Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Flash Furniture WL-SB-210-GG Mobile Wooden Ergonomic Kneeling Chair in Black Fabric
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on November 18, 2012
77 comments| 563 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2010
The cushions are 2 1/2" thick and are filled with a stiff pad that is perfect for a kneeling chair. The wood frame is 1 1/2" oak that is finished very well. The frame "legs" are 1 3/4" rounded oak and come attached to the frame. The casters are plastic with a bolt end that you screw into metal inserts in the legs. The center brace, that goes from the bottom knee support frame to the top seat frame, is actually the height adjustment mechanism which is made out of thick metal and is covered with a 2 piece hollowed out oak dowel. It's basically a very large bolt with a threaded cap on both ends. One cap is attached to the top frame and the other is attached to the bottom frame. If you want the chair higher, turn the metal ring (which is the center of the bolt) counter clockwise. As you make the seat higher, the frame pivots at at the center point. Which means not only will the seat get higher, but it will also draw the cushions closer together and at a greater pitch. It works well and makes this chair very solid. It comes with all the hardware you need. The instructions are not the best but you can figure it out. The weight limit is 200 lbs. And it is made in Taiwan.
44 comments| 436 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm a freelance writer and spend a LOT of time on my laptop. I wanted to find a chair for "active sitting" so I could take some pressure off my lower back. I don't have back problems, but I periodically spend SO much time sitting that I'd get uncomfortable after the first 4 hours or so of a long editing project.

I really like sitting/working on an exercise ball (seriously), but hubby over-ruled that idea for my kitchen workstation, simply because it was not quite Politically Correct and clashed with the furnishings : ) Plus, the cat likes to punch and chase the giant ball. He was right, as usual. This kneeling chair ended up being the PERFECT answer for me.

I had been using a very nice, expensive office secretarial chair, but always found myself sitting on the front edge of it, with my feet wrapped around its leg stand so I could keep my posture comfortably erect. When I saw photos of the kneeling chairs, I KNEW THIS was my answer. The only question was whether to go with wood or metal, rolling or not, which type of adjustment, etc.

I'm an admittedly obsessive "pre-reader" of Amazon Reviews before making ANY purchase (this is getting to be a real problem at the grocery store, BTW), so I spent my obligatory hour or two of research before going with this model and I'm glad I did; it's the perfect fit for me.

1. It's comfortable! I like being able to sit upright and the knee support makes this very easy. I can even fold my legs under and behind me, which, for whatever reason, I find incredibly comfortable and relaxing.
2. Looks GREAT with our kitchen furniture (oak table, rolling grey Chromecraft chairs with oak). Although this is a slightly lighter shade of wood, it blends well. Metal would have been a mistake for this reason.
3. Seat and kneepad is comfortably cushiony. I'll update in the future about how well it wears, but it looks promising to me. Plenty soft for my tastes, but I am somewhat Spartan in my approach to life. If it suits its purpose, I'm a happy camper. These pads are soft enough, firm enough, and look tough enough to do their jobs.
4. Wheels are a NECESSITY. I did not realize it until I got the chair, but you need to be able to stand over the chair and then make a fine position adjustment just as you sit. Kind of like mounting a horse. I wouldn't want one that didn't roll for that reason (I AM up and down about a hundred times a day, so this matters to me).
5. Feels solid as you sit; I find it very comfortable. I'm relatively short (5'4") and use the middle of 3 positions.

I highly recommend this product; it's reasonably priced, easy to put together, and "sits great." A winner!

P.S. 6/4/13 Update: Still researching? I just checked for you; Wikipedia has a detailed explanation of the advantages of "active sitting," for those not familiar with the concept.

6/30/13 FYI Update: BUMMER! Though I still love this chair and still recommend it, I DON'T RECOMMEND it as a "permanent" everyday office chair. I correspondingly adjusted my star rating from 5 to 4.

Why? After sitting on this every day for 12-14 hours for 6 weeks, I began to notice that my hamstrings (muscles in the back of the thigh) were actually shortening (I stretch daily). Then it dawned on me: this is a natural result of the bended position of the legs for 8-10 hours a day, of course, a factor I didn't initially consider. Fortunately, I noticed in time. Shortened hamstrings not only make you feel stiff (and short), they also impact your back alignment AND your ability to balance. No harm done for this short period of use, but this could potentially cause problems after years of sitting this way, in my opinion.

