Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

73,770
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2016
The book came packaged nicely and arrived on time. As a huge Hunger Games fan, I was extremely excited to receive this book. I've been completely obsessed with Hunger Games for several years, never miss any books or movies of it. The author’s imagination is amazing which draw me into the story so completely that it's hard to put the book down. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. All in all, this is a really good book which are a great gift for every Hunger Games fan!
22 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2016
I read many reviews about bad packaging and missing pages, but the packaging was in phenomenal! The books were in the original packaging and it wasn't bent or anything like! Very pleased with how nice the packaging was!
review image review image
on May 19, 2016
I'm not going to get into the plot because, well, it's The Hunger Games!!! If you don't know anything about this then where have you been?? This book is the best of the best. Addictive, entertaining, gripping, heartbreaking and absolutely everything in between. It's a must read for everyone and has and will be one of my favourites.

So onto the narrator, while Carolyn McCormick makes for a great narrator, her tones and inflections were great for other characters, she didn't make a good Katniss. She made Katniss sound too old, when she is just a teen! I really think that they should have cast someone a little younger sounding because Katniss came across as too jaded. She did make a great Effie though!!!

Despite this, I would still absolutely recommend the audio to people. This series is one of a kind and no matter which way you read it you will instantly love it!!!
on July 28, 2017
My middle school students greatly enjoyed The Hunger Games series...until Mockingjay. Both the first book and Catching Fire kept them engaged. I used this recorded version of the book along with hard copies. The reader is somewhat soothing after a while, even when describing a story full of action, but I did find this to be a useful tool when teaching the novel.
on January 24, 2011
Search the word "DISAPPOINTED" through all the reviews. Even a lot of positive reviews start out with, "I was dissatisfied with the ending at first but, later I decided I was wrong..." I'm sorry, but in this case, if it feels like the ending sucks, it sucks.

But the first two books were good right? YES. So, from there you're probably left thinking, "Now we have a team of the most proven, charismatic, skilled assassins escape, join a rebellion, and get ready to use their leadership and warfare skills to bring an end to hundreds of years of horrible oppression! Within that is a tense love triangle and characters evolving in important ways. Just imagine how great this could have been! How could you go wrong with such a promising premise?! But it does go wrong. If you liked the first books, this probably *isn't the ending you're searching for*. It shows Collins is skilled when dealing with a smaller story with a more focussed group of characters, but something as large in scope as a whole WAR is outside her comfort zone.

In the end, the story arc of Katnis Everdeen is not satisfying. Mockingjay spends time in the wrong places, has characters' story arcs end abruptly without payoff or meaning, and it is even logically flawed. Even when trying to make an anti-war point, it trips over its own feet. Instead it just paints a picture of a situation where war is necessary to bring peace, and rather than admit that fact, it tries to rearrange the events of the ending to show "See, both sides shouldn't be fighting!" What? I wish this book could get an "undo", and we could get a do-over.

Is this book Real or not Real? I wish, not real. Sad. Hopefully whoever makes the Mockingjay MOVIE will say, "Thanks for the first two books, we'll take it from here."
on May 8, 2012
The secret to a reader believing in something is all in the writing. If the author uses finesse and imagination to create a world different to our own and includes elements we can relate to, then when we are caught up in fiction we are so involved we forget to question what is real or what is not. Those elements are there and we find ourselves thinking that if we don't change things in this world now then we may end up in that other world. It is a fine line at times between fiction and reality. Did I love this book? Absolutely! It is brutal and yet poignant and we live and breathe every step of the games with Katniss. There is so much in all the characters that connects to our daily lives. Fear for our families well-being both in the present and the future, responsibility, the desire to flee from unpleasantness and the ability to find courage under incredible circumstances. The book has a freshness in its story, a capitvating style in which to display it and contains a down to earth approach in plot and syntax that is totally fascinating in its ability to be believable. I know it was written for young adults but this book transcends age, so much so I had already downloaded the second book before I was half-way with this one. Wow! Read it.
on April 22, 2012
My niece kept bugging me to read these books. I thought, okay I will reserve a copy at my local library. After putting the book on hold I saw I was number 1,332 on the waiting list! Whoa. So I decided to fork over the money and buy the set of three books on Amazon.

I'm glad I did.

The books are great. I really am impressed and not due to the hype surrounding the movie and book series. The books are really well written. Suzanne Collins really expresses the mood of the characters in her writing. You feel the gloom and anxiety in "The Hunger Games" as if you are there. You just feel the mood of the books. Not many writers can do this. Hemingway is perhaps the master of this in his writing style, and these books are near perfect in expressing what the characters are feeling with very concise style.You simply feel the emotion of the books. It's hard to explain. Only the best writers can pull this off.

The pacing of the first book is just great. The story just flows. I never felt like putting the book down, in fact I finished it in a couple of days. I can see why the book has caught fire and will be devoured by hordes of readers. It is that good.
on May 17, 2012
Wow.

I did not hear of The Hunger Games until the movie came out. I didn't even know it was a book until I heard some women talking about reading it together. One of them said, "There's an older lady in one of my classes - she's about 40 (~cough cough~ older? oh dear) - and she said she wasn't going to read it because it's a kid's book. But once she started reading it she said she couldn't put it down." The statement made me curious so I checked Amazon. Sure enough, there was a Kindle copy, and it was pretty cheap. I had nothing to lose by purchasing it.

I could NOT put this book down. It was well-written, the story unfolds easily, and I was in awe of the idea. To those people who think this is about children killing children, I assert that it is not. This is a story about the potentially horrendous and devastating power of government. The reader is sympathetic to the beautifully-constructed characters, the settings are well-described and easy to imagine, and there is triumph in the relationships the characters form with each other. The backstories and the easily-understood new words that Suzanne Collins creates help to make this book stand out among its many contemporaries.

This was probably my favorite book of the trilogy, probably because it was the first one and it enraptured me so, and I am jealous of those readers who have not had a chance to dive in yet. I will read this set of books again, but there will never be another first time. ENJOY IT!
The third book in The Hunger Games finds Katniss, along with her family and Gale, living with the rebels in District 13. Katniss has no idea what has become of Peeta and fears he is dead. She unwillingly and reluctantly has become the symbol of the rebellion and the rebel leaders urge her to exploit this via video feeds to the 12 Districts. Katniss at first feigns infirmity but eventually caves in after negotiating an agreement with the rebel leaders that they will not harm Peeta or the other Hunger Games survivors if they assume leadership. Much as she was manipulated by the government, Katniss now finds herself in the same circumstance with the rebel leaders. When Peeta is rescued, Katniss is greatly relieved, but Peeta has been tortured and brainwashed to the point that he is no longer the same person. Katniss vows to kill President Snow for what he has done to Peeta and joins the rebels in trying to overthrow the government. When her chance comes to kill the president, Katniss does something unexpected that could lead to her death.

Collins ruthlessly depicts the war between the Capitol and rebels in a grisly, violent fashion, leaving nothing to the imagination. Once again, she proves adept at peeling away layers of personas of pertinent characters. Katniss is portrayed as a young woman who wants to live a simple life and does not care for her perception as a heroic young woman ready to lead the cause for freedom yet finds herself thrust again and again into this role. The ending will surprise some readers, although this reviewer sees no other way it could have concluded.
on March 10, 2012
It all begins with the drop of a hand and the selection of a name. Primrose Everdeen is the name that is called as the crowd falls silent. Primrose Everdeen is the innocent girl everyone loves, and at only twelve years of age, it is a shame she is the one who has been selected to compete in the annual Hunger Games where the prize for winning is the promise of a great life, and the price of losing is an unfortunate death at the hands of another tribute from another district. This news does not sit right with older sister Katniss, who, in a heat of the moment, uses her voice and volunteers herself instead. Suddenly she and boy tribute Peeta Mellark are thrust into a new world, fed foods of the luxurious kind, polished, and treated as royalty as they are transported to the Capitol where they will train until the countdown runs down and the Games begin. Then the bloodshed begins, as all twenty-four tributes have to face the wrath of nature and man until one tribute remains standing as victor.

In what is, quite possibly, one of the rawest, goriest novels I've read, Suzanne Collins has created a fantastic dystopian world with an interesting premise, and amazing execution. It includes a romance, that even though it isn't the main focus of the story, is great enough for me to enjoy. All of the characters were unique in each of their ways, and the descriptions and character building were sublime. Now I know why people love this series so much and I am glad I bought the box set of all three two years ago. Had I known such awesomeness was sitting on my shelf all of this time, I would have picked it up sooner. After reading, I am DEFINITELY Team Peeta ;)