Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

73,768
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2016
The book came packaged nicely and arrived on time. As a huge Hunger Games fan, I was extremely excited to receive this book. I've been completely obsessed with Hunger Games for several years, never miss any books or movies of it. The author’s imagination is amazing which draw me into the story so completely that it's hard to put the book down. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. All in all, this is a really good book which are a great gift for every Hunger Games fan!
22 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2016
I couldnt get enough of this book. Its just too good. By far one of the best mainstream dystopian novels. It was well-paced with richly developed characters who arent portrayed as overwhelmingly good or perfect. Katniss is a very flawed heroine and tbh she can come off as antisocial and moody at times. But I guess thats a side effect of being close to starvation and death for most of her life. The "minor" characters such as Rue and Effie really hold their own and outshine many of the main characters. It is a must read but prepare to cry. Its just a really well balanced book. When things are getting too depressing something good happens. When things get too happy the roof collapses on your head. Dont just watch the movie because the book really gives you a deeper understanding of the story.
on May 19, 2016
I'm not going to get into the plot because, well, it's The Hunger Games!!! If you don't know anything about this then where have you been?? This book is the best of the best. Addictive, entertaining, gripping, heartbreaking and absolutely everything in between. It's a must read for everyone and has and will be one of my favourites.

So onto the narrator, while Carolyn McCormick makes for a great narrator, her tones and inflections were great for other characters, she didn't make a good Katniss. She made Katniss sound too old, when she is just a teen! I really think that they should have cast someone a little younger sounding because Katniss came across as too jaded. She did make a great Effie though!!!

Despite this, I would still absolutely recommend the audio to people. This series is one of a kind and no matter which way you read it you will instantly love it!!!
on July 28, 2017
My middle school students greatly enjoyed The Hunger Games series...until Mockingjay. Both the first book and Catching Fire kept them engaged. I used this recorded version of the book along with hard copies. The reader is somewhat soothing after a while, even when describing a story full of action, but I did find this to be a useful tool when teaching the novel.
on March 15, 2015
Had to read all the books after I watched the 2nd movie ; Catching Fire, I had to know what was going to happen. And even knowing, their doing such an awesome job with the Movies, I can't wait for the Final Mocking Jay Part ll. I just got to watch the 1rst part last night for the first time at home. Of course I saw it at the Movie Theater, I believe the day it came out. Huge Fan.of every person who has been involved in the making of this Movie. Each of them seem to have the most amazing chemistry & friendship, How could the Movie & story-line be anything but Amazing !!! Kudos ! Awesome Job Well Done By All, Watching everything & everyone who went into being apart of that Movie & the production of it, I was mesmorized at how much everyone put into it, but yet seemed to be under a cover of a different part of our world that we live in. I am so Happy that their are such amazing,talented, genuinely real Peope who are making a Great Movie.
on October 13, 2016
Like so many others, I could not put "The Hunger Games" down. Suzanne Collins has written a masterpiece and I cannot wait to read the next in the series.
I found this book very believable. Scary, but believable! Sadly, the world seems to move more in this direction everyday. What is just a story today - could be life tomorrow? If so, we can only hope there will be a "Katniss Everdeen" left out there, to fight for what is right and for us.
I consider this to be one of the best books ever written on a futuristic society. I put it right up there with greats like, "1984", "Brave New World" and "Soylent Green"
This is a must read, not just for teens, but for everyone.
on October 9, 2013
Suzanne Collins is the author of an action, and at times violent and gruesome book, the Hunger Games. Ms. Collins writes a truly exceptional book, filled with fear, heroism, trust and a very very good story. Set in the future after a devastated war. The capital stages the hunger games to keep the outlying areas in line, 24 participants all children of varying ages, participate in trying to survive while the other 23 are killed by other participants. This is something they have to do or their villages will face sever punishment Katniss Everdeen picked from district 12 is a very powerful character in this story. This story has a very good message about friendship, trust, love?, strength, and determination. I also loved the movie, Jennifer Lawrence is excellent in the lead role, no one could have done a better job, she was made for this role.
on January 24, 2011
Search the word "DISAPPOINTED" through all the reviews. Even a lot of positive reviews start out with, "I was dissatisfied with the ending at first but, later I decided I was wrong..." I'm sorry, but in this case, if it feels like the ending sucks, it sucks.