So now, though I REALLY like sitting in this kneeling chair, it's relegated to a TASK CHAIR in my office. I do use it for several hours a week and it is a go-to favorite for comfort, but I just don't think any kneeling chair would be a suitable permanent replacement for an office chair for me. But for occasional use, it's still terrifically comfortable.
99 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2010
I've had a kneeling chair for many years, but it was metal and falling apart. I'd looked for a replacement for it, but all the choices were ridiculously expensive. Fortunately in the case of this chair, low price does not equal low quality. It is well made, simple to put together, and it looks good. Another reason I like it is that it does not take up much space - it simply rolls under my desk. I suspect this will last me the rest of my life.
11 comment| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2007
I have an office job where I sit in front of a computer 80% of the time and I started having upper back & shoulder pain. I wanted to try a kneeling chair and chose this one because it was cheaper than the others, looked portable, and looked comfortable.

It is portable- it collapses so that it's only a few inches high. The design is kind of fun, too, and that's what makes it collapsible. But because of the design, the chair is somewhat limited. It has three notches available, but you can't adjust the seat or knee pad heights or tilts independently of each other. I don't know if that most kneeling chairs allow you to do that, but I think they should.

That said, you can probably use a little blanket or cushion to customize the chair fit. I'm 5'8", 120 lb and can comfortably use this chair on the top and middle settings. The seat is just big enough for me. If I were more than a few inches taller, my legs and knees would stick out front so much that the knee pad would probably not be comfortable at its current tilt and height.

Bottom line: the chair is acceptable but I might try a more adjustable one in the future. It did help with my back pain, so I'm satisfied. The quality of the chair parts was fine, seller was fine, shipping was fine, etc.

Also, there are things you'd have to get used to with any knee chair- having pressure on your shins or knees is one. Having your legs somewhat folded is another (my upper calves don't like being squished!). I will probably alternate between my regular chair and this one a few times every day.
22 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2010
I have a bulging disc in my lower spine. So far I've been managing without surgery. I'm usually OK, but every few years I do something that aggravates it and causes several weeks of pain while I recover. I'm in the midst of such a recovery now, and sitting in any normal chair for very long results in more discomfort. I know it's because sitting causes a lot of pressure at that point in my spine.

I have found that kneeling is much more comfortable for my back, but I can't stay in that position very long. This led me to shop for one of these knee chairs that puts me in a position between sitting and kneeling, moving some of the pressure from my lower back to my knees.

Sorting through the reviews, it took me a while to decide on this chair. This one had as few negative reviews as any of them, and it was available to be delivered next day, which I decided to splurge for.

Now I have the chair, I have assembled it, and I'm sitting in it as I write this review. First, I have to say I agree with the "What they don't tell you..." review, so take a look at that one.

I really don't agree with the negative reviews on this product. I am 6'0" and 165 pounds. I have found a range of adjustments that are quite comfortable. The tips of my toes touch the floor, but they are not supporting any weight, so this causes no problem. I can also rest the tops of my toes (my feet are nearly upside-down) on the rear cross bars (on which the casters are mounted.) This is also comfortable.

My wife is about 5'2" and rather light, and the chair is comfortable for her, too. At my adjustment, her feet dangled freely, and this is OK.

The cushions are not quite as pictured; the cushions on mine appear to be a bit more substantial than those in the product photo. In fact, my chair looks more like this product: Wooden Ergonomic Kneeling Posture Office Chair Maybe it's from the same factory in Taiwan? Who knows.

If you have lower back pain like I do, this can make sitting easier. However, you still need to get up and stretch frequently. You shouldn't be sitting in any chair for very long.

The construction of the chair seems OK, but from the looks of it, I would definitely recommend heeding the 200 pound weight limit. Also if you are having back trouble, extra weight is the last thing you need.
33 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
I don't know why I find the info I need AFTER I buy something...

