Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Modern Greek
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 14, 2014
I have grown up savoring Mediterranean and Greek flavors, but I had a limited knowledge of how to reproduce them in my kitchen. I saw the great reviews for Modern Greek, so I decided to check it out. Wow! Every recipe I've made has been fantastic, and the book is filled with pictures that will make your mouth water. Technique is simple and easy to follow, but I would recommend this book for someone who is comfortable with cooking in general (any cuisine). For example, in some of the bean and soup recipes, the directions are to cover the beans with water and boil them, but the amount of water isn't specified. I did some research and decided that filling enough water so that it was a couple of inches above the beans was adequate (and it was!). Other than that, though, the instructions are pretty clear.

I've tried the Trachanas Soup (divine), the black-eyed pea and chard stew, and the fassoulada so far, but I literally want to go through and try every single recipe. Ones that I have my eye on are Cod with Leek Rice and Fried Stuffed Zucchini Blossom flowers.

This cuisine is healthy, flavorful, and easy to make. Really can't recommend this book enough!
on July 15, 2016
Though I've only tried one recipe, I added this book to my cookbook collection to have a good Greek cookbook available.
I tried the Potato, Zucchini, and Tomato recipe and it was very good for a side or a light lunch with salad and bread.
I will update when I try more. Beautiful photography.
on September 9, 2015
This is one of my three all-time favorite cookbooks. Two Greek ones, and a big World Food Spain cookbook. The other Greek one? Classic Greek Cooking by Daphne Metaxas. A lovely set of books. The photos in this book by Andy Harris are truly inspiring.
on June 12, 2013
The book is a family favourite and often referred to. The recipes are clear and easy to follow. I was replacing a copy that has been misplaced. Thank you
on June 4, 2014
I really like this book. The pictures are beautiful, the recipes easy to follow and it is an entertaining book. I learned quite a bit from this book.
on January 31, 2007
UPDATED: 9 Years since I bought this cookbook and I still cook out of it at least several times a month. Everyone raves and asks me for the recipe when I make the Zucchini fritters (limes on the side to squeeze over it) with homemade Tzatziki sauce. Even my kids love it.

I picked up this Greek cookbook mostly because of the wonderful photographs. A novice cook like myself feels much more confident if they can see what the dish is supposed to look like when cooked. Now I have to say that on top of making these recipes for the first time, I also can not cook/bake with gluten so I've had to substitute some of the ingredients with gluten-free versions...but all of my recipes from this book turned out amazing! I've made the skordalia, fried zucchini, Cod w/Leek rice, Fried Cheese, Spinach Pie (Used Thai rice paper to replace Filo - not as good as real filo but got a new GF Filo recipe to try next time), Greek country salad, prawns with feta & tomatoes(OUT OF THIS WORLD!), Spinach rice, Chicken rice with lemon egg sauce, Peas, baked chicken with yoghurt on top, and a gluten free version of the semolina pudding (Replaced most of the flour with a mix of hazelnut flour and some rice flour.) Absolutely everything I have made so far has turned out tasty! I adore this cookbook and plan continue cooking meals from it for my family often.
on June 25, 2008
I bought this book for the retail price and have been happy with it ever since. It is truly worth every penny -if you like Greek food and if you like to cook. I fall into both of those categories. I have another book about Greek cooking as well that was produced by some ladies of a Greek Orthodox church, and of course there are some of the same recipes, but they do differ somewhat. I find that the author of this book has better recipes overall. They seem to be a bit updated and perhaps more healthy as well.

A lot of these traditional Greek recipes seemed intimidating at first. I always liked Greek cuisine, but felt that the recipes may be too labor intensive. I was also very afraid to work with fillo. I'm not anymore! I absolutely love his recipe for spanikopita! Using his recipe, I've feel that I've made better spanikopita than any I've tried elsewhere. It's a joy to make and completely worth the effort and cost of ingredients. I could go on and on about how much fun it is to make your own Greek dishes at home. They are quite often better than what I get in restaurants and Greek festivals!

I agree that the layout of the book is nice and it does have beautiful pictures. All of this combined makes a great book!
on August 25, 2006
First, let me just mention that the photography alone is going to inspire you to make a bee-line to your produce aisle or farmer's market, fish market and then to your kitchen. That said, the stunning photos, as I remind myself, are of the very dishes this genius author has put into his cookbook. It is clear that this book is filled with a dedicated, thoughtful collection of recipes, all of which are worthy of trying and tweaking to your heart's content. I can attest to the truth of that (mmmm!).

If you want help thinking in new, healthy, Mediterranean ways for your diet, then these recipes of authentic Greek cuisine are going to send you well on your way. Do yourself a favor. Treat yourself to this book whether or not you're a vegetarian, omnivore or whatever other label you want to call yourself based on your diet preference. Life is finite so get over the live forever concept. Enjoy your food however you need to and this book will give you plenty to go on; I can say that it sent me on a journey that made me want to visit Greece, yet it embraces the life of westerners, all without being condescending to the possibility of having limited resources (or presumptuous that we don't have any limits, unlike some books I've read). This book is a new favorite and I highly recommend it.

By the way, the basic ingredients for the kitchen from the perspective of the author is in the back of the book, unlike many other books I have come across.
on February 4, 2015
Have started wanting to make Greek and Middle Eastern food again. Nicely written ,,, especially for those who want pictures of the finished product. Recipes are authentic and some are previously unknown to me. Always like to try new things. Price was right. I bought this used and its in excellent condition.
on January 6, 2004
I was drawn to this book by the large amount of gorgeous pictures on almost every page that makes every recipe tempting to make.
I have made several of the dishes and they were all a big hit. My husband has just moved to Canada from Greece and I was able to bring Greece dishes to him...
The only recipe that was not so great was the melomacarona which did not resemble the sweets that I had many times in Greece.
If you must choose one greek recipe book, this is a must have!!!