Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

73,807
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2016
The book came packaged nicely and arrived on time. As a huge Hunger Games fan, I was extremely excited to receive this book. I've been completely obsessed with Hunger Games for several years, never miss any books or movies of it. The author’s imagination is amazing which draw me into the story so completely that it's hard to put the book down. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. All in all, this is a really good book which are a great gift for every Hunger Games fan!
170 helpful votes
171 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on November 17, 2017
A fantastic, hard-to-put-down, dystopian epic in the same vein as Battle Royale, with boys/girls, or 'tributes', from their respective districts being forced to kill each other in a vast, outdoor arena until only 1 remains while their loved ones and those in the capital watch a live televised version of the event. This is essentially a satire of what life has become with the Reality TV craze if they were to pair such programming with televised executions should a UFC victor be allowed to kill his/her opponent at the end of a match.

In the society that Suzanne Collins has exquisitely crafted, the districts are essentially broken down by their main source of commerce and lorded over by the oppressive capital city, and this type of televised violence and barbarity is considered totally normal and accepted for what it is, a grim reminder of darker days...

There's almost a creepy parallel here between how are own society is progressing and the influence that media and government have in our lives.

But enough of the doom/gloom thoughts. This is a wonderful read that nobody should pass up.
on August 2, 2016
I read many reviews about bad packaging and missing pages, but the packaging was in phenomenal! The books were in the original packaging and it wasn't bent or anything like! Very pleased with how nice the packaging was!
review imagereview image
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 21, 2017
I'm glad that I've waited long after the movies to start reading these books. I enjoyed the movies and love reading the differences, some small and some that seem very significant and changed my view of things I felt or thought I knew. I have so many questions about some of the changes that were made in the jump to the big screen, but other than the changes to Peeta, I think they did a good job of staying true to the book in the amount of time they had to tell the story. I can almost hear all of the fans of this series crying that they wish they could read the series again for the first time, so I feel a little excited to be envied. :)
on May 19, 2016
I'm not going to get into the plot because, well, it's The Hunger Games!!! If you don't know anything about this then where have you been?? This book is the best of the best. Addictive, entertaining, gripping, heartbreaking and absolutely everything in between. It's a must read for everyone and has and will be one of my favourites.

So onto the narrator, while Carolyn McCormick makes for a great narrator, her tones and inflections were great for other characters, she didn't make a good Katniss. She made Katniss sound too old, when she is just a teen! I really think that they should have cast someone a little younger sounding because Katniss came across as too jaded. She did make a great Effie though!!!

Despite this, I would still absolutely recommend the audio to people. This series is one of a kind and no matter which way you read it you will instantly love it!!!
on November 12, 2017
The second of the hunger game books. While it does tighten up the characters some and opens up the plot, mostly at the end, it is not exactly deep or amazing. A good crisp read it is mostly for the Young Adult genre and it does show.
This book much like the first reads like it was meant to be turned into a movie. After watching a part of the Hunger Games movie I can't say that I expect much in that direction. Although to be fair, that isn't the Authors fault.
A good read, but lacking in the depth the make it a great read. Which sometimes just what the Doctor Ordered.
on July 28, 2017
My middle school students greatly enjoyed The Hunger Games series...until Mockingjay. Both the first book and Catching Fire kept them engaged. I used this recorded version of the book along with hard copies. The reader is somewhat soothing after a while, even when describing a story full of action, but I did find this to be a useful tool when teaching the novel.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 22, 2012
My niece kept bugging me to read these books. I thought, okay I will reserve a copy at my local library. After putting the book on hold I saw I was number 1,332 on the waiting list! Whoa. So I decided to fork over the money and buy the set of three books on Amazon.

I'm glad I did.

The books are great. I really am impressed and not due to the hype surrounding the movie and book series. The books are really well written. Suzanne Collins really expresses the mood of the characters in her writing. You feel the gloom and anxiety in "The Hunger Games" as if you are there. You just feel the mood of the books. Not many writers can do this. Hemingway is perhaps the master of this in his writing style, and these books are near perfect in expressing what the characters are feeling with very concise style.You simply feel the emotion of the books. It's hard to explain. Only the best writers can pull this off.

The pacing of the first book is just great. The story just flows. I never felt like putting the book down, in fact I finished it in a couple of days. I can see why the book has caught fire and will be devoured by hordes of readers. It is that good.
on May 17, 2012
Wow.

I did not hear of The Hunger Games until the movie came out. I didn't even know it was a book until I heard some women talking about reading it together. One of them said, "There's an older lady in one of my classes - she's about 40 (~cough cough~ older? oh dear) - and she said she wasn't going to read it because it's a kid's book. But once she started reading it she said she couldn't put it down." The statement made me curious so I checked Amazon. Sure enough, there was a Kindle copy, and it was pretty cheap. I had nothing to lose by purchasing it.

I could NOT put this book down. It was well-written, the story unfolds easily, and I was in awe of the idea. To those people who think this is about children killing children, I assert that it is not. This is a story about the potentially horrendous and devastating power of government. The reader is sympathetic to the beautifully-constructed characters, the settings are well-described and easy to imagine, and there is triumph in the relationships the characters form with each other. The backstories and the easily-understood new words that Suzanne Collins creates help to make this book stand out among its many contemporaries.

This was probably my favorite book of the trilogy, probably because it was the first one and it enraptured me so, and I am jealous of those readers who have not had a chance to dive in yet. I will read this set of books again, but there will never be another first time. ENJOY IT!
0Comment|Report abuse
The third book in The Hunger Games finds Katniss, along with her family and Gale, living with the rebels in District 13. Katniss has no idea what has become of Peeta and fears he is dead. She unwillingly and reluctantly has become the symbol of the rebellion and the rebel leaders urge her to exploit this via video feeds to the 12 Districts. Katniss at first feigns infirmity but eventually caves in after negotiating an agreement with the rebel leaders that they will not harm Peeta or the other Hunger Games survivors if they assume leadership. Much as she was manipulated by the government, Katniss now finds herself in the same circumstance with the rebel leaders. When Peeta is rescued, Katniss is greatly relieved, but Peeta has been tortured and brainwashed to the point that he is no longer the same person. Katniss vows to kill President Snow for what he has done to Peeta and joins the rebels in trying to overthrow the government. When her chance comes to kill the president, Katniss does something unexpected that could lead to her death.

Collins ruthlessly depicts the war between the Capitol and rebels in a grisly, violent fashion, leaving nothing to the imagination. Once again, she proves adept at peeling away layers of personas of pertinent characters. Katniss is portrayed as a young woman who wants to live a simple life and does not care for her perception as a heroic young woman ready to lead the cause for freedom yet finds herself thrust again and again into this role. The ending will surprise some readers, although this reviewer sees no other way it could have concluded.