If you do a search you can find a few reliable research papers about kneeling chairs. Here are what I think are the pertinent facts from the research:
(1) The angle of the seat needs to be at least 20 degrees. This chair can do that.
(2) You should end up sitting in a slightly forward position, as you would be for writing or sewing. If you are sitting back on the seat you posture will be wrong, i.e., your weight should be on your lower legs, not your tush.
(3) These chairs are a little hard on the lower legs. They restrict blood flow and put pressure on your shins and knees (kind of depends how you fit on the chair). Not recommended for prolonged sitting!
(4) None of the reviews I saw address this, but it's rather awkward getting in and out. Do you straddle it from behind like a rodeo cowboy or do you sidestep your way in? Either way there is a very real possibility of getting your foot caught and keeling over.
(5) The seat does not swivel (I knew that) but until you try it out you may not realize how often you need to turn a little to the side, or you may not be aware that you use the swivel motion to get in and out of your normal computer chair. The non-swivel puts your back at risk from awkward twisting motions.
(6) Kneeling chairs tend to fit shorter people better. There just is not enough built-in adjustment for long legs.

#1 to #6 are not my opinions, they are from reliable research. Here's a few tidbits from yours truly:
(7) The directions are abominable. I almost sent it back in despair, and then in the middle of putting it together I almost sent it back again because I could not get the holes to match up. As another reviewer said, just start by putting the tubes in place (which don't look much like the illustration). The cushions simply screw on with four bolts and washers each, so set them aside. When you're attaching the giant adjusting screw/bolt/riser, keep in mind that you can screw both ends in or out till the holes match the holes in the wood. It still took me less than an hour. Not much to it really, once you figure it out.
(8) The adjustment bolt has a LOT of adjustment, way more than the one inch someone mentioned. However, I wish I had unscrewed the bolt all the way before I put the chair together because now I'm nervous about at what point will the bolt come completely out of its socket? At what point have I compromised the integrity of the chair? I'm surprised the paperwork doesn't say something about this. You know, kind of like how you wouldn't pull the 2 halves of a curtain rod so far out that there was only an inch of overlap.
(9) I totally do not understand why some people make a big deal about it being way higher than a normal chair. That is not the case for me at all and I tried it at two different computer desks. I have about 2 5/8" of bolt showing. At its lowest position there would be 1/4" showing. As stated in (8) above, I have no idea how much higher I could unscrew it to, so maybe at its highest yes it would be unreasonably high. I can't imagine it being comfortable at that angle.

My Final Thoughts:
I like the change of position this chair offers but I think I'll end up paying for it with problems elsewhere in my body (lower legs or knees). Also I tend to be up and down a lot and I think it's just a matter of time before I get my foot or leg hooked and end up on the floor (hopefully not with a broken leg but I see the possibility).

I feel it's a decently made chair and does what it says it does, hence the 4 star rating. Watch the prices! All over the place, different prices for different colors, etc., you can pay half or double.

So even though it's a hassle and I'll have to pay postage, I think I'm going to send it back. There were no kneeling chairs in the stores in my area so this was the only way for me to try one out. I had high hopes but excuse me, I have to sign off now, my legs are bothering me......
44 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
This chair is great for me. Materials are decent quality. Seems like the padding in the seat might move or wear down after lots of sitting, but for me this isn't much of a problem because I can reupholster it. That is the only reason why I give it a 4. I love that it is adjustable. The price is great.

I will also say that I am a 105lb, 5'1" woman, and this chair fits me perfectly. My 190lb, 5'11" husband...not so much. The weight limit says 200lb, but my guess is if you are over 150lb or really tall, you might not find this chair very comfortable or easy to sit in. Again, I love this chair, but I really think that it is only designed for people on the smaller side.
22 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2010
I like the look and sturdiness of this chair. It also rolls nicely. What I do not like is the lack of thick cushioning. This is a chair that should probably only be used for short periods of time. I cannot see anyone not having discomfort in their knees and behind if they're on it for too long. Also, it's important to note that as you raise the seat, the whole angle of the chair changes, so by changing the height to suit your needs, you may also be changing the angle to one that is uncomfortable for you. If your body happens to fit one of the three pre-sets, you'll be fine. Otherwise, prepare to be a bit uncomfortable.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2015
You have to sit low, if you raise the height the seat will eject your ass to the floor and you will probably strip out the ligaments in your knees. When you try to break your fall you will probably wreck your wrists. I think this chair was designed by orthopedist who needed to expand his matrix -- or maybe it was from Guana-Tomo. I don't know. I WAS SCREAMING. My dog was trying to administer first aid and has been depressed ever since.
review image review image
44 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse