|Print List Price:||$11.99|
Save $8.00 (67%)
Mission To Mahjundar: The Sectors SF Romance Series Kindle Edition
|Length: 298 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
I hope Ms. Scott writes more sci-fi as I really think she's great at it!
1) The romance, to put it bluntly, totally sucked!!! Absolutely none of it felt natural to me. Not only was it obviously written, but it was boring as well since the two practically fell into each other's arms without any buildup or tension. Seriously, it was instant love without an ounce of drama.
2) This book is categorized as a SF romance, except...there is hardly anything SF about it. Very early on in the book it was explained (essentially) that there was no science fiction in the science fiction book because people from that planet were paranoid about new and fascinating technology being spread to the general populace. Seriously, it was a really cheap cop-out. What it sounded like was that the author didn't want to spend all that much time envisioning and describing a futuristic world. How annoying. I think all in all, this was the least science fiction science fiction book I've ever read.
So while the writing was certainly acceptable as far as the author being able to craft well written sentences, what was presented with those sentences really left me wanting.
I hesitate to categorize this book as science fiction; while the hero comes from another planet and has lots of cool science military tools, the woman's world is more magical and mysterious. The story reads much more fantasy than science fiction, but the Romance either way is unquestionable.
Following the quest plot style, the heroine and her hero travel through five different worlds within the heroine's planet - first the streets of the capital where a bomb explodes, drawing them together when he rescues her. Then the deadly political intrigue of the courts which leads to the hero being drafted to escort the blind princess to a burial ground full of danger and magic, both from the living and dead. Fourth stop on the quest is delivering the princess the king she is engaged to marry. Finally our hero and heroine reunite to find themselves fighting in a war of priests and gods.
Each step of the way the stakes are raised, the danger grows, and their love blossoms. Well-balanced building of tension, character backstory, and plot.
Problems with the story ... mostly my dislike of the fantasy quest formula. If I had known it was fantasy instead of the science fiction, I would have avoided this book. In addition, I did not like the gods fight, how the blindness subplot developed, nor the brutaliness of the barbarian king - again standard fantasy fare of raping or threat of rape on the heroine requiring the hero to rescue - and with the MC being blind, the savage treatment feels even more destructive.
Not bad, but not to my taste.
Bonus for having an Inca-style fantasy world instead of the standard Medieval European for the final part of the quest - not applied because the other four stages of the journey were the standard Medieval European.
Really is a 3.5 on my normal Amazon scale to which I generally round up, but because this book is not the advertised science fiction, I am rounding down. Since I grade books on what they are advertised to be, I need to be consistent in my reviews and knock this one down a bit.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Romance > Action & Adventure
- Books > Romance > Military
- Books > Romance > Science Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Books > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult