Moby Dick And The Mighty Mightor: Complete Series (2 Disc)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
When sold by Amazon.com, this product will be manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.
Top Customer Reviews
In 1967, Moby Dick & The Mighty Mightor came on Saturday Mornings in Los Angeles (Channel "4"). It was another entry from the (then) mighty Hanna-Barbera Studios, which, from 1966-1968, absolutely ruled Saturdays on all three major affliates in town:
1. KNXT-TV (Columbia Broadcasting System(CBS) - Channel "2")
2. KNBC-TV (National Broadcasting System(NBC) - Channel "4")
3. KABC-TV (American Broadcasting System(ABC) - Channel "7")
With that out of the way, I'll break this review into two sections:
1. Moby Dick - A super whale who finds, befriends and watches over two children while they search for their father who was lost at sea during an scientific expedition. This half of the show details their adventures. Personally, it was just "ok" If standing on its own, it would garner at best, 3 stars.
2. Mighty Mightor - The story of a young cave dweller (named "Tor") who saves an old Hermit being threatened by a menacing T-Rex type of creature. The Hermit, being grateful, bestows upon Tor a mystical club that possesses great power. To invoke this power, Tor only needs to raise the club above his head and say, "Migh-Tor" and he is instantly transformed into a being of great strength and power.
This is where the fun begins.
As a side "benefit", his pet dinosaur ("Tag" - as in "Guten Tag" - german for "Good Day"), is changed into a Fire-breathing Flying Dragon. What used to crack me up was the narrator saying "transferred" instead of "transformed" when it came to Tag. But, I digress...
What amazed me about the cartoon was the level that Mightor dealt with the bad guys he encountered.Read more ›
I was a little skeptical with purchasing something so obscure, yet somewhere in my memory hid Moby DIck and Mighty Mightor's dinosaur world. A little boy of 4 found dinosaurs as sweet as a bowl of Quisp cereal. A prehistoric super hero who punched out these beast were just who I wanted to grow up to be. I even had a stick from outside that I held up and yelled MIGHTOR!!
Next came Moby Dick, who I just loved and imagined him swimming in the bathtub with me. This was innocent fun in the spirit of pure adventure and I didn't care if Tom and Tug were ever rescued. Moby Dick was a boys best friend.
Alas, the spirit of courage and adventure didn't last long as this cartoon wonderland disappeared after a few years. Adult groups rallied, and said the lineup was too violent. I guess it was long enough to sew the seeds of courage and adventure in my mind. Thanks to Warner Brothers, they have released this to a very refined niche audience and I am able to bring this world back to life on Saturday mornings or any time. Now if I only had a bowl of Quisp cereal...
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I watched one disc so far and i do like this show that i saw a while back.thank albert.Published 7 months ago by Albert Carpenter
One of the HB greats, just as good as when they aired back in the 60s. Loved them all over again!Published 7 months ago by Robert Abel
Honestly I had never seen the Mighty Mightor growing up but I saw many Hanna Barbara cartoons of the same ilk so on a whim I gave this a chance, the Mighty Mightor is very fun to... Read morePublished 10 months ago by Akil
Added to my collection of Space Ghost, Bird Man, Herculoids, Space Stars, etc. Not too into Moby Dick, but Mightor rules. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Adam S
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Customers Also Watched on Amazon Video
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Disc on Demand
- Movies & TV > Disc on Demand
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > MOD CreateSpace Video
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > TV