From the Back Cover
Supercharged Perl programming for every developer, sysadmin, and Web professional.
- In-depth coverage of referencesthe cornerstone of advanced Perl programming
- Complete application examples, not just code snippets
- CGI, networking, GUIs, and object development
- Enterprise database integration applicable to all databases including Oracle and Sybase
Modern Perl Programming will help you master Perl's most robust, powerful featuresso you can make the most of the language whether you're a beginner or an experienced scripter. Michael Saltzman starts with a rapid-fire Perl tutorial and refresher. Then, using actual applicationsnot just code snippetshe presents expert guidance on the Perl features that deliver the most power, productivity, and efficiency.
- Practical coverage of data types, I/O, control structures, and operators
- Making the most of associative arrays, hash tables, and regular expressions
- Building your own subroutines
- Developing Web-based CGI and network applications
- Example-rich coverage of references (pointers)-the cornerstone of advanced Perl development
- Object-oriented programming, data structures, and advanced GUI development
- Integrating with enterprise-class databases: detailed examples applicable to Oracle and Sybase and other databases
- Debugging Perl applications
Includes extensive downloadable library of code samples! You won't just get results fast: You'll get great results fastrobust, maintainable, industrial-strength Perl for even the most challenging environments.
About the Author
MICHAEL SALTZMAN is the founder of /training/etc Inc. He has developed extensive course materials, including courses in Perl, C/C++/STL, and Java and has led a wide variety of technical seminars on programming languages and UNIX. Before pursuing a career as a technical lecturer and writer, he was employed for 23 years by the National Security Agency, where he taught a wide range of programming and UNIX system administration courses. He holds MS degrees in Computer Science from the American University and Johns Hopkins University.