Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 15, 2011
I've been mixing my own music for nearly 30 years now, when I got my first cassette four-track! I've read so many books and manuals on recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I subscribe to Sound On Sound, Tape Op, etc for several years. I have been posting on Gearslutz (music production forum) for a decade now...

I feel like this one book could replace all that.

Serious.

Every page is packed with amazing tips and tricks. Which makes sense considering this the man behind Mix Rescue in SOS. He gets so many problems thrown at them and he solves them in very elegant, practical ways. He is a professional audio problem-solver! Quite often I'll listen to the before and after mixes at Mix Rescue and think the 'before' sounds perfectly acceptable. Then I'll hear Mike Senior's mix and he's elevated it to a love of professionalism that just sounds classy.

I'm used to reading pretty dry manuals and reference books. This one is written in a very down-to-earth, readable style with a sense of humor as well.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who mixes professionally or casually.
213 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 27, 2017
After producing for 10+ years, I wanted to get better at my mixing skills. I can't believe how much I learned form this book. Mixing aside, it talks about good composition and production fundamentals that I had never even though about. His language is plain and straightforward. He suggests plenty of free and cheap solutions as well. Many books I've read, discuss tricks that are completely inaccessible to people who don't have 15k+ worth of gear and engineering school under their belt.
5 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2017
This book is truly a game changer. If you're like me and thinking you can build a home studio that comes somewhat close to a professional environment, buy this book as it will save you a lot of time and money trying to cut through the industry hype to figure out what you need to move forward. The first four chapters alone detailing nearfield monitoring setups with ported vs non ported are worth their weight in gold alone. My mixes and mastering have jumped leaps and bounds after reading and putting into practical approach the lessons taught in this book.
on January 27, 2016
After mixing and mastering a couple CDs with rather trivial arrangements of just 2 instruments, I thought I was ready to jump into something more complex with songs consisting of 6-10 tracks. Little did I know I was in over my head. I started reading this book just as I was starting the project and am thankful I did. I've been scanning the various chapters and then going into detail where I found big holes in my knowledge. This project is coming along fairly well now, even knowing I'm probably going to find sections of the book that will make me want to go back and redo things that I've already done. For me, with my (limited) prior experience, this book is at exactly the right level for me to understand and make immediate application to my current project. It may not be as great for someone who has zero experience in mixing, but I highly recommend it to anyone with a basic idea about mixing and needing good, practical advice on how to improve quickly.
on August 11, 2017
This book is extremely helpful and well rounded. I spent years muscling my way through a DAW learning the elements of mixing the hard way. This book is very well structured to bypass some of those hard lessons. It still requires some background and sweats having been put into some basic sound engineering, but for those folks who are prepared, this is a very good place to mine for information. I have read through several books in this genre and this one stands above the others.
on February 26, 2013
The first clue this book is valuable is the star ratings versus the used book price. Why do you think used copies sell for nearly as much as new? And what's the percentage of 5 stars? Those two indicators led to my purchase. Admittedly, I thought the price was steep but after reading I think it's a steal.

Senior's book has a very logical flow and seems to consider absolutely every challenge mixers face. You will get the most from this book starting at the beginning and working your way through it, cover to cover. It's a very concise book and will require time to read because it never let's up giving you valuable information.

I am a little at a loss for words in trying to explain how great the book is. All I can say is I've been writing music for over 15 years and have gotten better mixes through a lot of painful, time-consuming trial and error. I know what doesn't work because of MANY failures. But then I start reading this book and see Senior knows those same failures and offers the same logical solutions that worked for me. Even simple things like color coding tracks to quickly get around your mix can shoot the inexperienced in the foot, but here it is called out for you. The tips are endless and, again, the value of this book is somewhat immeasurable. Senior could make a fortune giving endless seminars just touching single chapters.

My take from the book, and this will not sit well with some newbies, is that mixing is still a very hands-on, labor intensive art in its' own right. We live in a world where programmers offer us a bewildering array of affordable equipment past engineers would have sold their house for and could only dream of. Many new to mixing assume the software is the solution in and of itself and blame the programmers when things don't go as dreamed. Some keep buying plugins and add-ons looking for the golden sound solution and when those don't work they believe that if they only could afford what the pros work on their mixes could compete with commercial studios, but the fact is, again, human skill still has the edge. It's painful to know you can't just turn on auto tune and let it run unminded to correct a pitch. It's painful to know your expensive monitors leave you with nothing exciting if you don't know what you're listening for. It might also be painful to realize some songs, no matter who the mixer, can't be fixed because the arrangement is boring, confusing, not musical or too busy. But that's where this book is a Godsend. Rather than tinker at a problem until you lose your hair you can read this book which clearly spells out what you can do, what you probably can't and what you'd be a fool to undertake. Even better, the advice can be applied to a wide variety of set-ups and budgets.

I've read the handful of low ratings and I see the same pattern- readers with unrealistic expectations and not enough patience to mix. That said, I'm not sure how anyone could rate the book so low and expect commercial (or even slightly good) mixing results. The book won't move the faders for you. To them I'd say they might be better off hiring a professional mixer.

A million 'thank you's' to Mike Senior for this comprehensive and immensely helpful book. Seriously, if you're reading this I want you to know you've set the (very high) standard for this topic and I owe you a drink.