But the first two books were good right? YES. So, from there you're probably left thinking, "Now we have a team of the most proven, charismatic, skilled assassins escape, join a rebellion, and get ready to use their leadership and warfare skills to bring an end to hundreds of years of horrible oppression! Within that is a tense love triangle and characters evolving in important ways. Just imagine how great this could have been! How could you go wrong with such a promising premise?! But it does go wrong. If you liked the first books, this probably *isn't the ending you're searching for*. It shows Collins is skilled when dealing with a smaller story with a more focussed group of characters, but something as large in scope as a whole WAR is outside her comfort zone.

In the end, the story arc of Katnis Everdeen is not satisfying. Mockingjay spends time in the wrong places, has characters' story arcs end abruptly without payoff or meaning, and it is even logically flawed. Even when trying to make an anti-war point, it trips over its own feet. Instead it just paints a picture of a situation where war is necessary to bring peace, and rather than admit that fact, it tries to rearrange the events of the ending to show "See, both sides shouldn't be fighting!" What? I wish this book could get an "undo", and we could get a do-over.

Is this book Real or not Real? I wish, not real. Sad. Hopefully whoever makes the Mockingjay MOVIE will say, "Thanks for the first two books, we'll take it from here."
on May 8, 2012
The secret to a reader believing in something is all in the writing. If the author uses finesse and imagination to create a world different to our own and includes elements we can relate to, then when we are caught up in fiction we are so involved we forget to question what is real or what is not. Those elements are there and we find ourselves thinking that if we don't change things in this world now then we may end up in that other world. It is a fine line at times between fiction and reality. Did I love this book? Absolutely! It is brutal and yet poignant and we live and breathe every step of the games with Katniss. There is so much in all the characters that connects to our daily lives. Fear for our families well-being both in the present and the future, responsibility, the desire to flee from unpleasantness and the ability to find courage under incredible circumstances. The book has a freshness in its story, a capitvating style in which to display it and contains a down to earth approach in plot and syntax that is totally fascinating in its ability to be believable. I know it was written for young adults but this book transcends age, so much so I had already downloaded the second book before I was half-way with this one. Wow! Read it.
on February 27, 2015
The Hunger Games has been a phenomenal success for Suzanne Collins. I had always avoided this series due to the violence, but suddenly realised that I shouldn’t judge it without checking it out. So I finally gave in to the hype and watched the first movie. I liked it, and decided to read the series before watching the next movies.

This book explores a raft of contradictions (wealth/poverty, truth/lies, story/reality) and a constant blizzard of conflicting emotions and thoughts from, Katniss, the main character. I describe this book as a dystopian society mashed with Big Brother and Survivor, topped off with the good old fashioned family entertainment and finality of a Roman style arena battle to the death. But the arena’s equivalent to an eviction/tribal council is a far worse fate for the losing contestants than having their flame extinguished by, Jeff Probst, and then basking in 15 minutes of fame. If you don’t win, you don’t live. It’s simple.

Overall, it’s a tragic tale of society gone mad that I hope stays as fiction. I found the story very engaging and liked that Katniss was so relatable. She was just a no fuss, loving, intelligent girl trying to survive the oppressive conditions of District 12, whose noble act threw her into the nightmare of The Hunger Games. I think she kept that grounded vulnerability, and true dedication to her family all the way through the book.

I’m not really a romance junkie, so I don’t usually pick up books that have it, but I do understand that the love triangle in this book between Katniss, Peeta and Gale adds a layer of complexity to what Katniss has to deal with. I have written these comments before moving onto book 2. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the next books.

In a nutshell: I must confess… I have become a Hunger Games fan. Recommended for anyone who likes to support the underdog, and who isn’t put off by romance or violence.

It’s a great read.

Note: I don’t claim to be a pro-reviewer, I am a reader. My reviews are based on my personal thoughts around the story that the book is trying to tell. I try to focus on the story (which is the reason I read) rather than dissect the book and pass comment on typos, writing style or structure