You'll enjoy a breathtaking viewing experience from any video source with the amazingly large and bright 62-inch Mitsubishi MicroDisplay WD-62531 high-definition, rear-projection LCD. Featuring a simple, clean design with a compact cabinet (at under 18 inches deep), this set will fit into virtually any home theater furnishings without crowding the surroundings. It includes dual HD tuners and a wide variety of digital inputs (including two HDMI inputs and two Firewire ports). It's also digital cable ready with the integrated CableCARD slot and incorporates TV Guide's On Screen program guide for easy viewing of what's on today and seven days into the future.
The WD-62531 improves on the previous model (WD-62527) with a new and improved light engine featuring a 132-watt lamp (producing 20 percent more light). Large aperture optics improve the efficiency of the Mitsubishi LCD light engine by assuring that more of the available light reaches the screen for a smoother and brighter picture. This new television design also allows for a wider vertical viewing angle so that a bright and detailed picture can be viewed from a multi-level loft or while playing a video game when seated on the floor.
Also, Mitsubishi's 3D Video Noise Reduction system provides a cleaner, clearer picture from nearly any source by analyzing multiple frames to identify and remove video noise or snow caused by distortions in the video signal. This effectively keeps detail in the foreground and eliminates background noise, even in fast moving scenes.
It delivers stunningly bright images thanks to MitsubishiÕs proprietary 3LCD light engine and Plush720p imaging technology, which converts lower quality analog to HDTV resolution. The 3LCD technology simultaneously projects three full-time red, green and blue images, so there's no color breakup or "rainbow effect" that may cause eyestrain or visual fatigue.
The WD-62531 has a 1280 x 720-pixel resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio, and compatibility with 480i/480p/720p/1080i video sources. It pumps out audio via its integrated 20-watt speaker system (10 watts per two channels) and also offers Mitsubishi's Level Sound Dynamics Limiter features, which evens out the sound of programs--even during loud commercial breaks. A 480-line motion-adaptive 3D Y/C digital comb filter delivers state-of-the-art detail and color enhancement. It also includes three video modes (Brilliant, Bright, and Natural) for optimum viewing in different lighting environments, from bright florescent light to sunlight to low light. Each mode has two color temperature settings, high and low, and is accessible via remote control.
Other convenience features include color temperature controls, full-screen image freeze, two tuner picture-in-picture (PIP), split screen, six 4:3 aspect ratio and two 16:9 aspect ratio picture formats, channel labeling, V-Chip parental controls, and a sleep timer. This set features the following video and audio connections:
- Composite AV (RCA): 3 in (1 front), 1 out
- S-Video: 3 in (1 front)
- Component Video: 2 in
- HDMI: 2 in
- RF: 2 in
- DVI audio: 2 in
- Analog audio output: 1
- Digital audio output: 1 (Coaxial)
- Firewire: 2
The IEEE 1394 (also known as Firewire or i.Link) multimedia connection provides simple, high-bandwidth, real-time audio, video and data networking between this Mitsubishi TV and digital video camcorders and compatible PC systems, enabling you to record SD or HD digital video with plug-and-play ease.
Proprietary Mitsubishi Features
This television includes several exclusive Mitsubishi technologies that enhance its picture as well as ease of use.
- MitsubishiÕs exclusive LCD light engine features SmartShutter to improve contrast ratio by four times for blacker blacks and more shades of dark gray. Large Aperture Optics improve its efficiency by assuring that more of the available light reaches the screen. They also provide a larger "sweet spot" so that the image on screen is clear and low in distortion.
- Mitsubishi's Plush720p technology precisely scales and up-converts 480i analog TV signals to HDTV resolution. It uses proprietary algorithms developed in Mitsubishi's R&D labs that compensate for frame rate and 3:2 pulldown, resulting in standard-definition (SD) images that approach the clarity of true HDTV, especially when the sources are DVDs, digital cable and digital satellite signals.
- For sports fans and action movie junkies, QuickMotion is an advanced high speed LCD technology that drives each pixel faster, resulting in speedier response time for crisper, less blurry images.
- Rather than provide standard color and tint controls, Mitsubishi's PerfectColor technology enables you to adjust the screen's color palette with six independent color controls (magenta, red, yellow, green, cyan, and blue).
- Finally, the ClearThought set of features includes all-digital audio output (which converts analog audio signals to digital audio) and the NetCommand single-remote control home theater operation system (which allows you to set up and control components using simple on-screen icons). It also provides the TV Guide On Screen 8-day program guide system, which makes it easy to sort through all the television listings to find your favorite channels.
A microdisplay television typically offers a large screen with a cabinet that's deeper than standard LCD and plasma screens, but far more compact than old-school cathode-ray television (CRTs). This rear-projection TV projects red, green, and blue light that's filtered through a pixel-filled microchip color wheel and directed onto a digital micromirror device (DMD), a chip with millions of hinged, microscopic mirrors attached, which switches on and off up to 5,000 times a second. The reflected light is directed through a lens and onto a screen, creating an image. Unlike rear-projection CRT sets, all microdisplays can get quite bright without losing detail, so they're perfectly watchable in brightly lit rooms.
HDMI is a lossless, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface to link any audio/video source (such as a set-top box, DVD player, or AV receiver) with your TV--all over a single cable. HDMI supports standard, enhanced or high definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It supports all ATSC formats--standard (SDTV), enhanced (EDTV), and high (HDTV).
What's in the Box
Microdisplay LCD TV, multibrand NetCommand remote control (with 2 AA batteries), IR emitter cable
One year on parts. One year on labor. Carry in service.