Another million thanks to the editor (very succinct, great flow) and to the publisher for bringing this work to us.
4 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2014
This is by far the best book I've read on mixing. I have read a couple of other books on mixing and mastering and hundreds of magazine articles on the subject. Mike Senior tells you not only what problems to look for but gives you multiple detailed solutions for fixing them! A lot of other books will go into long winded descriptions of the problems you may face, but rarely explain them in a way as easy to understand and most often they don't give you clear instruction on how to fix them. And, other resources are often DAW specific whereas Mike Senior gives you the tools regardless of the DAW you're working in.

Let me tell what this book is not. It's not a manual for recording. This book assumes that you already have your project recorded (often from the perspective that you're working on someone else's project) and that you're ready to start mixing. It does not discuss proper micing technique, effects during recording, or basically anything to do with the recording process. This book also does not cover mastering in any form. Senior goes to great lengths to explain exactly how to get a commercially viable mix completed that's ready for mastering. Look elsewhere to learn about mastering.

This book was a pleasure to read. While there is no lack of specific technical explanation, Mike Senior keeps it at a minimum for need to know topics only. Actually most of the technical jargon will be during the first 80 pages when he is explaining why it is so important for your monitoring environment to be up to par. But, I wouldn't recommend skipping over the beginning even if you think you know all about having the proper treatment for your mixing room. There is tons of excellent info in this section and Mike even calls it the most important part of his book. Otherwise, he often tries to throw in a few jokes and some witty banter to help keep it light. And, all of his advice is backed up by quotes from some of the top names in the recording industry.

I'd like to mention that Senior also recommends a bunch of free plugins that can help you achieve the results he is. So, don't think that this is going to be a lesson in "you don't have the cash to get the gear necessary to get the job done."

Seriously, if you've read my entire review then you're ready to click add to cart and check out. You can forgo reading any other source about mixing. Everything you need to know is right in this book. From monitoring, to timing and pitch, arrangement editing, and every type of plugin processing. Honestly, I didn't know there were so many different uses for reverb.

FYI: I've been home recording, mixing, and mastering as an enthusiast for over 15 yrs. From techno to hip hop, and now rock with a live 6-piece band. We record 20 tracks simultaneously in our home bedroom studio. Since finishing this book my mixes are already 10x better than before and I've barely scratched the surface on implementing the techniques detailed in this book.
on January 6, 2014
I'm a musician/songwriter/engineer in my spare time. As a regular job I test consumer products. I found Mixing Secrets to be very useful. There are so many different ways that we can record and mix audio now; Computer/Analog, ProTools/Logic, Rock/Country. I think Mike does a great job here showing you what is really important. If you read this trying to understand the concept and idea rather than expecting him to tell you exactly what settings to use you can learn a lot.

The most valuable information here is the concepts and workflow. Not everyone works the same but it is important to know why some people work the way they do and to try things out for yourself. After reading Mike's chapter on monitors I realized exactly what I could be missing in my current system. I didn't go out and spend $4000 on new monitors. I learned to use a multitude of solutions to chip away at the problem. I now use a mono reference speaker, two sets of headphones and my studio monitors to complete my mixing.

Mike has a great way of explaining the concepts for why he does things the way he does. Understanding these concepts has significantly improved my mixing, both in quality as well as productivity. I've made my own work flow by learning about why his works. My new work flow has helped me work through songs more quickly with less need for going back and starting over. I've become much more productive.

This is a great reference for people learning to mix as well as experienced people who just want to pick up a few new ideas. I think I've gotten a lot better by trying his techniques and seeing which ones fit in my workflow and my style.
on September 1, 2013
First, let me say that I definitely fall under the budget, small home-studio category, which this book particularly caters to. And after reading only 47 pages, I decided I had read enough to be able to write this review. I have spent many hours reading audio forums, and I 'knew' what I was supposed to have in regards to audio monitoring equipment and acoustic treatments. However, Mike Senior finally 'showed' me, unlike anything else I've ever really read, just why they are so important. Previously, I'd always put off these ideas because of the money, and figured I'd be able to work around the issues. After reading just the first chapter, I can already say I've purchased a few items to improve my room treatment, and will be tweeking my room layout to improve the listening experience. All these things were suggested by this book, and upon realizing the difference they made, I am blown away by how terrible my sound was without even knowing it.

Second, this book dumb down everything (to an extent) so that you can figure out easily what he is trying to explain. You do need a bit of a background in audio, so if you are trying to figure out why there are waves in sound still, this is not the book for you. But as long as you have the basics, everything else in this book is attainable.

Lastly, being only 47 pages in (I know, maybe I'm not very trustworthy source...?) but I am having a hard time not skipping ahead pages just too see all the goodies that I have to look forward to. When other reviewers say every page is filled with useful information, they are not exaggerating. So if you are thinking about getting serious about audio mixing, and have been sort of 'blehing' it in the past like me, this book will certainly help you move to the next level.
5 people found this helpful
on June 14, 2013
If you're mixing music, this book should be on your bookshelf. This book did more for my mixes in 4 hours than the previous 5 years of random tidbits of information, advice, and experimentation.

It does a good job of walking you through from start to finish, from monitoring to final mix, and a few tidbits about mastering.

Good information, easy to read, and applicable:
Author did a good job of providing examples and making the information relative to the small studio.
The tips provided are excellent, and very helpful. Author also did a good job of making references to different options in each topic so the information is applicable to different equipment, styles, and situations.

This book has everything you need to know, and nothing you don't.
Very well done, and again, mandatory equipment. It is my go-to book if I'm having issues with a mix, and always seems to provide just the right advice. This is the best book, of many, I have on the subject. Buy it, you'll see...