Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on January 1, 2013
This book gave me a clear picture of the latest best practices for writing GUIs (graphic user interfaces) for Python programs. I have worked in 27 different programming languages over the years, but for the last six years I have worked mostly in Python or occasionally in IronPython. Several major applications have been developed for private users. Though Tk module for GUIs was used for some of these, I had missed the major improvements that came with Tkinter 8.5 as part of Python 2.7. This book (read in the Kindle version on a tablet) brought me quickly up to speed. Long-time Python users should be warned: Half the Python world is still using Python 2.7.3 because many 3rd-party modules have not been updated to Python 3.x or because legacy software is being maintained. The other half of the Python world is using Python 3.x. The book is written with Python 3.3 in mind. The author explains (a little late) that the Tk module in 2.7 is imported as Tkinter (uppercase T) while it is tkinter (lowercase t) in 3.3. As far as I can find, it is not mentioned that the themed widgets ttk module in 2.7 is a separate module whereas in 3.3 it is sub-module of tkinter. Such minor confusions slow things a bit. But to repeat, it is a very good book. I am delighted with the new GUI tools.
John
on October 2, 2015
As others have noted, this book is a reprint of the Tkinter tutorial at http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/index.html. I don't regret buying it even though the same material is freely available on line... it sometimes helps to have access to an offline reference. And, if all you need is a primer on Tkinter and an overview of Tkinter widgets, then it is a helpful reference. But I was hoping for more when I made this purchase.

The book's description states "you should have a basic familiarity with desktop applications in general, and while you don't have to be a user interface designer, some appreciation of GUI design is always helpful." These two lines conceal a great deal of what's missing from this book. A brief overview of what a GUI application is (eg. Models, Views, Controllers) and how Tkinter fits into that context would have been helpful. The book's front cover claims you can "Quickly learn to create great looking user interfaces for Windows, Mac and Linux using Python's standard GUI toolkit" but, without the broader context, this book really does little more than allow you to create some example GUI's with the toolkit.

Unless you're already an accomplished GUI App designer, better publications are available for realizing the promise on this book's cover.
on February 1, 2012
Bought the book yesterday and haven't finished it but so far I'm enjoying it. I realize that much of this content it available at tkdocs.com, a site I have visited many times in the past, but this format is superior in terms of focusing on python (my interest) and greater thoroughness and references. I have spent countless hours searching the web for modern best practices and packages regarding tkinter on python. At last I have high hopes that this book will significantly curtail those searches. So far I've only run into one technical problem - looks like some ruby code got accidentally inserted in section 4.3 which could really be confusing to an early learner. I'll report back if I see more troubles. Thanks to Mr. Roseman.
on April 30, 2015
First off, this is Kindle packaged content available elsewhere on the web for free and poorly edited at that, with PYTHONTODO marks all over the
place. So $10 is price about three time higher than it should be. I don't mind paying for otherwise freely available content if it means it is packaged better than the other freely available versions, but this isn't.

The book often explains the API in terms of tcl, but never explains the tcl syntax. Clearly this book expect you to already know Python, but it doesn't explain enough tcl, and it doesn't introduce the fact that you can run raw Tcl code in special method on any widget until mid-book.

The style chapter is a bit muddle and is deferred until the very end-- so mentally you have learned all the wrong ways to style a widget before you learn the right way.

Given the quality and quantity of Tkinter documentation, you will probably need to read this document anyhow, if only because it is one of the top three google results.
on April 19, 2014
Updated introductions to Python GUIs are few and far between. This book is a relatively quick read and covers the basics of Tkinter in an updated format. Tkinter is often overlooked since it has been around for so long. Most of the documentation feels very dated. There are few books covering Tkinter so this book and another recent book are very nice to have available. There were relatively few typos in the text or examples. The book is a bit thin on some points, but it all hangs together nicely. While the book is relatively short, I would think it is somewhere in between beginner and intermediate levels. I really enjoyed reading it and appreciate the author taking the time to write it. I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars because it glosses over some topics and does not present a more complete project as a central theme. Some important aspects of GUI programming are program structure and how widgets can communicate with each other. Those points are not really directly addressed, which the author is upfront about. I also think every book written can't be 5 stars. Come on folks. Reviews need some tough love or they are worthless.
on November 20, 2014
This book is incredible. This guy does it right, especially for those of us trying to really learn a language. In all of my many pages I've sorted through on not just Python(and the Tkinter gui) but VBnet and others, all I can say is I wish they all would have had the quality of this. Everything about is perfect -- plain English explanations, great coding examples -- very thorough and by the time you read a page you actually "get it". Another plus is the readability. The font and the "look" of the pages are very easy on the eyes. Now how about something on Python -- not just Tkinter.
on February 18, 2014
This is really an excellent book. No; it is not going to change your view of programming or something like that, but if you want to create attractive GUIs for your python applications, Roseman's no nonsense and lucid descriptions and examples are perfect. The book is well laid out and covers just the right amount of information. Once you've read the book, you'll be able to layout sophisticated GUIs with complete confidence.
on October 17, 2014
This book is exactly what the title says, 'for busy Python developers' and maybe that is why I felt wanting after reading it in about an hour. The most valuable thing I took away was to use ttk and not the classic widgets. However, as I read the book I realized what I really wanted to focus on was the very powerful canvas component. Like the others, it got a 'you can read a lot more about it in the documentation' dismissal where I would have loved several more examples. I did not realize you could tag all the canvas objects and apply transformations to them all that the same time. That tidbit and the ttk info was worth the $10 to me that I paid. It sent me off searching for a book focused entirely on just the tkinter canvas component for visualizations and junior game development (that I teach mostly school age kids here at my school to get them to program). I wanted something to fill the gap between turtle graphics and Pygame that only deals with tkinter canvas, which ships with every Python installation. So far I haven't found such a book and might write it. *grin*

I should note that the Python syntax indentation and otherwise failed completely on my Kindle but I didn't mind so much because I could figure it out.
on December 7, 2014
Disappointing, I was looking for more detail and examples. For example the book early on says the text widget is incredibly flexible and could even be used as a web browser, but there is little more than that other than a list of settings, which don't help.

I did learn a few things, so not a total disaster, but with good documentation kinter could be very useful.
on September 26, 2016
Well written. Clear explanations and good examples.