Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 57 reviews
on April 14, 2014
A result of a writers strike in the late 80's, it was decided to make a second generation series of Mission Impossible episodes. This series consists of updated versions of re-written scripts from the original 60's series, although you might hardly notice that.

Jim Phelps comes out of retirement, Barney is replaced by his real life son as the tech guru, the others are not from the original series but play their parts very well. Everything is updated to late 80's technology in regards to all of the " tools of the trade " used in these episodes.

Video and Audio quality are the same as with the original Mission Impossible series on DVD, absolutely excellent. For anyone that has the complete set of the 1960's Mission Impossible, I would say these are must haves as I doubt Mission Impossible will ever be made again. I have watched many of the original series over and over again and I am sure I will of these as well. There is just so much detail crammed into each episode, every time you watch one of them over again more not before noticed detail will come out.

Get them while they are still available.
on December 22, 2015
MI was one of my all time favorite TV shows; especially the first three seasons with what I consider the original casts. I especially liked Steven Hill and was disappointed when Peter Graves took over in second season. But with the remaining cast from the first season Graves did not skip a beat and after a while he became the man. (His brother James Arness of Gunsmoke fame, was also a favorite of actor of mine and I am glad both achieved fame in their respective shows.) I was sorely disappointed when Bain and Landau did not return. So I was excited to see the 88 and 89 seasons which I missed. This is pretty much in parts updated stories from the original series. I enjoyed seeing Greg Morris in his cameo roles and his son did a decent job as his successor. Overall though not as good as the original series. I did not realize how much cursing had moved into the series for you never heard that so much in the original series. I hate shows with so much cursing. Yet, I really enjoyed the one where Barney is left behind. So for all MI fans this is the best. I don't particularly care for the movie remakes of TV shows because it is too much of the special effects. There is still some acting in this series and that is a plus for me. I recommend watching.
on March 8, 2014
Even though they re-made some of the plots from the original 70's series, it was still good.

New cast members are okay. The new "face" was as good, as wasn't really as believalbe as Martin Landau.

Of course it was interesting to see Greg Morris back as guest star in 2 or 3 episodes - but we was supposed to be retired.

And Peter Graves a tad long in the tooth to be still playing spy..

But I still loved 'em.

My son enjoyed watching them, as he had never seen them. - and of course, didn't have all the special effects, which really makes them better than the modern stuff, I think.

On big screen, you do see some issues of film or tape translation issues.
on April 21, 2016
Five stars for content, one star for picture quality. Evidently the videos were not digitally remastered. I felt as though I was watching an old TV and needed to adjust the antenna to get a better picture. At first the poor picture quality made it difficult to enjoy the stories but I got used to it after a while. The picture may look better on a smaller television or a computer monitor. In my opinion the two seasons are a must-have for any devoted fan of the original Mission: Impossible television series.
on August 6, 2013
I am a huge fan of the first 5 seasons of the original run. I was thrilled to see it come back. The casting is good and using some of the original reworked scripts during the writers strike of 88 was understandable. It was good to have Peter Graves back at the helm, but admittedly he was starting to look a bit old for the part. It was great to stir old memories from 20 years prior and it's still great to enjoy them again today.
on November 22, 2015
This was not quite as good as the original 1960's and 70's TV series, but it was close. I liked the updated use of technological advances of electronics and computers, although they didn't quite have cell phones yet. I'm glad to have this DVD set as at the time of the writer's strike, I was not able to see all of the episodes and it's refreshing to have the entire collection. This is in addition to the original TV series that I have on DVD as well. Mission Complete.
on January 14, 2017
Not as riveting as the original...but intriguing. Peter Graves and Phil Morris keep the fire lit in this reboot. It ended in 2 seasons. Wise decision...because attempting to top the original series,(though lower in tech...1960's-70's) was an impossible mission from the start.
on May 21, 2017
Some episodes are good while others feel extremely boring and tired. Later on I read they were reused from the original series. The best one is where they lose a member.
on June 21, 2014
Great series. I enjoyed Mission from the beginning right thru the final episode. Great addition to a collection. These were done prior to CGI, and although a few of the things they did were a little "iffy", it is still a great series to just enjoy.
on April 14, 2017
The 1966-73 series DVD sets of 7 seasons, also produced by Paramount Studios, were digitally mastered and well done. These 88-89 season DVD sets however, have an inferior video treatment and look no better than old VHS tapes. However, I am happy to have these to complete my collection of this series.