by the romance between Ethan and Nyah which is built on empty dialogues, cheesy lines, not to mention the ridiculous car race scene where both cars get tangled and spin out of control. However none of this is match to what happens in the last 20 minutes of the movie which is pretty much filled with one nonsense action scene after another, cars flying in air, crashing into one another exploding, motorcycle race, Ethan and Sean riding their motorcycles toward each other and jumping in air, colliding with each other in mid-air with 80 miles per hour speed and never-ending fight sequence with lots of karate gimmicks. I understand that action movies are not always believable and they are not supposed to be realistic but there is a line and Mission Impossible 3 crosses that line by miles (John Woo may be technically a potent director with technical skills and I admit each action scene is filmed perfectly but that's not enough to make a good movie).

Mission Impossible III (my rating is 5 star). I can honestly say this movie is the saving grace of this box set. Some might rightfully argue it is even better than the first one. It is not as loyal to the original TV series as the first one is but it is very entertaining and moves with excellent speed. It has some incredible action scenes, gun fighting and explosions, but it still manages to stay within certain limits. Mission Impossible III is only second to Mission Impossible IV The Ghost Protocol which is not part of this box set.

Overall, I think this a great box set especially for $17.99. I am not sure about the criticism about the lack of lossless audio some other reviewers mention. I understand lossless (uncompressed audio) is the clearest sound available but then again there are many Blu-ray titles that don't have uncompressed audio but they still have, as all these 3 movies have, 5.1 DTS HD audio which is still great.
on September 17, 2014
The movies are all good in their own right. All have good action and good characters though the feel of the ones past the first one are odd enough to feel a bit dis jointed. If you want to fill in a few places in your action collection these three make decent additions and all three being in a single case is really nice. I really got the set because I really like the first one and the others were really just an extra bit of "why not" in this purchase. I don't think I have re-watched 2 and 3 since I have gotten this set, might have to take care of that some evening.
on May 24, 2014
I am a big fan of Tom Cruise. I have seen most of his films. These Mission: Impossible films are great. My wife and I had a MI film festival one Sunday and still love the action and way-out special effects. Tom never ceases to entertain us. We usually go to the theater to see his newest when it come out, then purchase the DVD when available to relive the great movie. If you like action, MI gives it to you without all the blood and guts, just great stories, fantastic locations and special effects and believability from hanging by his fingertips from an rock to sprinting down the side of the highest building in the world, you can't help but be on the edge of your seat.
on April 6, 2017
very good movies all in one set
on July 21, 2017
Cool affects and plot.
on June 7, 2015
I was disappointed at first when I watched Mission: Impossible 1, as the story/concept was different from the TV version. It was always team work of experienced people from different expertise. So when I saw the movie version, it was a one man action. However, Mission Impossible movie collection are packed full of action. If you love action....and Tom Cruise, you'll love this move.
on May 28, 2015
As a used package, the disks were in very good condition and played perfectly on my home player. As a James Bond fan, I enjoy the action sequences on the Mission Impossible Series. I just ordered IM: Ghost Protocol to view the stunt climbing Tom Cruse did on the Burj al Khalifa
in Dubai.
on February 1, 2015
Great collection for MI fans. I love the first MI and forgot how great the 3rd MI was. I would've given it 5 stars, but the 2nd one was the only one that was OK. It's definitely a great series overall and Tom Cruise makes it work as Ethan Hunt. Great movie collection if you're in the mood for non-stop action.
on February 28, 2013
We spend a entire day watching these movies while it was snowing out and enjoyed each one of them. The action of the movies kept us interested and watching, story lines are good. I would honestly recommend this collection if you enjoy the Mission Impossible movies and make sure to add Ghost Protocol as well. We already owned the last movie and the first movie we had in VHS format so it had to be updated and what better way to do that but with blue ray.