Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on October 24, 2010
My introduction to the music of Paul Thorn came about a year ago at a friend's pool party. I liked what I heard then and since that time have sought out some of Thorn's back catalogue. Mission Temple Fireworks Stand looked like an interesting place to delve deeper, so I took the plunge. What a fiery musical stew! Those who buy this will be treated to a rollicking mix of Southern gospel rock tinged with a dollop of blues, a heavy dose of country, and a occasional pinch of mawkish sentimentality.
Here's what I like: the rousing opener, Everybody Looks Good At the Starting Line; the inspirational Rise Up; the humorous, clever, and gospel-tinged title cut; Things Left Undone, a mournful tale of regrets; the straight-forward rock of There's Something Out There; the humorous Ain't Livin' In Sin No More; and Nothin' But the Devil which to me, is lyrically the best song on the album because of the truths it tells. About the only song I don't care for is the lachrymose Angel Too Soon.
The CD comes with a multi-fold insert containing pictures, lyrics and all pertinent album info. Its difficult to categorize Thorn's music for those who haven't heard him. If I was forced to peg him, I'd say he's the South's answer to Texas' James McMurtry. Give this album a shot. I guarantee it's worth many a listen.
"Mission Temple Fireworks Stand" is one of Paul Thorn's masterpieces. From the quirky artwork (by Thorn himself) to the oddball mix of country, blues, rock, and comedy intrinsic in the music itself, this CD is hard to beat.

I have always liked Thorn, and especially his peculiar offbeat funny songs full of comic hostility ("Burn Down The Trailer Park" is the best example). This CD not only gives the listener some more conventional pop-like songs, but several original alternative comedy songs full of both broadside humor and subtle nuance, the best example being the title track. This CD has really earned its five stars, and I highly recommend it.
on August 12, 2014
Fabulous musicianship by all; I find myself singing the melodies, and the stories are poignant, philosophical, funny, and evocative of the deep South where I grew up. Thorn does amazing things with his voice-- can be raw, sweet, soulful, intense, sad, thoughtful. All of this group's music, whether original work or interpretations of others', is the best original, creative music I have heard in decades!
on April 28, 2017
As usual, Paul Thorn delivers straight ahead Mississippi blues with a deft turn of phrase. Highly recommended!
on June 12, 2008
I have just recently discovered Paul Thorn's music. On this cd he truly captures how it feels to be in and from the south. You can feel the humidity and hear the crickets, smell the sweat at an old time camp meeting, but this album is not about religon it is about truth and determination. There is not a bad cut on this album, from Everyone Looks Good At The Starting Line to I'm A Lucky Man. The song Mission Temple Fireworks Stand, makes you want to believe even if you are determined not to. I like Paul Thorn was a boxer and no matter how good you are at some point truth will win out over determination.
on January 9, 2017
First saw Paul as an opener for John Prine. Really enjoyed him so I had to buy his CD
on July 25, 2016
I don't get tired of listening. Love to hear it in the car and sing loudly with the songs.
on September 22, 2005
Paul suffers from that rare problem of being very talented but can't be pigeoned holed in a genre like the record companies like to do. I saw him live and was an instant convert!

"Rise Up", is a great song about nmotivating yourself in a time of trouble

"Ain't Living in Sin No More", is a prime example of how people view a relationship

The Title track is a page out of "quirky" America

If you like this you are going to love his latest albumn "Are You With Me?"
on September 2, 2011
Paul Thorn is the most under rated artist in the world. His music and lyrics are simply thought provoking, inspirational, down to earth, something everyone can relate to in life, and just down right good. His sense of humor is refreshing as can be seen on many you tube postings. I now have two of his CDs and will eventually have them all.
on May 30, 2014
I'm a Paul Thorn fan. This is exactly what I expect from him. If you're not familiar with him, listen to some samples. Southern singer-songwriter blues rock. Can't beat it.